Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Pilot Risk Mitigation: Public Confrontation: Best Practices

aerialnorthwest

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
aerialnorthwest.com
Happy Saturday! I was recently asked to deliver a presentation on the topic of mitigating business risks for drone pilots, specifically in regards to public engagement and potential confrontations. Unfortunately, encounters with unexpected individuals can sometimes escalate into uncomfortable or even dangerous situations for drone pilots - particularly now that the public has access to pilot location and flight information via the new Remote ID regulations, set to take full affect all across the US this September.

While it may be entertaining to witness such confrontations happening to others, it's important for responsible drone pilots to proactively mitigate risks and ensure flight safety. Instead of waiting for such confrontations to occur, why not adopt a preventative approach that minimizes the chances of failure and maximizes the potential for safe and successful aerial missions?

I now share that presentation in the hope of adding at least least one new arrow for your drone pilot quiver. I would love to read your thoughts, stories, comments, and/or suggestions!

The Presentation: Drone Pilot vs. Public Confrontation: Best Practices

Fly amply aware! 😉 T

You have to somehow answer the WHY ? for those people not the Because ?

The biggest confrontations are with the Police an Authority- they want you gone regardless .
Angry People : Confused People : Scared People : That Person K wants the WHY ?

So the Key is to have a good reason for the Why ?

My best Response : I am Practicing for a Search and Rescue and marking down if this area has a good signal for such a mission.

This is my go to response regardless of why I am flying as were all practicing and noting if the signal is good. This allows me to follow up on the flight with focus .

If they catch you without a good Why because you were not prepared , there going to sense it.
So no matter what is your Why , just be prepared to sell it to de Escalate any more negative thoughts they were having at the time or Interruption.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , and Search and Rescue

Last edited:
You have to somehow answer the WHY ? for those people not the Because ?

The biggest confrontations are with the Police an Authority- they want you gone regardless .
Angry People : Confused People : Scared People : That Person K wants the WHY ?

So the Key is to have a good reason for the Why ?

My best Response : I am Practicing for a Search and Rescue and marking down if this area has a good signal for such a mission. This is my go to response regardless of why I am flying as were all practicing and noting if the signal is good. This allows me to follow up on the flight with focus .

If they catch you without a good Why because you were not prepared , there going to sense it.
So no matter what is your Why , just be prepared to sell it to de Escalate any more negative thoughts they were having at the time or Interruption.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , and Search and Rescue
Why = Intent! For sure! ;-) T

Thanks for sharing. I am one of the fortunate ones that have only been confronted a couple of times in the years that I've been flying. I agree with knowing the Why is of utmost importance. Because I only do commercial work, I always have the permission(s) of the owner/broker to do what I do, and telling the inquirer that usually is enough.

The most recent confrontation was by a store leaser in a strip mall. The strip mall is for sale and apparently, the tenants don't know this. She comes out screaming at me, "Can I help you?" to which I reply, no mam, I don't need any help. She continues (screaming) what do you think you're doing? I respond by saying, doing what the property owner wants. You know, the one you pay your rent to? They want photos taken of the property. She turns around and leaves. I didn't tell her that they were selling the property. :)

Thanks for sharing. I am one of the fortunate ones that have only been confronted a couple of times in the years that I've been flying. I agree with knowing the Why is of utmost importance. Because I only do commercial work, I always have the permission(s) of the owner/broker to do what I do, and telling the inquirer that usually is enough.

The most recent confrontation was by a store leaser in a strip mall. The strip mall is for sale and apparently, the tenants don't know this. She comes out screaming at me, "Can I help you?" to which I reply, no mam, I don't need any help. She continues (screaming) what do you think you're doing? I respond by saying, doing what the property owner wants. You know, the one you pay your rent to? They want photos taken of the property. She turns around and leaves. I didn't tell her that they were selling the property. :)
When we fly, we make it so obvious that by our activities and signage, they know we mean business! For those who may push the issue, we hand them a pre-produced brochure which explains our mission. That has rendered complete satisfaction thus far! ;-)

"... encounters with unexpected individuals can sometimes escalate into uncomfortable or even dangerous situations for drone pilots."

This is a common topic, but are there a significant number of actual cases of violence against drone pilots? Certainly, there are documented cases of people being unpleasant, but the only actual physical threat or danger I've read about is one report in which someone shoved the pilot at a Chicago park.

"... encounters with unexpected individuals can sometimes escalate into uncomfortable or even dangerous situations for drone pilots."

This is a common topic, but are there a significant number of actual cases of violence against drone pilots? Certainly, there are documented cases of people being unpleasant, but the only actual physical threat or danger I've read about is one report in which someone shoved the pilot at a Chicago park.
I've dealt with a number of people who have been shot at, physically attacked, and have had their drones shot down. The latest shooting was just last week in North Carolina.

So yeah, there are plenty of documented cases.

Reactions: aerialnorthwest
I've dealt with a number of people who have been shot at, physically attacked, and have had their drones shot down. The latest shooting was just last week in North Carolina.

Good to know. Are there any common factors among those cases? Urban or Rural? Commercial or recreational flights? Other?

Good to know. Are there any common factors among those cases? Urban or Rural? Commercial or recreational flights? Other?
Mostly rural, a couple of urban. And mostly commercial.

I always find this topic interesting. I don't know if it's because I'm in Canada, but in 5 years of flying I have never had anyone ever "get in my face" while flying.
I have had a few curious people come over to me and ask questions about the aircraft and hobby. Range, flight time, cost etc. They have asked about the laws and regulations, generally because they want to know what they will be facing themselves should they decide to enter the Skies themselves.
I happily show off my equipment, as well as my license and registrations for my birds and give them a quick demonstration of how stable these birds are.
They quickly see I am a serious, qualified, and most importantly a SAFE operator.
I show them onscreen my airspace map which clearly indicates the class of airspace we are in and they are always impressed. Not once have I had an angry confrontation.
Mind you I don't fly Commercially so I'm typically not in a highly populated area.

I had someone get his shotgun to shoot down my Mavic last summer. This was out in farm country and I was flying from one farm to another. The same family owned both farms, a family which I married into. I had permission to fly over both and one of the in-laws asked me to fly over his son's house. That house was on a plot that had been carved out of the farmland. It's a beautiful area for flying with rolling hills and no people.

I passed over to his house to get to the other farm. I then flew back. I flew over at roughly about 250 ft and didn't spend any time at that house. I flew it back and eventually landed. The in-law's son pulled up all agitated and told his dad that he was looking for the drone so that he could shoot it down. As soon as he heard the drone, he went to get his shotgun but I was long gone by the time he had the shotgun ready. Having seen him shoot "varmints" before, I know he would shoot it.

I held up my Mavic and said "do you mean this?". We then had a long conversation about how shooting a device registered with the FAA would be a "bad thing" for him. I also showed him the video and he realized that his privacy had not been violated.

People fear what they don't know. The more we can show people that we are not spying on them or trying to cause problems, the easier it will be for all of us.

I am curious if any of those cases were ever prosecuted at the federal level for attempting to shoot down an aircraft? I assume that most if not all were handled at the local level with charges such as assault, destruction of property or illegally discharging a firearm within city limits.

I am curious if any of those cases were ever prosecuted at the federal level for attempting to shoot down an aircraft? I assume that most if not all were handled at the local level with charges such as assault, destruction of property or illegally discharging a firearm within city limits.
For research purposes, I hope these few resources are helpful.

If you need anything else, ping me anytime!

All the best, T ;-)

Legal Article to Review: Is It Illegal To Shoot Down A Drone Flying Over Your Property?
News Story 1 to Review: Pueblo men fire guns at drone flying over Fountain Creek area
News Story 2 to Review: Burke County man’s drone shot down by gunfire, deputies investigating
News Story 3 to Review: Man hit with two felony charges after shooting down a drone

For research purposes, I hope these few resources are helpful.

If you need anything else, ping me anytime!

All the best, T ;-)

Legal Article to Review: Is It Illegal To Shoot Down A Drone Flying Over Your Property?
News Story 1 to Review: Pueblo men fire guns at drone flying over Fountain Creek area
News Story 2 to Review: Burke County man’s drone shot down by gunfire, deputies investigating
News Story 3 to Review: Man hit with two felony charges after shooting down a drone
Thanks

So far no. I've talked with my FAA contacts, as well the my FBI contacts, and the DOJ doesn't want anything to do with them. Their attitude is that no one was seriously hurt, so they don't want to deal with it.

We've tried numerous times at the local and federal level, but to no avail.

So far no. I've talked with my FAA contacts, as well the my FBI contacts, and the DOJ doesn't want anything to do with them. Their attitude is that no one was seriously hurt, so they don't want to deal with it.

We've tried numerous times at the local and federal level, but to no avail.
Thanks for the info.

"Head them off at the pass" that's my way of avoiding confrontation.
I generally fly in public areas make, sure I'm not endangering other people, but most important cheerfully invite people to ask and respond to questions.
I live in a 55+ community and a fellow pilot and I are giving a demonstration next month for our residents and any local interested.
The aim is to explain and answer questions about flying, explain the rules. Most important reduce the anxiety that uninformed people have.
Overall people my age not threatening because we don't appear to be dangerous, voyeurs, or spys.. (LOL)

"Head them off at the pass" that's my way of avoiding confrontation.
I generally fly in public areas make, sure I'm not endangering other people, but most important cheerfully invite people to ask and respond to questions.
I live in a 55+ community and a fellow pilot and I are giving a demonstration next month for our residents and any local interested.
The aim is to explain and answer questions about flying, explain the rules. Most important reduce the anxiety that uninformed people have.
Overall people my age not threatening because we don't appear to be dangerous, voyeurs, or spys.. (LOL)
I'm laughing right now Bob! Your last line got me! Insofar as your upcoming demonstration goes, I think that's fantastic! I also love the way you maintain a "preventative approach" relative to fly area choices. Situational awareness is paramount! Enjoy the skies Bob! Much respect sir, T ;-)

I believe I had my Phantom 2 shot at in a rural part of Washington State back in 2014. Was flying recreationally over a lake from the roadside (dirt road). A truck drove by twice quite slow and a few minutes later two shots rang out from close by. Landed the drone, waited about 10 minutes, no more gunfire. So I figured it was safe to launch again, thinking it was just a coincidence, But as soon as I was about 100" agl, 3 shots rang out. Immediately landed and was out of there.
Since we weren't sure if it was just the timing of the shots or if they were actually trying to hit the drone, we didn't report the incident.

I'm going to have to be that "Guy" and say that 'taking the high road and walking away only reinforces their bad behavior and they will continue to do it because we made it successful for them". Just because they're ignorant of the rules ie: yes, you do own the airspace over your property but your property ownership comes with an easement to the FAA for any and all aerospace vehicles. It can be explained in a way to de-escalate and to educate as long as we don't come across as "The Know it all Expert". To me it would be the same as walking up to someone driving on the road in your neighborhood and saying "hey you can't drive here" and then expecting them to just leave.
I learned the hard way that letting the "bully" get their way and intimidate you is the best way to let their bad behavior continue. I always prefer to educate as has been said on the Why I'm here and why I'm allowed to be here. I offer to show them the LAANC FAA approval for my flight so they know I've taken the steps for my flight to be "Authorized" by the FAA.
Of course every situation is different, but until we stand our ground and stand up for our rights to be piloting an unmanned aerial vehicle where the FAA authorized the flight, it will continue to happen. Be reasonable, offer to explain and educate without brow beating the person who either may not know better and will be receptive or are just looking to get their way.
I have a thick skin so if you want to flame me, have at it!
Matthew Caswell, SMSgt, USAF (Retired)
FAA Certified Drone Pilot

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne