DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Insurance & Refresh?

State Farm will not write the pap on a drone registered as commercial with the FAA, so even if you are flying recreationally, they won’t insure it if it’s in your list of 107 drones.

I just spoke with my State Farm Insurance agent. I am a recreational flyer and I don't have part 107. The only issue with having the State Farm as your insurer if you make a claim (Personal Article Policy) and you switch insurance companies. They may give you a higher rate, otherwise it will not have an effect on your Homeowners policy if you remain with State Farm/

It seems silly to pay for DJI Refresh and have a State Farm policy. There is some redundancy and overlap.

Recommendations on a 3rd party insurer?

I just spoke with my State Farm Insurance agent. I am a recreational flyer and I don't have part 107. The only issue with having the State Farm as your insurer if you make a claim (Personal Article Policy) and you switch insurance companies. They may give you a higher rate, otherwise it will not have an effect on your Homeowners policy if you remain with State Farm/
That's one way to make sure you stay with State Farm

My State Farm agent will not do a PAP policy unless it is wrapped into a homeowner's policy.
Which makes sense over here since a 100QsFt 2br 1ba goes for 350K around here.
They just want to make a buck.
And most likely a good thing too since post #10 is true.
Had a friend that covered his cameras.
Was a victim of a smash and grab and popped the trunk.
filed a $5K claim on the equipment
3 years later got everything ready to buy a house and no one would insure him because of that claim.

Yes, much larger than a drone claim but if you have frequent claims...
Buy the PAP from a different State Farm agent. Nothing limits you to a single agent for different coverages. Only use the PAP policy if you cannot recover the drone for Refresh insurance.

Is also have SF pap, in NY, and my agent stated they would cover my drone and accessories 100%. Policy only cost me $60 annually. He also stated it doesn’t affect my homeowners policy. It’s a separate policy.

Is also have SF pap, in NY, and my agent stated they would cover my drone and accessories 100%. Policy only cost me $60 annually. He also stated it doesn’t affect my homeowners policy. It’s a separate policy.
It will only effect your Homeowners Policy if you switch companies after you have a claim.

This will not affect my homeowners insurance.
It certainly could, even if you have no other policies with State Farm. See post #10 above.
====
"When you file a claim, it’s noted on an industry ledger of sorts called your C.L.U.E. report.
The Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (C.L.U.E.) is a shared database insurance companies record claims on after you make them.
If you have too many claims on your C.L.U.E. report, other insurers will often treat that as a red light and may refuse to write you another policy for up to three years."

Having just filed a claim with DJI AND someone who is in a State Farm service area...I would suggest both. If you have a $1000 drone or more, and the likelihood is, if you begin to push the limits to get that really cool shot, at some point, you may need to replace it after a crash. DJI will replace if you have one to (or pieces, like mine), to send back...if you do not, DJI will not replace which is where State Farm comes in. Having double coverage should allow you to fly a little more on the edge. Now, I’m not saying flying careless, but I am saying, if you want really cool video, many times you’ll need to turn off the sensors. If you plan on just taking video 200’ up, likely you don’t need the insurance at all.

Having just filed a claim with DJI AND someone who is in a State Farm service area...I would suggest both. If you have a $1000 drone or more, and the likelihood is, if you begin to push the limits to get that really cool shot, at some point, you may need to replace it after a crash. DJI will replace if you have one to (or pieces, like mine), to send back...if you do not, DJI will not replace which is where State Farm comes in. Having double coverage should allow you to fly a little more on the edge. Now, I’m not saying flying careless, but I am saying, if you want really cool video, many times you’ll need to turn off the sensors. If you plan on just taking video 200’ up, likely you don’t need the insurance at all.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Refresh for when you recover it, and State Farm for when you can't! Then fly the heck out of it! Bird strikes and other drones to collide with are still found at 200’. Stuff happens! The more you fly, the more likely you are to encounter freak accidents that may lead to Black Hawk down!

A "Personal Articles Policy" that includes drones.
We’re all familiar with the idea of a credit report, but did you know there’s a credit-like report specific to the insurance field about claims you’ve filed?
Knowledge is power, as the old saying goes, and the more access you have to what insurers know about you, the better you are!
Table of contents

We’re all familiar with the idea of a credit report, but did you know there’s a credit-like report specific to the insurance field about claims you’ve filed?
Knowledge is power, as the old saying goes, and the more access you have to what insurers know about you, the better you are!
Table of contents
Yup! They track everything, so any drone claim against a State Farm PAP could come back to bite you, even if you have no other insurance with them! Best only to use it as a backup to Refresh, if you can't recover the drone for DJI Refresh.

The problem with DJI Cares is that 1. you must send them your damaged drone. It does not cover a lost drone. 2. If you file a claim the drone they send you is a rebuile one. I filed a claim for a damaged I2 and received one with a damaged landing gear.

The problem with DJI Cares is that 1. you must send them your damaged drone. It does not cover a lost drone. 2. If you file a claim the drone they send you is a rebuile one. I filed a claim for a damaged I2 and received one with a damaged landing gear.
Lately, the Refresh drone replacements are brand new, just without a retail box and other accessories. They also have always come with at least a 30 day warranty, such that yours surely was replaced with another, without any damage, once that damage to the landing gear was brought to their attention.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52