DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone in for DJI Repair... unnecessary costs?

holden

Reactions
Hey everyone, just found this forum so hopefully this is in the right place. Anyway, my Air 2 is currently in for repair with DJI. The gimbal housing cracked up the sides, so I was hoping that would be the only thing needing to be fixed. There were no other errors in the app when trying to fly, other than the "gimbal stuck" error.

However, when I got my quote from DJI, I was disappointed to see that they said I needed an entirely new Aircraft Core Board Module - to the tune of $199. Does this seem right? Are they known for tacking on unnecessary items like some other OEM repair services? If it sounds right I'll pay it, but I'm a little irritated that what would have been a $170 fix became a $369 fix.

Hey everyone, just found this forum so hopefully this is in the right place. Anyway, my Air 2 is currently in for repair with DJI. The gimbal housing cracked up the sides, so I was hoping that would be the only thing needing to be fixed. There were no other errors in the app when trying to fly, other than the "gimbal stuck" error.

However, when I got my quote from DJI, I was disappointed to see that they said I needed an entirely new Aircraft Core Board Module - to the tune of $199. Does this seem right? Are they known for tacking on unnecessary items like some other OEM repair services? If it sounds right I'll pay it, but I'm a little irritated that what would have been a $170 fix became a $369 fix.
I can't really answer because I'm confused as to what's wrong. What is the gimbal housing and how did it crack up the sides and the sides of what? The gimbal? The drone?

The gimbal is expensive. Not sure about the core board. But this is an advertisement for care/refresh or private insurance (State Farm). I'd be interested to know if they'll just send you a refurbished drone or they'll actually repair your drone and send it back?

The problem is there may be damage you are unaware of.
It took me 3 shell openings with testing in bewtween to find and fix all the damage done when I crashed my Mavic 2 Zoom and each time I did look closely.
Do you know, for a fact, that the gimbal stuck message stems from only the damage to the gimbal, if so how?
And how do you know that the crash didn't damage the core board.
My Mavic 2Z crash cracked a mounting lug on the IMU board. A professional repairer whose insurance and reputation is based on their work is likely to have been required to replace the board. Me, some araldite and a shaved down matchstick as a permantent glued in place splint did the job.

I can't really answer because I'm confused as to what's wrong. What is the gimbal housing and how did it crack up the sides and the sides of what? The gimbal? The drone?
Gimbal housing as in the control arms that attach to the center column of the gimbal hooked to the camera.
The gimbal is expensive. Not sure about the core board. But this is an advertisement for care/refresh or private insurance (State Farm). I'd be interested to know if they'll just send you a refurbished drone or they'll actually repair your drone and send it back?
The gimbal is actually one of the cheapest parts to replace, after individual arms - provided the camera isn't damaged, which mine was not. But yeah if they send a unit with a fresh SKU, I'll probably try to enroll it in Care Refresh.
The problem is there may be damage you are unaware of.
It took me 3 shell openings with testing in bewtween to find and fix all the damage done when I crashed my Mavic 2 Zoom and each time I did look closely.
Do you know, for a fact, that the gimbal stuck message stems from only the damage to the gimbal, if so how?
And how do you know that the crash didn't damage the core board.
My Mavic 2Z crash cracked a mounting lug on the IMU board. A professional repairer whose insurance and reputation is based on their work is likely to have been required to replace the board. Me, some araldite and a shaved down matchstick as a permantent glued in place splint did the job.
Just doesn't seem like the gimbal stuck message would relate to anything other than the gimbal, especially when I can see that the gimbal is indeed stuck. Seems like if the core board was damaged, it would throw a separate error or not be able to fly. There could always be hidden damage for sure, but I was more curious if adding on extra repair services is something they commonly do for non-Care Refresh subscribers.

if you think they are trying to 'fleece you' then decline the repair, have it sent back unrepaired and send it to someone else and see what the second opinion is.

Reactions: BigAl07
i've sent in drones for repairs 3 different times. I dont feel that they every charged more or made unnecessary repairs. Ive actually been quite happy with their service. And each time i received a refurbished drone - a different serial number than the one i sent in.

I believe to speed up repairs they just replace with previously refurbished and tested drones rather and do individual repairs.

Reactions: BigAl07
if you think they are trying to 'fleece you' then decline the repair, have it sent back unrepaired and send it to someone else and see what the second opinion is.

^^^^^^^ That's the best advice!!

I had once broke a gimbal. I also got the gimbal stuck error. I sent it in for a repair to a company (NOT DJI), they too said the core board needed replacement. I refused and had them send the drone back to me. I then bought a complete camera gimbal and gimbal board. I replaced it with my malfunctioning camera and gimbal and all worked fine. This company tried to rip me off saying there was more damage than there really was. I don't believe DJI would do this, but many of those other repair shops will scam customers by telling them other problems exists that do not exist. Lesson? I will only send my drones to DJI directly for repair. But I have never had to do that, because I always buy Care Refresh.

One other point, you say the gimbal is actually a cheap part to replace. That may or may not be so but you might like to investigate whether or not replacing the gimbal will necessitate a re-pairing (i.e. the new gimbal may HAVE to be paired to other bits in the drone) and or recalibration of components in the re-assembled drone and which is above and beyond the simple gimbal recalibration of the gimbal offered in the App.

One other point, you say the gimbal is actually a cheap part to replace. That may or may not be so but you might like to investigate whether or not replacing the gimbal will necessitate a re-pairing (i.e. the new gimbal may HAVE to be paired to other bits in the drone) and or recalibration of components in the re-assembled drone and which is above and beyond the simple gimbal recalibration of the gimbal offered in the App.
Yeah, there's a github program to flash the new gimbal if I were to do it myself. I think I saw it floating around the forum here actually. Just ended up deciding I'm just going to have DJI do it though.
I had once broke a gimbal. I also got the gimbal stuck error. I sent it in for a repair to a company (NOT DJI), they too said the core board needed replacement. I refused and had them send the drone back to me. I then bought a complete camera gimbal and gimbal board. I replaced it with my malfunctioning camera and gimbal and all worked fine. This company tried to rip me off saying there was more damage than there really was. I don't believe DJI would do this, but many of those other repair shops will scam customers by telling them other problems exists that do not exist. Lesson? I will only send my drones to DJI directly for repair. But I have never had to do that, because I always buy Care Refresh.
i've sent in drones for repairs 3 different times. I dont feel that they every charged more or made unnecessary repairs. Ive actually been quite happy with their service. And each time i received a refurbished drone - a different serial number than the one i sent in.

I believe to speed up repairs they just replace with previously refurbished and tested drones rather and do individual repairs.
Awesome, this was exactly what I was looking for. Got rid of my doubts about the in-house repair. Thanks @Don Testme @mikegrad!

If I had more time, that's exactly what I'd do. I just have a window here where I can't really wait for shipping back and bank on it being a simple repair and not needing to ship it back again. The other answers reassured me, I'm just going to pay DJI and call it a day. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure there is a diagnosis charge regardless...could be wrong of course. I've found the DJI charges to be completely fair and you'll receive a drone that's as good as new. Thats worth something

Yeah, there's a github program to flash the new gimbal if I were to do it myself. I think I saw it floating around the forum here actually. Just ended up deciding I'm just going to have DJI do it though.

Awesome, this was exactly what I was looking for. Got rid of my doubts about the in-house repair. Thanks @Don Testme @mikegrad!
just providing my experience, i hope you have the same. but like they say "past performance is no guarantee of future returns." :)

$65 diagnostic fee is you don't get the repair, which also covers shipping there and back.

On my Mavic Pro, the video started producing weird flashing, chopped-up views - pink/purple overlay, etc. and finally just went black. I took it to my local DJI / Drones Made Easy store and they said $45 diagnostics then the cost of repair. I agreed and they sent it off to DJI. They came back with an estimate of $508 to replace the main board and I authorized it. A few days later I went to pick it up at the store and they handed me a fresh new drone. That works for me but it seemed a bit pricey. Now I have a new one to register and label and an old one to un-register.

They don't charge you at all for sending it in for an estimate?

Or do you have to pay shipping both ways?

I just crashed mine trying to orbit around a big rock on a hill. I couldn’t see trees behind the rock from my vantage point. I hit a tree and it took a long fall and it broke an arm off and scratched a few items. DJI repaired and tested it and didn’t charge for any excess parts etc and it only took about 10 day from crash to have it back. I immediately signed up for refresh on return as I was incredibly worried I wasn’t going to be able to climb up the rock and find my drone or future crashes could be much more expensive.

They don't charge you at all for sending it in for an estimate?

Or do you have to pay shipping both ways?
OK, I sent mine in. Took a long time because they're using UPS Ground but I didn't pay for it.

They sent the estimate, itemized the parts and the labor. No item for return shipping.

Much less than the estimate I got from a local repair shop.

I just crashed mine trying to orbit around a big rock on a hill. I couldn’t see trees behind the rock from my vantage point. I hit a tree and it took a long fall and it broke an arm off and scratched a few items. DJI repaired and tested it and didn’t charge for any excess parts etc and it only took about 10 day from crash to have it back. I immediately signed up for refresh on return as I was incredibly worried I wasn’t going to be able to climb up the rock and find my drone or future crashes could be much more expensive.
Which model was it?

DIdn't detect the trees, the crash avoidance system?

How much is Refresh? Are you out of warranty?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_