DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Emergency Brakes

I never had a complaint about the stopping distance.
Not sure if this is the best thing for a novice to do in an emergency.

It will for example only function when there is GPS reception. If it by any chance temporarily switches to Atti (just around that moment, because of a glitch in the app or interference, compass error etc), nothing will happen. It will just shoot on without losing much momentum, crashing into anything in its path. I can imagine the threads here like "I pressed the pause button but still it crashed at full speed".

It's always better to fly it actively yourself. And emergency braking is simply done by giving a little opposite pitch, not by just letting the sticks go. Or by pressing a button, trusting that it will just always stop on a dime.

For emergencies it is better to use methods that you know will always work. Piloting is supposed to become a second nature. Stopping is one of the things that any pilot should do himself by controlling the sticks intuitively without thinking. having to find and press the pause button on the remote takes a split second and that's usually just the time you have to avoid a disaster.

@Lake_Flyer agree with every word.
But knowing there is an option, doesn't mean you have to take that option.
For example, if one is doing a cinematic lateral movement with no sensors, then perhaps left hand can cover the pause button in case you visually spot something odd, and don't take that split second.
As I said, I just tested it and in fact it does stop the drone in a shorter distance, now it's up to everyone else if and how they'll use it (or not).

Reactions: Timbo~SYD
Another point: Just like with driving, simply braking is not *always* the best option to avoid a collision.

Another point: Just like with driving, simply braking is not *always* the best option to avoid a collision.

On driving... acceleration will often get you out of trouble quicker than braking ... the thing to weigh up is not to have a faster collision!

With a drone you are in a 3D space unlike are car ... only 2D!

Reactions: rydfree
@Lake_Flyer agree with every word.
But knowing there is an option, doesn't mean you have to take that option.
For example, if one is doing a cinematic lateral movement with no sensors, then perhaps left hand can cover the pause button in case you visually spot something odd, and don't take that split second.
As I said, I just tested it and in fact it does stop the drone in a shorter distance, now it's up to everyone else if and how they'll use it (or not).
Agreed, I was just trying to make clear to the novices here that they should not adopt it as the ultimate way to brake. But of course it can be a handy thing to be able to stop quickly with just one button.

Absolutely. Same goes for flying. Actively operating the sticks, and always being prepared to decide in a split second for the best action to take, should be the standard practice for every pilot. Only then one can call himself a pilot instead of a user.

Thanks, Epp, for the tip. I have been flying my MP for over a year without realizing that the cancel button will override the stick input and stop faster than applying opposite stick.

Thanks, Epp, for the tip. I have been flying my MP for over a year without realizing that the cancel button will override the stick input and stop faster than applying opposite stick.
He didn't test applying the opposite stick though :(. I wish he would have because that would be my reaction if I were about to run into something. I wouldn't simply let go of the sticks.

He didn't test applying the opposite stick though :(. I wish he would have because that would be my reaction if I were about to run into something. I wouldn't simply let go of the sticks.
Indeed I didn't test it. I might make another video about it.
But if I recall correctly (which I may not) from flying around, applying oposite stick is still slower than pause button (at least in P mode).
Not sure tho when comparing it to leting go of the sticks.

I have tested by applying the opposite stick. It stops much faster using the cancel button. Give it a try.

I use opposite stick to the motion, and maybe an upwards punch depending on situation/why I need to stop suddenly.

They're angle limited, so braking thrust can only reach a certain limit without also changing altitude.

Indeed I didn't test it. I might make another video about it.
But if I recall correctly (which I may not) from flying around, applying oposite stick is still slower than pause button (at least in P mode).
Not sure tho when comparing it to leting go of the sticks.
Pressing the pause button is definitely faster. I was playing around with it yesterday and it stops fast. It almost turns 90 degrees, not quite, but pretty close.

On driving... acceleration will often get you out of trouble quicker than braking ... the thing to weigh up is not to have a faster collision!

With a drone you are in a 3D space unlike are car ... only 2D!

At superbike school they drilled into our heads that " When in doubt , add gas . It will either solve the problem or end the suspense ." LOL

As a pilot or driver one should always be looking and thinking ahead as to what would I do if this happens . When flying the Mavic I have avoided two close calls by adding throttle and climbing over the problem fast .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada