Join Us Now

Drone News: Network RID, First Approved CBO, LAANC Compliance is Low

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
digitalphotocreations.co
This week in drone news: The FAA has snuck network Remote ID into the norm by approving a bid for a company to download local Remote ID information and broadcast it on a nationwide network. The FAA has approved the first community-based organization (AMA). A study published by Aloft shows LAANC compliance is low, finally all the Pilot Institute courses are on sale! Go check it out!

Thought they said they weren't doing network remote id.
This was published 8 hours ago via Pilot Institute. Nov 18, 2022. Apparently, the FAA is trying to get it in

From what i took away was that the modules themselves would not connect to IP, but they would have nodes that pick up the over the air beacons and gateway them to the internet. Not sure I like that.

Technically, we are all grounded. Now that a CBO has been identified it is incumbent upon us to follow those guidelines. Those guidelines are not published by the AMA in any fashion that I can access. Our legal system states that ignorance of a law is no excuse not to adhere to said law. Catch 22. There is no remedy that I can imagine. 501C3's are exempt from FOIA requests and a request to the FAA to act as a liaison to the AMA seems like wasted energy as the FAA has authorized the AMA as it exists. Obviously, with over 1M drone pilots out there this may be difficult to enforce so at the moment none of this really means much. I have a fresh snow this morning and I gonna take my illegal drone up into the sky and get some video. Tomorrow maybe the drone goes in the trash. Who knows.

Technically, we are all grounded. Now that a CBO has been identified it is incumbent upon us to follow those guidelines. Those guidelines are not published by the AMA in any fashion that I can access. Our legal system states that ignorance of a law is no excuse not to adhere to said law. Catch 22. There is no remedy that I can imagine. 501C3's are exempt from FOIA requests and a request to the FAA to act as a liaison to the AMA seems like wasted energy as the FAA has authorized the AMA as it exists. Obviously, with over 1M drone pilots out there this may be difficult to enforce so at the moment none of this really means much. I have a fresh snow this morning and I gonna take my illegal drone up into the sky and get some video. Tomorrow maybe the drone goes in the trash. Who knows.
Well, recreational flyers would be grounded, but Part 107 pilots aren't subject to CBO rules. The AMA does have published safety guidelines that are available on its website, although the link currently isn't working for me, but seems to be here:

AFAICT they aren't any more stringent than the current Recreational rules, although the "5 miles from an airport" rule seems to be out of date (although maybe this is now updated in the AMA's current handbook that just doesn't want to load on my work computer).

Reactions: SmilingOgre
From what i took away was that the modules themselves would not connect to IP, but they would have nodes that pick up the over the air beacons and gateway them to the internet. Not sure I like that.
I think a lot of us would agree, maybe some not so out in the open, that this stuff is kinda getting out of hand.
What are they gonna do ? Start the “ drone police” and fine all of us and put us all in jail ???
Ridiculous.

Well, recreational flyers would be grounded, but Part 107 pilots aren't subject to CBO rules. The AMA does have published safety guidelines that are available on its website, although the link currently isn't working for me, but seems to be here:

AFAICT they aren't any more stringent than the current Recreational rules, although the "5 miles from an airport" rule seems to be out of date (although maybe this is now updated in the AMA's current handbook that just doesn't want to load on my work computer).
Problem is according to Greg from Pilot Institute and others that is just one portion of the guidelines. There are other associated documents that had to be sourced somehow via google and not readily available on the AMA website. Watch the video from post one of this thread.

Reactions: GFields
Someone who is buddies with the FAA Drone guy Kevin? Needs to do a Q and A video with him about how complex this is and how they realistically except people to comply with it in realistic terms not in theory. He was doing a ton of videos with various You Tubers before this, haven't seen him do anything in a while.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998