DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't read unless you like long range

The purpose is simple actually...
The mavic pro and the mavic 2 have a hardcoded limit of 17.9km.
This is not the first drone they have done this to. All occusync drones have a hard coded limitation.

The point is, in my opinion to make sure they don't go as far as the other models.

Mavic air 2 should not go as far as mavic 2....

All the wifi drones, like spark, mavic air 1, and mavic mini have unlimited range as long as you do the mods to go further.

I've taken the mavic mini to 14.8km

DJI says the Max flight distance of the MA2 is 18.5 KMs.
Screenshot_20200520-065946.png
False advertising then?

I think that's the total flying distance which is constrained by the battery capacity.
Oh, so not range but rather milage (on a single battery)? I didn't think of it that way; but you could be right.

EDIT: you are absolutely right. The transmission range is specified here
Screenshot_20200520-071349.png
I was wrong, my bad!

Mavic 1 has a hard coded limit of about 59000ft. Max signal as the limit was reached.

I'm quite convinced 11km may the limit for ma2 but please, go ahead and test the limits. Who knows for sure unless DJI issues a statement?

Thanks a lot for the info.

Is the external battery directly connected in parallel to the stock battery ?
is there any need to equalize the voltage before connecting them together ?
is the internal and external battery charged seperately ?

1. Yes
2. As long as they are close they will be fine.
3. External has to be charged separate from internal.

Mavic 1 has a hard coded limit of about 59000ft. Max signal as the limit was reached.
I'm quite convinced 11km may the limit for ma2 but please, go ahead and test the limits. Who knows for sure unless DJI issues a statement?
There's 3 videos on YouTube confirming the same distance.
None of this contradicts the idea that it's a technological limit as explained in post #18, with improvements in distance due to improvements in Occusync versions.

If DJI allows you to fly out 11 kilometres, it makes no sense that they would have any objection to you from going 11.1 km.

This topic is nothing but BS and conspiracy crap. Every RC has a range limit that can act like a brick wall.
No it’s real. I remember back in the day looking into this on the Mavic Pro and had something to do with the drone measuring distance internally in millimeters and the limit was the highest number the system could count to then it crashed(the program not the drone). Don’t quote me on this it’s real hazy but something along those lines.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
What is the problem? You cannot fly even to 10 km legally, which is the advertized distance. You must maintain line of sight, can you spot your drone if its just 1km away? No you cannot, at least I start losing sight after ~750ish meters depending on weather...

So as long as the signal is not breaking below 1 km we are all good.

IMG-20200520-WA0012.jpg

I have a video of this flight screen recorder starting from 12km to 12.9km shared via WhatsApp. I cannot verify the authencity.

Isn't all this rather irrelevant because no one should be flying outside VLOS and certainly not 10KM with a Mavic sUAV.
The Mavic the OP has gets to where it looses the signal from it's controller so does an automatic RTH What is wrong with that?
Would you rather the drone just kept flying off into the distance after you loose control?

Flying 10, 11, 11.1, 12 km just seems like a juvenile peeing contest.

Last edited:
This person followed it in a car. It will go further that way because is isn't 11km from the controller.
So it hasn't got to the point where the signal breaks down because of the time taken to reassemble the signal over that distance.

Flying your drone 11km from the starting point and then complaining about the loss of signal seems juvenile to me. That kind of range for a $799 USD drone sounds like a good deal. As for whether there's software coding or just a plain ol' loss of signal at that point, it's kinda irrelevant since it exceeded the manufacturers spec. People get worked up about the silliest things. ?

Flying your drone 11km from the starting point and then complaining about the loss of signal seems juvenile to me. That kind of range for a $799 USD drone sounds like a good deal. As for whether there's software coding or just a plain ol' loss of signal at that point, it's kinda irrelevant since it exceeded the manufacturers spec. People get worked up about the silliest things. ?

Nobody is worked up or complaining. The drone is amazing. It's signal is amazing. But some people buy for long range. So just trying to state facts for people who might be interested in it.

Nobody is worked up or complaining. The drone is amazing. It's signal is amazing. But some people buy for long range. So just trying to state facts for people who might be interested in it.

"long range" is VLOS anything else is irresponsible if not illegal and the sort of flying that gets tighter regulations applied to drones.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112