DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

drone crashed today, destroyed need advice

I'm pretty knew to the drone still and learning all the time. Flying for a living I know altitude is everything in a bad situation. Seems so odd that someone would pull down on the throttle while pushing forward momentum, when not knowing exactly what is in front of the drone.

Almost like pulling back on the stick in an airplane when you are in a stall.

If the drone was out of reach of the controller.... and initiated a RTH... is it ever "possible" that the data would be not accurate from the controller? As in maybe the sticks were not in those positions? I just don't know enough about the drone system's yet... But, I'm learning!

Reactions: palo34
I'm pretty knew to the drone still and learning all the time. Flying for a living I know altitude is everything in a bad situation. Seems so odd that someone would pull down on the throttle while pushing forward momentum, when not knowing exactly what is in front of the drone.

Almost like pulling back on the stick in an airplane when you are in a stall.

If the drone was out of reach of the controller.... and initiated a RTH... is it ever "possible" that the data would be not accurate from the controller? As in maybe the sticks were not in those positions? I just don't know enough about the drone system's yet... But, I'm learning!

The data are clearly good in this case. And in cases where the downlink is lost then the app simply puts a gap in the recorded data. In terms of the sticks, the recorded data are what was received by the aircraft and transmitted back in the telemetry, not what was sent by the controller.

No - it never lost signal prior to crashing. It entered RTH mode at 560 seconds because you pressed the RC RTH button, but then you cancelled it 10 seconds later. You were flying it with the sticks when it crashed - down throttle and forward elevator:

View attachment 98093
I wanted to bring it home on my own, but the image was frozen.

Very enlightening.

Many things learned the hardway. here are three:

1. I should have let the sticks alone if I did not know where I was going.
2. I should have stay at a very high altitude if I have no visual or clear telemetry.
3. it is not a good at all to flight low over 500 Meters from where you are.

Thanks...

Hello... Could anyone tell me how to tilt msvic mini gimbal downwards.. specifically when I'm flying high altitude?
The mini's camera gimbal is controlled by the knurled wheel on the FC (Flight Controller). Top left of FC. The current camera angle shows on the display as a vertical display. Tapping and holding your finger on that area on the display also is a way to scroll the camera gimbal.
-Bill

The mini's camera gimbal is controlled by the knurled wheel on the FC (Flight Controller). Top left of FC. The current camera angle shows on the display as a vertical display. Tapping and holding your finger on that area on the display also is a way to scroll the camera gimbal.
-Bill
Thank you.. appreciate your response ?

Hello... Could anyone tell me how to tilt msvic mini gimbal downwards.. specifically when I'm flying high altitude?
Hi Mavicgeorge7

May I recommend that you take the time to download the complete Mavic Mini manual from the DJI website, and then try and read through it completely. Maybe twice.

From one drone flyer to another, I guarantee you it won't be a waste of your time.

Cheers and stay safe.

Hi Mavicgeorge7

May I recommend that you take the time to download the complete Mavic Mini manual from the DJI website, and then try and read through it completely. Maybe twice.

From one drone flyer to another, I guarantee you it won't be a waste of your time.

Cheers and stay safe.
Ok. thanks for the advice.. very much appreciated

Reactions: SouthButNotOut
Quick update... Sent the drone to DJI. They are delaying the process, asking for stuff I already has submitted, and I had to follow up couple of times. it is at the conducting damage assestment since April 15th...

OK - well that's a great illustration of how to misinterpret the flight data. It never occurred to me to check if you flew it into an obstacle, so I never bothered looking at the velocity data, nor worried about why the yaw response happened before the errors. Very careless.

So yes - that is what the data shows - simultaneous forward motion with descent, followed by an impact. The GPS and sensor errors were a result of that, not the cause, and the high vertical speed after impact was obviously due to the sensor error, and not real.

View attachment 98064

So unfortunately that was not a hardware problem, except in the sense that the hardware lost the battle with the tree, and won't be covered under warranty.
You ultimately figured it out which is what is important. We all appreciate your willingness to look at and expertly interpret all the flight data that people present on this forum. Many thanks.

Reactions: sar104
No luck... they are charging me almost $300.
I am evaluating my options...

I can buy another Mini about $260.
I can try a repair service and hope it is less than $260.
Buy an used Mavi Air, or Pro Platinum for a little more.
Buy a Xiomi Ximi SE 2020, with one extra battery for $350.
Considered the Zeno 2 but I heard I had problems with GPS but it is about the same price as the Mavi Air 2.
Mavic Air 2.. the kit flight more with insurance is over my budget. But it could be a good solutino, for future.

I an always sell the batteries, the control, and the charger and get about $200+.
Meaning that the Xiaomi would be less than $200.... Really hard desition...

Let me know your opinions please...
Let me know if you want to see the estimate for repairs...

To quote Barney Stinson: "New is always better". ;) Kidding. If you liked Mini, continue with it, new or repaired, doesn't matter. Xiaomi certainly isn't bad. Also, consider the original Mavic Air. it's much cheaper now that v2 is out.

To quote Barney Stinson: "New is always better". ;) Kidding. If you liked Mini, continue with it, new or repaired, doesn't matter. Xiaomi certainly isn't bad. Also, consider the original Mavic Air. it's much cheaper now that v2 is out.
thank you good points. I am leaning towards getting the mini for now with the insurance. The mavic air original cost about the same, the battery duration and the noise kills it.. I would go to the Mavic Pro platinum if used which is significantly cheaper than the mavic air 2.

Reactions: Dedal

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan