DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone nearly hits police officer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the other MC officer turning his head to look at the drone there ?
Looks like he could be from the helmet visor position.
Sorry had left but on iMac now and yes from this one I just took it looks like the other officer is looking at it.
Now I am seeing this on a big screen.
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 9.46.14 PM.png
Your depth perception is lacking. Draw a line straight down from the drone and it's clearly over the sidewalk. You have grass, a sidewalk and then the road. As you go further in the video you can see the cracks in the concrete driveway entrances and the at the very end of the video a person walking on the sidewalk.
Sorry but I am lacking nothing other than patience;)
To be honest it might just be in a hover but the way I see it it if not in the road right at it.
Really nothing to discuss about it though as it is there and enough so to make the officer swerve .
Maybe he did just because it surprised him I don't know

Reactions: BigAl07
Lol, let's all agree the public / officialdom perception of the 'incident' is bad for drone pilots and be done with it.
Or we have a poll !!! ?
We passed :D

Sorry had left but on iMac now and yes from this one I just took it looks like the other officer is looking at it.
Now I am seeing this on a big screen.
View attachment 93292

A good clear shot, and easy to see the depth perspective of the drone in relation to the road / footpath etc.
The other officer if facing the drone clearly shows this is level with the back panniers of his bike or so, and about 45 degrees to the right front of the closer bike.
I'm sure if the officer hadn't swerved left that little bit, he could have clipped that, or could have stuck his hand out and caught it (with some typical drone prop finger surgery).
It is without doubt, over the blacktop, probably by a good 1 or 2 feet.
If that is over the footpath, it is about small car size.

Hey, I know some of these perception things can be tricky, kinda like the one of the swing, are they facing towards or away from the camera ?

(Clearly facing towards the building. LOL)

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
First of all let me agree that actions like this are unacceptable.
Yet 3000 people per DAY die in car accidents.
I don’t hear anybody clamoring for stricter road rules. Probably because it’s old news and it will not make people actually drive better.
Drones are just a new way for people to do moronic things .
And far less dangerous than cars.

First of all let me agree that actions like this are unacceptable.
Yet 3000 people per DAY die in car accidents.
I don’t hear anybody clamoring for stricter road rules. Probably because it’s old news and it will not make people actually drive better.
Drones are just a new way for people to do moronic things .
And far less dangerous than cars.

That's really a false equivalence. Far more people die in car accidents than in aviation accidents. Does that mean that aviation law is unnecessary? It doesn't, of course - what it means is that road safety has reached a level of regulation and risk acceptance that we deem reasonable. Drone use is still in its infancy, but increasing fast, and that balance has not yet been found.

The stupidity of some people is astounding.

Nearly missed? lol

Flying a UAS like that is dumb, especially next to motorcycles and even dumber next to police. Find the operator and cite them a fine/charge. If it was a kid, cite the parents. That's what sucks about UAS', the media ropes them all in 1 category. Big difference between $100 toy UAS operated by juveniles vice hobbyist with $1000+ UAS. Case and point, I watched a kid a few days after Christmas launching his toy UAS in a crowded park with 20mph winds, results are what you would expect, instant crash.

Lol, let's all agree the public / officialdom perception of the 'incident' is bad for drone pilots and be done with it.
Or we have a poll !!! ?
Agreed! In Canada I have to be a minimum of 30 meters away from people.

You can not fix stupid by having politicians implementing new laws that further restrict the law abiding citizens' rights and never fix the root cause of the problem.

When I looked at it the first time, I said to myself "Holy Sh#@ !", but if you look at it multiple times, I am not sure if there is any "there" there... The drone (not a toy), looks like a mavic pro or 2, is obviously 6-8 ft off the ground with props running. Other than that, I don't really detect movement. It could be simply hovering. If this drone is not in controlled airspace (or in it with approval) and he/she is on her property, hovering to take off, what is the real issue? People usually jump to a conclusion prior to getting facts. If he/she did something wrong, obviously there should be serious consequences for that person.

Flying a UAS like that is dumb, especially next to motorcycles and even dumber next to police. Find the operator and cite them a fine/charge. If it was a kid, cite the parents. That's what sucks about UAS', the media ropes them all in 1 category. Big difference between $100 toy UAS operated by juveniles vice hobbyist with $1000+ UAS. Case and point, I watched a kid a few days after Christmas launching his toy UAS in a crowded park with 20mph winds, results are what you would expect, instant crash.
Are you sure it's not simply hovering to possibly go straight up? I see no flying, I see a cop passing a drone that I can't tell if it's moving. Trust me I respect the police, my son is a police officer. This could be something bad or nothing that LOOKS BAD

Reactions: Paulf10
When I looked at it the first time, I said to myself "Holy Sh#@ !", but if you look at it multiple times, I am not sure if there is any "there" there... The drone (not a toy), looks like a mavic pro or 2, is obviously 6-8 ft off the ground with props running. Other than that, I don't really detect movement. It could be simply hovering. If this drone is not in controlled airspace (or in it with approval) and he/she is on her property, hovering to take off, what is the real issue? People usually jump to a conclusion prior to getting facts. If he/she did something wrong, obviously there should be serious consequences for that person.

Even if it is just hovering after takeoff, it should not be operated that close to traffic.

Reactions: Rudiger
I think OA goes a long ways towards discouraging people from claiming they are likely to be hit by a drone and it should be on the Mini. Lets face it...people running around saying "the sky is falling" has been around a long time. It's very easy to get people excited about anything/nothing

I dont see why they simply just dont make a law that prohibits all remote control aircraft from flying in any city limits. If caught you go to jail plain and simple

Because this is not Russia or Afghanistan....

I think OA goes a long ways towards discouraging people from claiming they are likely to be hit by a drone and it should be on the Mini.......

Because then it wouldn't be the sub-250gr aircraft that it is and the cost point would be higher. More weight bigger motors, ESC, batteries etc. They are already packing a LOT into a tiny package for dirt cheap.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
A good clear shot, and easy to see the depth perspective of the drone in relation to the road / footpath etc.
The other officer if facing the drone clearly shows this is level with the back panniers of his bike or so, and about 45 degrees to the right front of the closer bike.
I'm sure if the officer hadn't swerved left that little bit, he could have clipped that, or could have stuck his hand out and caught it (with some typical drone prop finger surgery).

Hey, I know some of these perception things can be tricky, kinda like the one of the swing, are they facing towards or away from the camera ?

Does anyone know anything about this video? Did they switch the camera around because it really looks like he is facing the building?

There is no way he could be facing the camera because his legs are pumping back and fourth toward the building.

After looking at thier twitter page it doesn't seem that the police took it as seriously as we did.

"Although, flying drones can be fun and exciting, they can also be hazardous to the community."

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
road safety has reached a level of regulation and risk acceptance that we deem reasonable.

Yes, it quite frightening we accept that we've hit a level of deaths on the roads that seems reasonable for the amount of use.
Not if you're a casualty, disabled, or a relative / friend of a deceased I guess.

Human factor, no matter what authorities here do, there will always be bad decisions made, or lower levels of driving skills from some in the community.

Same with drones and everything in life.

As a matter of interest, our road toll here was up around 5000/year (just over 30 deaths per 100k people) at it's peak, when seat belts in cars became mandatory, this was the era of phase 3 GTHO Fords, and Bathurst 350 chev Monaros, lots of now classic V8s on the road . . .

Since then, RBT (random breath testing), radar speed detection, speed cameras, red light cameras, and what I consider the big one, motor vehcile safety features like tyre safety, ABS, stability control, vehicle crumple zones, driver alert mechanisms, huge advances . . . our road toll has decreased to a point it seems like it just can't be lowered any more.

2019 - 1182 deaths
2018 - 1137
2017 - 1225
2016 - 1293
2015 - 1205

This is about 5 deaths per 100k population, and falling each year, so that's a good thing.
But still a lot of affected families / people out there when you think maybe minimum 10 people would feel each death in a very big way.

Nearly missed? lol

Glass half full :)
A hit then ?
'Clearly missed' is correct, and just imagine the (nationwide) story if he'd hit it.

That's a pretty cool optical illusion. He is facing the camera though - that's the only way that his (left) arm is visible in front of his leg:

1581110676570.jpeg

That's a pretty cool optical illusion. He is facing the camera though - that's the only way that his (left) arm is visible in front of his leg:

View attachment 93342

Ha ha, I had a feeling I shouldn't have posted that :p

Funny, when I first saw this on a news site (yes, sadly this is considered news these days) I too thought the person was facing the camera.
Then something clicked and I can't see it that way now.
Weird.

Clearly a weather balloon !! :rolleyes: ?

Seriously, that was close !

I saw it as almost playing chicken with the one bike, coming right down towards them from the opposite direction.
The MC officer actually DOES seem to move left to avoid it, or at least distance themselves from it, he obviously saw it.

Very poor form, and whether it was a kid just flying stupidly, or an adult being a fool, the whole drone community gets a black mark. Again.

Seriously, it passes right next to the MC cop.
He moves left at 2 to 3 seconds, the drone passes at opposite direction right next to him (or her).
Look closely, it was either hovering or moving very slowly along the side walk. Look at the right motorcycle, you can even see the road next to him, just the sidewalk, that shows how close his bike was to the sidewalk. Therefore if someone was stood right next to the road, they too would have passed by the motorcycle just about as close as the drone. The movement of the drone is actually the motorcycle moving passed it.

The camera angle and wide angle lens makes it look like it is moving left to right across the road, but it is not actually doing that. The drone was not over the road at all, however, it really was too close to traffic in case there was a fly away or something. We know nothing about the flyer, so it could have been an experienced bad irresponsible flyer or it could have been some kid who just got it and this was his first flight. I looked for a person but did not see anyone as the cops were moving, so who knows where the flyer was. He might have been across the street from the drone it self or anywhere. It was not the best place to do a flight what ever the case.

Reactions: tmtwomey
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54