DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't make this mistake...

frankiez

Reactions
If you ever takeoff from a boat make sure it is stopped when you try to get airborne. I asked my friend to stop the boat so I could launch. My mistake was not making sure we were indeed stopped. We were still moving forward slowly so as I went airborne his boat crashed into my Mavic. While sitting on the boat, it made it appear that I flew forward and crashed into his center console. Not for the weak stomachs. Painful to watch.

Reactions: JRK and skeester
Well, i hope your mavic doesnt sustain a lot of damage
Fyi, we can control our mavic immediately right after we tap on "take off" —> "slide to take off"
In your case u can pull the right stick down to fly backward avoiding the boat (given the area behind your mavic is clear)

Reactions: Subton
Fyi, we can control our mavic immediately right after we tap on "take off" —> "slide to take off"
In your case u can pull the right stick down to fly backward avoiding the boat (given the area behind your mavic is clear)

Yeah, I thought about that later, but at the time I had thought the boat was static

Good tip Thanks.
............................. and ........This is why I don't have friends...can't trust em
with there fancy big boats drinking all that YaHoo ...No sir can't be trusted

Reactions: frankiez

Next time I will pry just hand launch and hold the mavic up high.

If you ever takeoff from a boat make sure it is stopped when you try to get airborne. I asked my friend to stop the boat so I could launch. My mistake was not making sure we were indeed stopped. We were still moving forward slowly so as I went airborne his boat crashed into my Mavic. While sitting on the boat, it made it appear that I flew forward and crashed into his center console. Not for the weak stomachs. Painful to watch.

You just proved the theory of relativity. Hard lesson.

Reactions: BrunoBronosky
I just did a hand launch and hand catch from a boat last week. Did not sleep the night before thinking about all the things that could go wrong. Watched as many videos (of boat launch fails) as I could to prepare me for my first attempt. One thing I learned was to check the boats instrument panel to check for drift speed while stopped and always launch and land the drone from the rear of the boat. You will be able to launch without problems (even if the boat is moving forward) and during landing if something goes wrong, you can at least crash land in the boat and there is no way for your drone to slide in the water as it will be protected by the walls of the boat. Regardless, definitely always good to have the boat stopped.
In the end everything went well (although my hand was shaking like a leaf) and below is the result of that flight. Had to fly and film manually as I was having trouble with the active track staying close enough to the boat. It just kept drifting further way even though I set it to follow at max speed. Any hints in that respect would be appreciated.

I just did a hand launch and hand catch from a boat last week. Did not sleep the night before thinking about all the things that could go wrong. Watched as many videos (of boat launch fails) as I could to prepare me for my first attempt. One thing I learned was to check the boats instrument panel to check for drift speed while stopped and always launch and land the drone from the rear of the boat. You will be able to launch without problems (even if the boat is moving forward) and during landing if something goes wrong, you can at least crash land in the boat and there is no way for your drone to slide in the water as it will be protected by the walls of the boat. Regardless, definitely always good to have the boat stopped.
In the end everything went well (although my hand was shaking like a leaf) and below is the result of that flight. Had to fly and film manually as I was having trouble with the active track staying close enough to the boat. It just kept drifting further way even though I set it to follow at max speed. Any hints in that respect would be appreciated.

Awesome video!
I commented to my wife how cool it looked and how it looks like fun, she gave me 'the look' and firmly said 'NO!' - I guess there's not a boat in my future (sigh)

Reactions: AnneP
Thanks. Though the video is still rough around the edges. Gotta practice my flying and filming skills. Had to chase after the boat in sport mode since the boat was doing 30mph. The shot from the side of the boat was pretty hard as I had to fly sideways to get that shot. I'd like to figure out how to use active track while manually controlling the mavic. I'll definitely be doing it again. Don't take no for an answer. This is what the Mavic was made for and makes it all worth the 1300$

Weak stomachs, painful to watch? Exactly what was painful to watch? I couldn't see a thing.

Bud

I find it interesting that you thought the boat was static. Looking at the water around the boat it appears to be going forward at quite a clip. It wasn't even close to standing still.

Thanks. Though the video is still rough around the edges. Gotta practice my flying and filming skills. Had to chase after the boat in sport mode since the boat was doing 30mph. The shot from the side of the boat was pretty hard as I had to fly sideways to get that shot. I'd like to figure out how to use active track while manually controlling the mavic. I'll definitely be doing it again. Don't take no for an answer. This is what the Mavic was made for and makes it all worth the 1300$

In active track you can have the mavic do a sideways track keeping the target in profile in order to get the shot you mention. You also have a bit of control in follow. I took one of my boat this way and switched sides a couple times.

Here is a clip from my recording showing it in action as well as a couple screen shots of the option from the Go4 App in the description.

Last edited:

LOL you scratched my anchor, classic. That is a good friend, nice boat and a sense of humor.

I find it interesting that you thought the boat was static. Looking at the water around the boat it appears to be going forward at quite a clip. It wasn't even close to standing still.
yep. when I look at the video I see that. I told him I needed the boat stopped to launch. my fault for not making sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom