DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Slides For Kids?

Chaosrider

Reactions
It looks like I may be giving an "Introduction to Drones" presentation to some local school kids, 8 - 12 year old. My current theory of the presentation is about 20 minutes of introduction, and then flight and other hands-on time for the remaining 40 minutes.

What I'm looking for is a short set of slides (PowerPoint, Word, whatever) that would serve as an introduction to drones for the kids, before we go play with them. Do any of you have such a slide deck? Or suggestions for what it should included?

I wonder if DJI might have that kind of thing?

Also, there's a principle of learning that most people can only hold three concepts in their head at the same time. So I'm looking for a set of three rules that are crisp and short enough that the kids will remember them. The first two are:

1) Don't fly over people
2) Keep the drone where you can see it
3) ??

I'm open to suggestion for the 3rd rule!

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: Prop Wash
I'd add
"moving cars" to number 1 and, for both, explain why.
"above 400ft" to number 2 and, for both, explain why.
Or would that be breaking the 3 things rule?
For 3 perhaps wind/weather? explaining that the drone has air speed limitations i.e. it's not like a car.

Hi
Don’t fly over moving vehicles.

Good luck to you, this sounds fun!
A good one, to be sure, but I don't know if it should be a separate item. I think I'll add it to the first one, which will then become:

1) Don't fly over people or moving cars

It will definitely be fun! In addition to that, it's a public service. What better way to introduce kids to STEM stuff, than with some cool drone flying?

:)

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: dozzn
I wonder if Pilot Institute has some short "Intro to Drones" video, maybe 5 - 10 minutes long? That might be ideal. After a few opening comments, I'd run the demo vid, then go into the 3 rules, and then get right down to holding and flying the drones.

Depending on how many kids are in the audience, it may not be possible for all of them to get a turn flying, but I can make sure that they all get a chance to at least *hold* one.

:)

TCS

I'd add
"moving cars" to number 1 and, for both, explain why.
"above 400ft" to number 2 and, for both, explain why.
Or would that be breaking the 3 things rule?
For 3 perhaps wind/weather? explaining that the drone has air speed limitations i.e. it's not like a car.
I definitely want to keep the "three things" rule, since it's not even my rule! But wind is certainly important.

I think wind will be one of the key points that I reference, but I don't think that can trump any of the (newly revised!) existing three:

1) Don't fly over people or moving cars
3) Don't fly too high

On the other hand...thinking about it more...I don't think flying too high is likely to be a problem in their early flying, but wind could easily be. So perhaps, it would be better with number 3 as:

3) Don't fly when it's windy.

Thx!

TCS

So this topic comes up about once a year.
All i can tell you is you should focus more on what a drone can do :

Pictures
inspections
Perimeter checks for farms and land
Cinematic video
Telling a story
Creating atmosphere
Search and rescue

and maybe 5 % at the end of you Presentation as to what rules need to be followed.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

It looks like I may be giving an "Introduction to Drones" presentation to some local school kids, 8 - 12 year old. My current theory of the presentation is about 20 minutes of introduction, and then flight and other hands-on time for the remaining 40 minutes.

What I'm looking for is a short set of slides (PowerPoint, Word, whatever) that would serve as an introduction to drones for the kids, before we go play with them. Do any of you have such a slide deck? Or suggestions for what it should included?

I wonder if DJI might have that kind of thing?

Also, there's a principle of learning that most people can only hold three concepts in their head at the same time. So I'm looking for a set of three rules that are crisp and short enough that the kids will remember them. The first two are:

1) Don't fly over people
3) ??

I'm open to suggestion for the 3rd rule!

Thx,

TCS
Email me at [email protected] and I can send you a set of slides I use. It is probably longer than 20 min but you can remove whatever you don't want.

So this topic comes up about once a year.
All i can tell you is you should focus more on what a drone can do :

Pictures
inspections
Perimeter checks for farms and land
Cinematic video
Telling a story
Creating atmosphere
Search and rescue

and maybe 5 % at the end of you Presentation as to what rules need to be followed.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
So, if it comes up every year...has anybody generated a set of slides?

;-)

If not, I'll post mine when I get them done.

I think I'm going to pursue a different path than you suggest. My main focus is going to be on "cool" rather than "useful". I'll certainly answer questions about useful if they come up, but I may not bring it up until the second presentation...if there is one.

Thx!

TCS

It's now a moot point but I think "too high" would have been ambiguous, what is too high, above head height, above roof height, above tree height etc. etc.?
I agree.

I'm going to let the height issue be more in the background, and reserve slot #3 for wind, which I think new kid pilots will encounter as an issue much more often.

Thx,

TCS

Email me at [email protected] and I can send you a set of slides I use. It is probably longer than 20 min but you can remove whatever you don't want.
Awesome, email sent!

If this introduction ends up being "All Pilot Institute, all the time", I'm good with that! I'm already going to send the kids and/or their parents to Pilot Institute to get their own personal pilot license (TRUST). They have to do that anyway to be legal, so why not make it fun?

;-)

Thanks!

TCS

Rather than bore them with regulations, why not dazzle them with the wonder of a tiny machine that can fly like a hummingbird, shoot beautiful photographs and videos, let you watch what it sees in your telephone, show you on a map exactly where it is during the flight, and find it's own way back home. Then wow them by showing them the hardware, how the controls work and doing a demo flight if possible. Talk about how drones are being used for fun, shooting video for Hollywood, spraying crops, delivering emergency gear to remote locations, map making and surveying, inspections on towers, powerlines, buildings, and bridges, ... And finish with the idea that while drones are fun, they're not just toys. You need to know the basic rules and fly safely, so you can be a TRUSTed pilot.

I know you were hoping to find an existing presentation or some good content to borrow. Nothing here, but I wonder if a group like The Pilot Institute might have something. EDIT: I see that while I was typing this, the same suggestion and an offer were being posted.

I agree.

I'm going to let the height issue be more in the background, and reserve slot #3 for wind, which I think new kid pilots will encounter as an issue much more often.

Thx,

TCS
Maybe not just wind, but weather in general . Wind , rain , chance of rain or storm ,

I don't know if you have any budget, but something like a Tello might be a good low-risk way to get them some hands-on. Could even be done indoors in the gym or something. If this hobby is something any of them want to pursue, that's a pretty good low-cost entry point I could see someone of those ages starting out with.

Reactions: Prop Wash and dozzn
This is a rough one. I understand the wanting to teach. But there is so much more to it than an hour can provide.
Best of luck and fly safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J