DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone as camcorder?

shawnhar

Reactions
Sorry if this is common knowledge but I could not find it.
- Can I use a DJI drone as a gimbal stabilized camera without flying? Turn controller and drone on, click record, then pick up drone and move around with the benefit of the gimbal doing it's thing?

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Can I use a DJI drone as a gimbal stabilized camera without flying? Turn controller and drone on, click record, then pick up drone and move around with the benefit of the gimbal doing it's thing?
Yes, you can. But be aware that without the constant airflow created by the prop wash the drone will get hot pretty quickly even if you're not recording and it will shut down in maybe 5-10 minutes, depending on ambient temperature.

Another cool non-flying use for a drone is to take video of yourself, because you can set the drone up, walk into the scene, and check the framing of the shot on the controller.

Remember, though, that the drone doesn't record audio, so you'll need an audio recorder if you want to capture sound.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Been doing this since the phantom 3. Useful for walkthrough shots of building interiors, but you have to use the Steadicam 'ninja walk' otherwise you get the Z-axis wobble regardless of the gimbal. Seen it done with an Inspire 2 that was held in a low hover, grabbed and used hand-held before being released to fly off. The dolly-grip was wearing a full face helmet and butchers gloves.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2