DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Flying Restrictions in NYC

JC_Wang

Reactions
Dear all,

I hope this message finds you well. Recently, one of my friends told me flying a drone is entirely prohibited in New York City. I wanted to reach out to you to seek clarification and verify this information.

Could you kindly confirm if it is true that flying a drone is prohibited throughout the entirety of New York City? I am quite interested in drone piloting and want to ensure that I am fully aware of the regulations and restrictions that apply to drone flights in the area.

If there are specific areas within the city where drone flying is allowed, I would be grateful if you could let me know about those as well.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Josh

Reactions: Torque
I would first tell u that you should always download and use the B4UFLY app. secondly No that is not true. In a good portion of places yes they either have local restrictions or the FAA might, but not for the whole of the city. You may just want to google New York city Drone Laws I'm sure its like L.A. (unless the FAA says no and its not a tourist trap you are pretty much good to go) just don't fly to close to anyone and be courteous.

Reactions: JC_Wang

Facts:

Can you fly a drone in New York City?​

Drones are not allowed in NY City for recreational and commercial use, subject to FAA regulations and flight controls put in place by local governments. Read on for details.

Specific additional NYC Drone Laws​

New York City Drone Regulations

NYC Administrative code requires a drone operator to take off or land in specific places designated by the department of transportation or the port of New York authority. The code also makes it unlawful for a drone operator navigating drones to take off or land, except in an emergency, at any other place within the city’s limits. The rule serves to limit take-off and landings to regulated heliports and airports. The city later created a general restriction declaring all drone flights in New York City illegal.

Reactions: JC_Wang and Cafguy

Reactions: JC_Wang and Cafguy
Are you asking about what the law says or are you asking about what really happens in NYC? I can imagine your friend is advising you based on the latter. Just keep in mind NYC doesn't always go by the "laws."

Dear all,

I hope this message finds you well. Recently, one of my friends told me flying a drone is entirely prohibited in New York City. I wanted to reach out to you to seek clarification and verify this information.

Could you kindly confirm if it is true that flying a drone is prohibited throughout the entirety of New York City? I am quite interested in drone piloting and want to ensure that I am fully aware of the regulations and restrictions that apply to drone flights in the area.

If there are specific areas within the city where drone flying is allowed, I would be grateful if you could let me know about those as well.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Josh
Josh,

There are 4 or 5 designated parks in NYC that you can fly at. Here is an article that will help you with the Rules and laws in NYC. Good Luck and Safe Flying.

• Wow
Reactions: mavic3usa
On July 7th the NYPD held a hearing regarding changes in the regulations towards the goal of providing "permitted" drone flights within NYC. The hearing was a chance for stake holders in the NYC drone community to voice their views in person and on line regarding suggested "rules" the NYPD published. The NYPD offered stipulations that were all over the map, many of which are untenable. Little was said regarding recreational pilots thought one spokesperson for AMA pointed out the thousands of AMA drone pilots have an enviable safety record. Full stop. The NYPD held the hearing at One Police Plaza, hosted only by members of the NYPD Legal department. The hearing provided no back and forth discussion or transparency as to the thinking and research that accompanied the NYPD program. Therefore, the hearing was seen by most as a "trial balloon," Multiple iterations of the rules and on-going deliberations are guaranteed. Some attendees questioned whether the NYPD should be the permitting agency at all? Some gave legal evidence the NYPD may not have authority to take on that responsibility or that it could be rescinded. NYC with the most complicated regulated airspace on the East Coast, integrating drone flight is complex at best with many players both in the commercial and general aviation sector, a variety of diffferent agendas in the drone ecosystem and use of drones by the Port Authority, Buildings Dept, First Responders, etc etc.. Moreover, NYC is understandably drone averse as potential terrorism is always part of the "what if" thinking of law enforcement. The not so futere drone ID system will identify most drone flight and should give a layer of monitoring yet to be in place. Yet no agency or budgets have yet to be revealed to have an active monitoring capability. Bad actors and those bent on harm will not be stopped by any permitting rules or ID transmission. It is understandable to monitor drone flight. Many drones today recognize nearby aviation, drones included. The NYPD offered potential permit fees, yet no clarity whether a fee would be leveled for each flight permit or general long term "license" and/or a one time fee for known pilots, recreational or commercial.. Many other issues were voiced: one suggestion was "known and vetted" NYC drone operators should not be saddled with constant permitting processes. Some of the most untenable rules were time frames for permit application and subsequent granting of a permit. The offered rules did not seem to understand the need to change drone flight ops due to a variety of factors in professional as well as recreational flight. Some federal, city and state agencies currently have "permitting" rules or allow drone flight within strict parameters. The elaborate FAA and admirable LAANC PROGRAM" was mentioned briefly, yet it is already a comprehensive program that needs further review to integrate in a "permitted" or allowed flight ecosystem. One of the NYPD Attorneys said to me privately, at the closing, "There are a lot of moving parts." Indeed.

Stay tuned.

Reactions: Torque and JC_Wang
I would first tell u that you should always download and use the B4UFLY app. secondly No that is not true. In a good portion of places yes they either have local restrictions or the FAA might, but not for the whole of the city. You may just want to google New York city Drone Laws I'm sure its like L.A. (unless the FAA says no and its not a tourist trap you are pretty much good to go) just don't fly to close to anyone and be courteous.
The b4ufly map shows that it's ok to fly but can nyc tell you that you can't take off?Screenshot_2023-07-21-18-49-00-516.jpg

Still draconian and impossible to do unless you are a professional production working on a movie or you already work for a city department. You must apply individually per flight up to 5 at once and it costs $150 fee each time. That means at best you are paying $30 to take off and land each time.
Yep. Those individuals will probably negotiate filming and droning rights concurrently with the State of NY or NYC city. No way am I a big movie producer and I'm going to a website to ask for a permit and permission to fly a drone on set and pay with a credit card. The police process is for plebes and someone you can send a denial letter to.

Yep. Those individuals will probably negotiate filming and droning rights concurrently with the State of NY or NYC city. No way am I a big movie producer and I'm going to a website to ask for a permit and permission to fly a drone on set and pay with a credit card. The police process is for plebes and someone you can send a denial letter to.
What are the consequences if the drone pilot flies the drone without permission and gets caught by the NYPD?

What are the consequences if the drone pilot flies the drone without permission and gets caught by the NYPD?
This is never going to be disclosed or put in writing on a schedule and therefore it will allow the NYPD to provide whatever punishment they feel is appropriate depending on who they encounter, where they find them, and how the situation turns out. They call it "discretion."

If you are flying in a small park with a small drone and the police just happen to come upon you and find out you are from out of town (two towns over) and you're 90 years old, you may be asked to pack up for the rest of the day and go home. If you are 19 and you are flying an FPV and the cop heard it from 3 blocks away because you were flying between the buildings and over the streets, you'll probably get anything from losing your drone to a ticket for not having a permit depending on your attitude. If you are exercising your right to record the police during their official duties and you are wearing an activist t-shirt and you are hovering over the police station, you'll probably get arrested.

This is never going to be disclosed or put in writing on a schedule and therefore it will allow the NYPD to provide whatever punishment they feel is appropriate depending on who they encounter, where they find them, and how the situation turns out. They call it "discretion."

If you are flying in a small park with a small drone and the police just happen to come upon you and find out you are from out of town (two towns over) and you're 90 years old, you may be asked to pack up for the rest of the day and go home. If you are 19 and you are flying an FPV and the cop heard it from 3 blocks away because you were flying between the buildings and over the streets, you'll probably get anything from losing your drone to a ticket for not having a permit depending on your attitude. If you are exercising your right to record the police during their official duties and you are wearing an activist t-shirt and you are hovering over the police station, you'll probably get arrested.
How much can the ticket be up to in NYC?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc