DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone nearly hits police officer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago when I lived in the city I wanted a RC airplane or helicopter. I never bought one because I knew you cant really fly around the city because of the population/people and stuff.

After moving to the country I bought a drone because we have plenty of space to fly. I dont see why they simply just dont make a law that prohibits all remote control aircraft from flying in any city limits. If caught you go to jail plain and simple.

If the area you are in doesn't look like this, then you dont fly.

View attachment 93262

Well that will annoy all the hobbyists (presumably you are not suggesting banning all sUAS operations in cities) who live in cities. And are you suggesting unregulated drone flights made legal everywhere else? Perhaps we need to ban all airports and aircraft operations outside city limits to be consistent.

Reactions: Paulf10
Years ago when I lived in the city I wanted a RC airplane or helicopter. I never bought one because I knew you cant really fly around the city because of the population/people and stuff.

After moving to the country I bought a drone because we have plenty of space to fly. I dont see why they simply just dont make a law that prohibits all remote control aircraft from flying in any city limits. If caught you go to jail plain and simple.

If the area you are in doesn't look like this, then you dont fly.

View attachment 93262

I understand the need for laws and punishment for those who break the law. The problem is while the vast majority of people will try to obey those laws you're still going to have the habitual law breakers. There are laws against murder, rape, bank robbery, etc., etc. and very stiff penalties for those that break these laws but every day there are those that violate them. Do we address that fact with more laws that people will break?

We want to prevent murder so make it a crime to come within 21' of a person while you're carrying any kind of weapon and prosecute violators for attempted murder. If you look at a woman's cleavage for more than 3 seconds you're charged with rape. I know these are extreme examples that are ridiculous but they are based on the same mindset that says because some people violate the 400' rule or fly inside the 5 mile limit of controlled airspace (while the vast majority obey those regulations) we should now place the burden of the various aspects of the RID NPRM on everyone that flies a UAS as if that's going to prevent the habitual violators from continuing to violate the law.

We have strict laws regarding what is required to operate a motor vehicle on state roads. Go to You Tube and see how many videos you can find of individuals riding unregistered, uninsured and uninspected motorcycles and quads on those roads. In many cases the police can't catch them because it's very easy to evade a police car while you're riding a motorcycle or quad. We already have remote ID on every motor vehicle (license plate). This doesn't prevent the law breakers from blatantly riding their motorcycles and quads. Should ever vehicle now be equipped with a kill switch so LE can disable a car in a chase? Do you think there isn't a high school kid somewhere that couldn't disable the disabling device?

O.k., grandpa is done with his rant.

I understand the need for laws and punishment for those who break the law. The problem is while the vast majority of people will try to obey those laws you're still going to have the habitual law breakers. There are laws against murder, rape, bank robbery, etc., etc. and very stiff penalties for those that break these laws but every day there are those that violate them. Do we address that fact with more laws that people will break?

We want to prevent murder so make it a crime to come within 21' of a person while you're carrying any kind of weapon and prosecute violators for attempted murder. If you look at a woman's cleavage for more than 3 seconds you're charged with rape. I know these are extreme examples that are ridiculous but they are based on the same mindset that says because some people violate the 400' rule or fly inside the 5 mile limit of controlled airspace (while the vast majority obey those regulations) we should now place the burden of the various aspects of the RID NPRM on everyone that flies a UAS as if that's going to prevent the habitual violators from continuing to violate the law.

We have strict laws regarding what is required to operate a motor vehicle on state roads. Go to You Tube and see how many videos you can find of individuals riding unregistered, uninsured and uninspected motorcycles and quads on those roads. In many cases the police can't catch them because it's very easy to evade a police car while you're riding a motorcycle or quad. We already have remote ID on every motor vehicle (license plate). This doesn't prevent the law breakers from blatantly riding their motorcycles and quads. Should ever vehicle now be equipped with a kill switch so LE can disable a car in a chase? Do you think there isn't a high school kid somewhere that couldn't disable the disabling device?

O.k., grandpa is done with his rant.
Thats pretty much my point.

I don't think we need any new laws (in reference to this exact thread) but I do think what we see in this video is potentially very dangerous and this operator should be sought out and fined/penalized in some way. And part of that penalization would be PUBLICITY so that others might, just might think twice about such actions in the future.

I'd like to hear from each person who has commented on this thread:

1. Do you see what happened in this video as dangerous?
    • If no, how close do you think is too close between person on a bike and UAS?
    • If yes what do you feel like the "penalty" should be?

If we are accurate in our assessment that the drone was hovering or slowly moving in the area of the sidewalk and the motorcycles are in the street I don't think it's any more danger than a person stopped or riding their bicycle slowly down the sidewalk.

I don't think we need any new laws (in reference to this exact thread) but I do think what we see in this video is potentially very dangerous and this operator should be sought out and fined/penalized in some way. And part of that penalization would be PUBLICITY so that others might, just might think twice about such actions in the future.

I'd like to hear from each person who has commented on this thread:

1. Do you see what happened in this video as dangerous?
    • If no, how close do you think is too close between person on a bike and UAS?
    • If yes what do you feel like the "penalty" should be?
It is kind of depressing that we never get updates about punishments these violators receive. What ever happened to that Joseph guy who posted the vid on facebook of the passenger jet landing at the airport, or the guy that hit the military helicopter with his P4 while on a mapping mission? They always say there's an investigation, but there never seems to be an outcome.

As far as this one goes, yes flying a drone in the roadway is dangerous and stupid, but unfortunately I cant think of any laws that the person could be charged with. Maybe because he/she was in the roadway - possibly reckless driving or endangerment?

It is kind of depressing that we never get updates about punishments these violators receive. What ever happened to that Joseph guy who posted the vid on facebook of the passenger jet landing at the airport, or the guy that hit the military helicopter with his P4 while on a mapping mission? They always say there's an investigation, but there never seems to be an outcome.

As far as this one goes, yes flying a drone in the roadway is dangerous and stupid, but unfortunately I cant think of any laws that the person could be charged with. Maybe because he/she was in the roadway - possibly reckless driving or endangerment?

He wasn't flying the drone in the roadway.

Clearly a weather balloon !! :rolleyes: ?

Seriously, that was close !

I saw it as almost playing chicken with the one bike, coming right down towards them from the opposite direction.
The MC officer actually DOES seem to move left to avoid it, or at least distance themselves from it, he obviously saw it.

Very poor form, and whether it was a kid just flying stupidly, or an adult being a fool, the whole drone community gets a black mark. Again.

He wasn't flying the drone in the roadway.

Seriously, it passes right next to the MC cop.
He moves left at 2 to 3 seconds, the drone passes at opposite direction right next to him (or her).

Reactions: EddieOi352 and Zeke
Clearly a weather balloon !! :rolleyes: ?

Seriously, that was close !

I saw it as almost playing chicken with the one bike, coming right down towards them from the opposite direction.
The MC officer actually DOES seem to move left to avoid it, or at least distance themselves from it, he obviously saw it.

Very poor form, and whether it was a kid just flying stupidly, or an adult being a fool, the whole drone community gets a black mark. Again.

Seriously, it passes right next to the MC cop.
He moves left at 2 to 3 seconds, the drone passes at opposite direction right next to him (or her).

We have a difference of opinion regarding what the video shows. I've watched it closely numerous times and it appears to me that when the drone comes into view it is over the sidewalk. The speed of the drone is difficult to judge because the motorcycle is moving in the opposite direction. The officer never had to take any evasive action.

We have a difference of opinion regarding what the video shows. I've watched it closely numerous times and it appears to me that when the drone comes into view it is over the sidewalk. The speed of the drone is difficult to judge because the motorcycle is moving in the opposite direction. The officer never had to take any evasive action.

We do !!
I saw also someone saw it as moving across the officers path, left to right.

If you look at the opening screen shot frame before you play the video, the drone is very much within a few feet.
If you look at the video again, see how the officer makes a move to the left in the opening seconds, about 2 feet.

No, even though my eyes aren't perfect any longer, this was certainly over the roadway, clearly well in front of the roadside bins.

If you can't see that, then we will likely need a poll to confirm consensus !! ? ✌

Reactions: WWMav
Nevertheless, it will probably be brought up at the next Tempe council meeting.

There will probably be some talk of what kind of laws can be put into place to prevent it from happening again.

Reactions: Zeke
We do !!

If you look at the opening screen shot frame before you play the video, the drone is very much within a few feet.
If you look at the video again, see how the officer makes a move to the left in the opening seconds, about 2 feet.

No, even though my eyes aren't perfect any longer, this was certainly over the roadway, clearly well in front of the roadside bins.

If you can't see that, then we will likely need a poll to confirm consensus !! ? ✌

We’ll have to agree to disagree since in my viewing both the screen shot and the video the drone appears to be over the sidewalk. There was no evasive action on the part of the either officer so either the are blind or didn’t see the drone as a threat.

We do !!

Agreed!!!

Yes if you realize it's been slowed WAY down you'll realize the right hand bike is indeed slightly veering left then right and it does appear to be he is potentially swerving to avoid contact. While we don't know for sure why he made the left then right manuever it would make sense it's to avoid the aircraft and then back into the original travel lane. It's every so slight but it's definitely there.

Reactions: dirkclod
It’s definitely over the road. Well I see it that way .
View attachment 93289

Your depth perception is lacking. Draw a line straight down from the drone and it's clearly over the sidewalk. You have grass, a sidewalk and then the road. As you go further in the video you can see the cracks in the concrete driveway entrances and the at the very end of the video a person walking on the sidewalk.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_