DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone can hover but won't pitch or roll

mxfly

Reactions
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so apologies if this issue has been addressed elsewhere. I need help with my DJI Mini SE. I bought it second-hand in great condition, and it has been fantastic for about 10 flights. However, it recently started having issues.

The drone takes off without problems but won’t move—it doesn’t pitch or roll. It can hover and yaw, but when ascending or descending, it veers to the side, almost like it’s pitching while descending.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Are the props in good condition?
Did you calibrate everything correctly?
are all your setting correct ( Drone set to remote not WI-FI?)

Reactions: mxfly
Are the props in good condition?
Did you calibrate everything correctly?
are all your setting correct ( Drone set to remote not WI-FI?)
Hi Cafguy,

I’ve checked the propellers and even replaced them to be sure. I recalibrated the compass and IMU. I tried using both Litchi and DJI Fly apps, but the issue persists in both. I fully charged the aircraft, remote, and phone, and tested in different locations.

The weirdest part is that it can hover without any problem. I also started the propellers with the remote using both sticks outwards, so the remote is sending the correct signal to the aircraft.

Do you think it’s a hardware-related issue or more of a software problem?

Hi Cafguy,

I’ve checked the propellers and even replaced them to be sure. I recalibrated the compass and IMU. I tried using both Litchi and DJI Fly apps, but the issue persists in both. I fully charged the aircraft, remote, and phone, and tested in different locations.

The weirdest part is that it can hover without any problem. I also started the propellers with the remote using both sticks outwards, so the remote is sending the correct signal to the aircraft.

Do you think it’s a hardware-related issue or more of a software problem?
It *might* be down to a stick input error. Belt & braces: try a controller calibration (download user manual from DJI - instructions found in there). This will check for correct stick input.

Reactions: Cafguy and mxfly
As said in previous post... start with a stick calibration (enough to connect a mobile device to the RC, don't have to connect to the drone).

In the calibration screen you will see what's get applied when you move the sticks... if the roll or pitch command doesn't show in the screen when you move the sticks for roll/pitch, AND/OR if roll/pitch gets activated when you only move the throttle like for ascending/descending... you probably have a problem with the stick sensors.

The stick sensors on these RC's can get some kind of dirt coating that can cause problems like this... it's cleanable, but require a RC disassemble. My DJI Air 1 RC is of the same type & have cleaned it twice after getting "ghost" stick inputs together with a real throttle input. Cleaning have solved it every time.

I followed this YT video for the disassembly...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That’s a great idea—I had thought about testing the remote but didn’t know how. Thanks for the new information! I’ll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Hopefully, I’ll be back in the air soon.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so apologies if this issue has been addressed elsewhere.
You might care to go to
read the instructions lower down the page, upload the relevant .txt flight logs to that webpage and post the URLS
here.

Using windows the paths to the FLY app flight logs in the phone are
for early versions of the fly app.
Computer\Phone's-name\Phone\DJI\dji.go.v5\FlightRecord
or, for later versions of the FLY app
Computer\Phone's-name\Phone\Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord

For Litchi logs the path is
Computer\Phone's-name\Phone\DJI\com.aryuthere.visionplus\FlightRecord

I can never remember if phones carrying the later versions of fly also move the Litchi storage location to "Android" but if the above FightRecord folder is empty I follow a path that has an eqiivalent shift to that of the FLy app logs.

Hello everyone,

First, thank you all for the support. I honestly thought my drone was broken.

The solution had an unexpected twist. First, I tried recalibrating RC, but there was no input from the right stick. Then, I decided to try repairing the stick. When I opened the RC, the first I saw was a hanging disconnected connector.

I can’t imagine how that happened since I had never opened the controller before. It’s a bit strange, but we’re back in the air now.

I love the community of this forum. Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-08-04 at 12.53.02_2e38a053.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-08-04 at 12.53.02_2e38a053.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 22
Hello everyone,

First, thank you all for the support. I honestly thought my drone was broken.

The solution had an unexpected twist. First, I tried recalibrating RC, but there was no input from the right stick. Then, I decided to try repairing the stick. When I opened the RC, the first I saw was a hanging disconnected connector.

I can’t imagine how that happened since I had never opened the controller before. It’s a bit strange, but we’re back in the air now.

I love the community of this forum. Thanks!
That's got to be a first, the black cable has also been pinched.
I suspect someone has been in there before.
It's good that you got it sorted.
I hope you were more careful with the routing than the previous person.

I take that means you were using the launch button in the the fly app to start the motors and launch, is that correct ?

That's got to be a first, the black cable has also been pinched.
I suspect someone has been in there before.
It's good that you got it sorted.
I hope you were more careful with the routing than the previous person.

I take that means you were using the launch button in the the fly app to start the motors and launch, is that correct ?
No, not at all. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was using the sticks to start the propellers. It was one of the first things I considered to rule out a bad stick issue.

Interestingly, when I tried to calibrate the remote controller, the same issue occurred. Moving only the right stick resulted in no input, but if I pushed both sticks simultaneously, it registered input for both sticks, with the right stick mimicking the left one. I’m not sure why this happens, but it might be worth reporting to DJI.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was using the sticks to start the propellers
Oops, missed that.
But if the plug was disconnected, as shown in the photo, I don't see how the RH joystick could transmit a signal. Since you were able to use the CSC I am now wondering if it wasn't fully home and had a dodgy contact and if you displaced it whilst dismantling the controller.

Oops, missed that.
But if the plug was disconnected, as shown in the photo, I don't see how the RH joystick could transmit a signal. Since you were able to use the CSC I am now wondering if it wasn't fully home and had a dodgy contact and if you displaced it whilst dismantling the controller.
There are so many possibilities, we’ll probably never know for sure! 😂 But hey, at least it wasn’t broken!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenjd