DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Purchase Recommendation

Wow, now I seem to be more overwhelmed. This page on one PC monitor and a web page on the other. Seen lots of drones from all your advice and seem very similar ones by different names. I still have not flown a drone since I had to return the one I bought for not being to get a functional battery shipped to me.

Here are my new specs after reading all from you.

- With all I found on-line, I am willing to upgrade my price limit to $300.
I found a lot of drones I would like below $300.
- Occusync (optional)
- Drone with a sturdy case
- New not refurbished
- I could not find a Dji Mini SE, with case below $300.
- Found a Holy Stone drones below $300
- Saw Ruko F11 below $300

you might want to go with a Mini 2 base. after flying for a bit you can add to it as time and money permit. Hard cases can be purchased on Amazon or Ebay as well as extra batteries.

When I first jumped into Mavics I got a pre owned M1P with 2 batteries and some lens filters for about $550. I then added more batteries, a hard case, landing pad, second M1P, another controller, MAS props, more batteries etc. I now have 2 of the M1P's, 10 good (3 bad batteries), 2 hard cases, 3 controllers, filters, landing pad and several sets of props.

Best to go with Mini 2 if buying in that category. Occusync is far beyond wi-fi that the original Mini uses. Wi-fi is short range and if you don't fly in open areas - signal is lost pretty easy. The original Mini is a fun to fly drone, but why buy one when the Mini 2 / SE are way better and not that much more expensive unless you find a Mini at a really great price.

I have an original Mini and like it. Just don't fly it much as I bought the Air2 and in a totally different league than the Mini series. I keep it for traveling outside of the US.

With the newer Air2S and the Mavic 3 coming out - even the Air2 can be a good buy if you can get the FlyMore kit as well. Extra batteries are a must. Buying them separately gets expensive at nearly $115 a piece.
I've got 3 Mini-2s and they are just awesome!

But, I'm looking for recommendations for a friend who wants to buy one for her son for Christmas. She wisely concluded that she should buy it early, rather than last minute.

Her price range is $200-250. I want to give her three options, one of which will be the Mini SE, despite being slightly above that range.

I'm looking for two that actually are in her price range. She wants both camera and GPS capability, but neither need to be as good as the Minis.

Suggestions?

Thx!

TCS

you might want to go with a Mini 2 base. after flying for a bit you can add to it as time and money permit. Hard cases can be purchased on Amazon or Ebay as well as extra batteries.

When I first jumped into Mavics I got a pre owned M1P with 2 batteries and some lens filters for about $550. I then added more batteries, a hard case, landing pad, second M1P, another controller, MAS props, more batteries etc. I now have 2 of the M1P's, 10 good (3 bad batteries), 2 hard cases, 3 controllers, filters, landing pad and several sets of props.
My initial demise with the returned drone was, the batteries were bad and could not purchase extra battery; cannot be shipped alone to Anchorage, Alaska. Such batteries has to be accompanied by the device. Airline regulations.

What's the deal about having a landing pad?
How come you have three bad batteries?

Cheers

Though I raised my limit to #300, looks like DJi Minie 2 is not within my range. I checked both Amazon and eBay.
My goal is to get a drone (drone and case) all at the $300 limit. Guess I would have to move away from the DJi Mini 2.
Sad!

@caxtin, if you're shopping in the neighborhood of $200, I think the Mini is your best bet. You can get a DJI recertified Mini with the Fly More Combo on ebay for $289 with free shipping.

Yes, other drones mentioned here are far more capable, but they cost a lot more.

If you want to stretch your budget a bit, a Mini 2 would be the next step up. With the Fly More Combo you can get a DJI refurbished one for $419.

I disagree that the Mini is only a toy. People have done serious commercial work with them. I started out with one a couple of years ago and I was dazzled by it. (I'm an engineer and Part 61 pilot and I loved it.) Anything that you fly a few miles; show you in real time what it's seeing; position itself with GPS; respond to your flight commands; show you its location, speed, altitude; fly automated patterns, and bring back 2.7k video and 12 mp photos is more than a mere toy.

And even if it was a toy, it's the coolest, most sophisticated, technologically amazing toy you'll find for the price.

I've got 3 Mini-2s and they are just awesome!

But, I'm looking for recommendations for a friend who wants to buy one for her son for Christmas. She wisely concluded that she should buy it early, rather than last minute.

Her price range is $200-250. I want to give her three options, one of which will be the Mini SE, despite being slightly above that range.

I'm looking for two that actually are in her price range. She wants both camera and GPS capability, but neither need to be as good as the Minis.

Suggestions?

Thx!

TCS
Maybe have a look at the bugs 7. Like a cheaper version of the mini and actually has a decent camera.
Can be found on eBay for a decent price.

My initial demise with the returned drone was, the batteries were bad and could not purchase extra battery; cannot be shipped alone to Anchorage, Alaska. Such batteries has to be accompanied by the device. Airline regulations.

What's the deal about having a landing pad?
How come you have three bad batteries?

Cheers
I flew with my drone to Ft Lauderdale FL as carry on luggage with 3 batteries in a hard case. i dont use the landing pad often but if i am flying at the beach it does keep sand from flying around. Two of my batteries swelled up. I think this was my fault. For a while i was keeping one of my drones in the case, batteries charged and in the trunk of my car. Im in Houston TX and our summers are a bit toasty. Lessons learned; 1. do not keep LiPO batteries in a hot environment for extended periods of time and, 2. do not store batteries fully charged but discharge to 40-60%. One of my batteries that was aftermarket had one of the side clips just fall out. Fortunately it did this at my desk and not at 350 ft up and 5000 ft away.

I flew with my drone to Ft Lauderdale FL as carry on luggage with 3 batteries in a hard case. i dont use the landing pad often but if i am flying at the beach it does keep sand from flying around. Two of my batteries swelled up. I think this was my fault. For a while i was keeping one of my drones in the case, batteries charged and in the trunk of my car. Im in Houston TX and our summers are a bit toasty. Lessons learned; 1. do not keep LiPO batteries in a hot environment for extended periods of time and, 2. do not store batteries fully charged but discharge to 40-60%. One of my batteries that was aftermarket had one of the side clips just fall out. Fortunately it did this at my desk and not at 350 ft up and 5000 ft away.
Sure I can travel with the batteries, but to buy extra and get it shipped to me, they say no, illegal.
Good to know about the swollen-up batteries.
On Amazon, I found some drones I won't mind, so, am asking drone enthusiasts.

1. How about protection plan for a drone, is it necessary?
2. Better to have a drone with articulate and not fixed camera, or is that not an issue?
3. Can a drone be flown in a cold temperature, say at about -10F, for a short time? I doubt it!
That is taking it out to the outside from a warm place?
4. SD Card. What's the size of videos you capture to know what minimum size card to use.
5. Ruko F11 Pro
6. Holy Stone HS720
7. Riison GPS 4K UHD

Cheers

Last edited:
I fly several drones for sport and fun. I also drive boats, trucks and dive RC Subs.
One thing I ALWAYS have on me is my Mini2. If you can swing the fly more package; you will love it.
I have said this many times: this little drone is a Mini tank in the sky, very good battery life, sub-250g, easy to travel and everything can be charges with a simple USB C cable. When I say a tank in the air...I have 3 Mini2s and they are solid in the air even with 25 MPH winds. Experience has stream-lined their deployment. In under 30 seconds I can usually have the drone deployed which can be very handy when rare opportunities present themselves.
Good luck !

Last edited:
I fly several drones for sport and fun. I also drive boats, trucks and dive RC Subs.
One thing I ALWAYS have on me is my Mini2. If you can swing the fly more package; you will love it.
I have said this many times: this little drone is a Mini tank in the sky, very good battery life, sub-250g, easy to travel and everything can be charges with a simple USB C cable. When I say a tank in the air...I have 3 Mini2s and they are solid in the air even with 25 MPH winds. Experience has stream-lined their deployment. In under 30 seconds I can usually have the drone deployed which can be very handy when rare opportunities present themselves.
Good luck !
Thank you for the clear advice. I can't go beyond my second set limit. I am not in the same level of drone enthusiast level as most folks here. I just need a 'toy' to play with, nothing beyond my $300 limit.
Thanks you for the info.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Differences between Mini SE and Mini 2 is just
Mini SE = Enhanced Wifi, uses same remote as Mini 1, Shoots video at 2.7K
Mini 2 = Occusync, uses different remote, Video 4K
Everything else is the same, motors, battery, props, wind resist, casing..

If you have more budget, go with Mini 2, but if you are in tight budget, go Mini SE,.. or if you are in really tight budget, go on used Mini 1.. or MJX Bugs, SJRC, Fimi.. just make sure it is GPS drone, and have camera gimbal..

Few months ago, I flown DJI Tello.. drones that considered "toy drone" (or learning platform).. it is not GPS drone.. and as a result.. my Tello decided to land at a pond... LOL... yeah hard mistake.. but i can tell you, having a "toy" drone and a GPS camera drone is night and day difference...

now i'm more than happy to fly my Mini SE..

Last edited:
Sure I can travel with the batteries, but to buy extra and get it shipped to me, they say no, illegal.
Good to know about the swollen-up batteries.
On Amazon, I found some drones I won't mind, so, am asking drone enthusiasts.

1. How about protection plan for a drone, is it necessary?
2. Better to have a drone with articulate and not fixed camera, or is that not an issue?
3. Can a drone be flown in a cold temperature, say at about -10F, for a short time? I doubt it!
That is taking it out to the outside from a warm place?
4. SD Card. What's the size of videos you capture to know what minimum size card to use.
5. Ruko F11 Pro
6. Holy Stone HS720
7. Riison GPS 4K UHD

Cheers
Who is "they"?

What government
Differences between Mini SE and Mini 2 is just
Mini SE = Enhanced Wifi, uses same remote as Mini 1, Shoots video at 2.7K
Mini 2 = Occusync, uses different remote, Video 4K
Everything else is the same, motors, battery, props, wind resist, casing..

If you have more budget, go with Mini 2, but if you are in tight budget, go Mini SE,.. or if you are in really tight budget, go on used Mini 1.. or MJX Bugs, SJRC, Fimi.. just make sure it is GPS drone, and have camera gimbal..

Few months ago, I flown DJI Tello.. drones that considered "toy drone" (or learning platform).. it is not GPS drone.. and as a result.. my Tello decided to land at a pond... LOL... yeah hard mistake.. but i can tell you, having a "toy" drone and a GPS camera drone is night and day difference...

now i'm more than happy to fly my Mini SE..
Very helpful info on Mini-2 vs Mini SE!

Do any of you know of a site that posts a side-by-side comparison of drones that have both a gimbal and GPS, in the $200-250 price range? This is for a buddy of mine who want to buy their son a drone for Christmas. I'm going to include the Mini SE in my recommendations, but I want to include a couple that are actually in her price range as well.

What I'm really looking for, though, is the comparison table.

Is there a "Consumer Reports" for drones?

Thx,

TCS

Who is "they"?

What government

Very helpful info on Mini-2 vs Mini SE!

Do any of you know of a site that posts a side-by-side comparison of drones that have both a gimbal and GPS, in the $200-250 price range? This is for a buddy of mine who want to buy their son a drone for Christmas. I'm going to include the Mini SE in my recommendations, but I want to include a couple that are actually in her price range as well.

What I'm really looking for, though, is the comparison table.

Is there a "Consumer Reports" for drones?

Thx,

TCS
"They" - USPS regulations. I specifically went to there and the lady said so.
"Government" - The USPS lady said the regulation is by the airlines/US government for shipping such battery to Anchorage, Alaska.
"Camera Gimbal" - Adds more to the cost of the drone; it shoots it way over my budget.

What baffles me is, I got a phone power bank shipped to me, and wifey traveled with this power bank by air to New Orleans. Believe me, I counted , I ordered the extra battery for the returned drone for a least five times. The payment will be cleared and a few days later, I get a that my item cannot be shipped to me. Wish you know how frustrating that would be. So, this is why am avoiding getting a drone with only one battery. Though the drone (Potensic T25) I returned, came with two batteries and both went back after charging them.

When you purchased your drones, did you add any protection plans?

Last edited:
I have DJI Care Refresh on all three of my Mini-2s. I used it a couple of times in my early training.

That's just weird about the Alaska shipping restriction. If it applied to shipping the batteries anywhere, that would at least be consistent.

Now that you mention it though, I've never bought just batteries. I got the "More Fly Combo" will all of my Mini-2s, bought at the local Best Buy. With 9 batteries total, I've never had the slightest interest in getting more!

TCS

With lipos, it is simply the shipping in air cargo that's a problem.
As per travelling with a drone, it's ok to have one in cargo with a battery fitted into the drone securely, but loose lipos must go in cabin (I still wouldn't risk having one in cargo hold).

I couldn't even get FHT to ship their Dual and ARCII strobes by post from the US, and those only have tiny 250mAh battery (ARCII, smaller again on the Dual).
Those are soft lipos though, with a shrink wrap, not a good hard case drone battery.

What baffles me is, I got a phone power bank shipped to me,

That's true, and the Li-ion batteries are more prone to fire risk when overcharged.
Phones, laptops, certainly plenty of cases in aircraft and at airports (anywhere of course) of them going up, the burn injuries can be particularly bad with phones in pockets.

Hello folks, I have spent lots of time reading about drones and it's features. It looks like I really would like to have a gimbal feature. The electronic stabilization is still wonderful. For me to really get what I want, it would be in the range of $340-$400. Am pondering about all. I found DJI Mini Combo for $400.

Can someone please answer my question about protection plan, if it is really needed. I seldom use protection plans in my appliances, that' just me. Saw a drone with a 3-year, $34 protection plan.

Hello folks, I have spent lots of time reading about drones and it's features. It looks like I really would like to have a gimbal feature. The electronic stabilization is still wonderful. For me to really get what I want, it would be in the range of $340-$400. Am pondering about all. I found DJI Mini Combo for $400.

Can someone please answer my question about protection plan, if it is really needed. I seldom use protection plans in my appliances, that' just me. Saw a drone with a 3-year, $34 protection plan.
Have a look at post #26. There are refurbished Mini 2 combos available for $419. Free shipping, 30-day return, warranty. $289 for the Mini.

Have a look at post #26. There are refurbished Mini 2 combos available for $419. Free shipping, 30-day return, warranty. $289 for the Mini.
Yep, I saw the #26 post. I have never been a fan of refurbished (especially electronic) items.
Did you add any protection plan for your drones?
What's the "combo" in the name?
What is the "fly more" in the description?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986