DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

download footage from mavic air 2 towards mac book pro

twiggy

Reactions
hi, how can you download the footage from an mavic air2 to an mac book pro?
the mac can't see the the internal or the flash card storage with "finder".
i use an usb-c cabel.
thanks for reply!

Welcome to the forum.
Best I can tell you is get a card reader and get your files from the sd card.

Reactions: rehkram
i use an usb-c cabel.
thanks for reply!
Concur with above Apple is a finicky thing with DJI when it comes to file transfers beyond the card reader option, which in itself is a bit of a pain on alot of their products as I have come to find. I bought one like this as I have multiple platforms and connectors: https://www.amazon.com/LEEGLOAD-Rea...ds=winghome+card+reader&qid=1606072781&sr=8-7
I transfer to a iPadPro so perhaps this video might help?

Reactions: Bearsfan77
I mainly use the micro SD adapter but both that and the cable work on my MacBook Pro. You have to turn the RC on for it to read.

I mainly use the micro SD adapter but both that and the cable work on my MacBook Pro. You have to turn the RC on for it to read.
Clarify, you must be aircraft on and remote on (Linked) to download files?

thank you all for the info. i had tried my DJI to connect with a 10year old dell pc witch run on win.7, and it works just fine. guess i need an downgrade on my new mac book...??

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Get a card reader and lighting/thunderbolt adapter, plug it into the MBP. Pull the card from the drone and plug it into the card reader which is more closely associated with the MBP

As for me my MBP is plugged into a Dell external monitor that has a card slot on the left side of the screen. Works for me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello Twiggy:

Welcome to the forum! I also fly a MA2 and archive & manipulate my video files on a MacBook Pro. As mentioned above, many folks find removing the card from the drone and using a card reader the most efficient means of transferring files.

With MacBook Pros I’d recommend getting a card reader that also has ports for a older style “square” USB plug. For some reason the MA2 and Mac’s don’t communicate via USB 3 to USB 3 cables, but will communicate via USB 2 to USB 3 cables (referring to the connectors). This will be important when you attempt to update firmware via DJI Assistant 2 on your MacBook. Such updates may fail with USB 3 to USB 3 connectors but will work fine when you use an adaptor and then a USB 2 to USB 3 cable.

Howard Snell

i use an usb-c cabel.
thanks for reply!
I assume your MB Pro has the USB-C ports. If so, this dongle is quite useful, and has a micro SD reader built in.
Amazon.com: MacBook Pro USB Accessories, USB C Adapter for MacBook Pro 13" 15" 16" with 3 USB 3.0 Ports,TF/SD Card Reader, Thunderbolt 3 PD Port Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air 2020-2016: Electronics

Luckily, I have an older MacBook Pro that still has a built-in SD card slot. As usual, Apple has to do away with useful things to get a cleaner "look" to their product. :rolleyes:

apple said that the USB-C ports on the mac can only work if the attached device's USB-C port is configurated as "slave". this is not the case with the mavic air2. this is clearly an program error by DJI. if i use an adaptor USB-C to USB-A (older type usb port) on the side of the mac, the mac becomes the "master" that works. however, this sould not be the solution. the solution should be an proper update to fix this bug...

Actually the C port on the AC has to be configured as slave. It has no reason to be master and if it were master, it wouldn't work with a standard C to A cable.

The C port on the RC however I'm sure does operate as master when connected to a mobile. It operates as slave when connected for charging or to a PC for updating. I believe the cable wiring even with C determines the port operating mode much like it does with the side micro port on older models.

I had to think about that, twice actually. Makes sense.

FWIW I believe the USB spec is a casualty of a badly thought out general shift from client-server to peer-to-peer networking. I don't have the time or inclination to read the IEEE documentation but surely it must be possible for an incoming USB client to establish peer- or client- status at connection time?

To put it another way, why should a lowly cable's pin wiring (hardware) have anything to do with execution privileges, which is, or should be, part of the firmware handshake on connecting? Jeesh! Sounds like a hack to me. I must be getting old.

Last edited:
I believe all that moving to C did was change the physical form factor and make it reversible. It's still client-server and not peer-peer. If it really was peer-peer, we'd have C hubs. What they call hubs are really docking ports. It may have one C port but that's often for feeding in power to the host (laptop)

There are quite a number of pins in C, some that determines the connection operation.

Micro has 5 pins. 2 for data, two for power, and one to trigger OTG/host/master/A mode.
Really the form factor for micro in a host/A mode is supposed to be rectangular, and that's exactly what DJI used.

Reactions: rehkram
Using a late 2019 16" macbook pro and I can access the MA2 SD card and internal storage ONLY with the included DJI cable through a USB dock or hub. Every other cable I've tried does not work: C/C cables, other A/C cables, nothing. Most of the time I just use a card reader.

I use Dropbox on the SC then transfer through safari on my MacBook Pro [emoji106] it’s very quick and negates the need to remove cards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv