DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Draining batteries to ship

Kilboar

Reactions
Hey all.

I’m selling my MP to a friend in MS and need to ship it with 4 batteries.
And ideas on draining these batteries before I ship them?

Thanks much

Hey all.

Thanks much
Fly them

Hey all.

Thanks much
Is the thinking you need to drain them before you are allowed to ship them?

ChatGPT says:

Q: Do you need to drain your rechargeable batteries before you ship them?

A: No, it is not necessary to drain rechargeable batteries before shipping them. Rechargeable batteries, such as lithium-ion batteries commonly found in smartphones, laptops, and other electronic devices, are generally considered safe for transport when properly packaged. They do not pose the same risks as non-rechargeable batteries, such as alkaline batteries.

However, there are certain guidelines and regulations that govern the shipping of batteries, especially in larger quantities. These regulations vary depending on the type and capacity of the batteries, as well as the mode of transportation (e.g., air, sea, or ground).

To ensure compliance with shipping regulations and for safety reasons, it is generally recommended to package rechargeable batteries securely to prevent short circuits or damage during transit. This can be done by placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or using individual battery packaging. It is also advisable to package them with appropriate cushioning materials to prevent movement and potential damage.

If you are shipping a large number of rechargeable batteries or have specific concerns, it's best to consult the regulations of the relevant shipping authority or carrier to ensure compliance with their specific requirements.

But Bard says:

A: Yes, you should drain your rechargeable batteries before shipping them. This is because fully charged batteries can overheat and cause a fire or explosion. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) requires that all lithium batteries be shipped at a state of charge of no more than 30%. This is to reduce the risk of fire or explosion during shipping.

To drain your rechargeable batteries, you can use a battery charger that has a discharge function. You can also disconnect the batteries from the device they are powering and let them sit for a few days. Once the batteries have drained, you can safely ship them.

Here are some tips for safely shipping rechargeable batteries:

• Pack the batteries in a sturdy container that will prevent them from short-circuiting.
  • Label the container with the words "Lithium Batteries" and "Hazardous Goods."
  • Ship the batteries by ground transportation, not by air.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your rechargeable batteries are shipped safely and securely.

Here are some additional information about shipping rechargeable batteries:

• The United States Postal Service (USPS) does not allow the shipping of lithium batteries by air.
  • UPS and FedEx have specific requirements for shipping lithium batteries. You can find more information on their websites.
  • If you are shipping lithium batteries internationally, you will need to check with the shipping company and the destination country for specific regulations.

Reactions: Kilboar
Having batteries on very low % SOC is not the issue with shipping.

It's the chemical make up and potential damage / penetrations of the cells (low risk for our batteries), or shorting of terminals (can be mitigated easily), OR the big one for many of our drone batteries, the natural breakdown of the chemical components and possibility of increased fire risk.

Shipping with the package marked appropriately and by land (road / rail) is usually ok.
Best to check with one or two shipping companies, including USPS / UPS / FEDEX etc.

Thank you all.

Sounds like shipping by ground is the way to go. I haven’t charged them in a while so they seem to be like 3/4 charged.

Ship tons of batteries/year. just drop off drone, and case with batteries at FED Ex. they ship it ground, no issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne