DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone stuck on bridge!

The bad news is 75 ft , most likely your not going to do well with the fishing net.
The remote start might have been you best bet with 75 ft to regain some stability as that is possible with no one down below, I would have gone for it. lol

Than again it might not have let you take off most likely as that angle is more than we have used on the lunar pads for take off.
So we know they can take off at angles but not sure on that angle.

I will test that out tomorrow just so i know . The problem with the rescue mission is that judging distance that high with the beam as your warning guide could take down the rescue drone, you may need to let the Fire Department know and they may get it down for you if they feel it is a threat.

That why I would have tried the remote start when you had that chance.
Its going to be a long night for her. # 3 is alive . ;)
Man I gotta tell ya, This forum is incredible! And my Air is healthy and strong once again. Thanks to portermann.

There's a Hero in the LA area who needed no cape to make a spectacular Drone Rescue in what is now being called The Miracle on Magic Mountain! My heartfelt thanks go out to portermann and his Family for taking the time and the personal risk to save a stranded Air. There's talk amongst my DJI children of elevating The Mann to Sainthood. Send up the White Smoke!
Thank you Portermann. Thank you.

Shawn Paul

I don't know about anyone else, but some days the worlds seems like a pretty crappy place, and then you read one person praising the heroics of another and get the reminder that you need that actually there are a lot of good people out there.

So thanks for sharing this. Today, as it happens, I need this kind of positivity.

What is funny is a few of us recommended fireman , I never herd of a portermann so i was looking that up , than it hit me. :p The Forum hero . Awesome.

I don't know about anyone else, but some days the worlds seems like a pretty crappy place, and then you read one person praising the heroics of another and get the reminder that you need that actually there are a lot of good people out there.

So thanks for sharing this. Today, as it happens, I need this kind of positivity.
I remind myself often that news tends to spew a lot of doom and gloom. You're right, I would rather think there's a lot more good people out there than bad, and when the chips are down we lend a hand where we can.

I was familiar with the bridge, I surveyed the area on my own (I had never considered climbing to the top of the bridge before) both from the ground and from my MA2. I couldn't see it with my AC because I couldn't get close enough and being a new pilot I didn't feel comfortable with my flying skills. I have other skills thought and I realized I could get it, I have the climbing equipment to do it, and most importantly I could get it safely. Climbing it was the best option since the drone was in an awkward position and tucked under the overhead lip of the I-beam at the very top of the bridge, making it difficult for a drone/hook recovery.

I PMed Shawn and asked him to do the leg work to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble climbing up there. We met after he got in contact with a reasonable response. Since there were the occasional people bike riding and walking on the bridge at the time, we wanted to be efficient as possible and minimize our disturbance. Its was hot out here, the high temp for the day was 106 degrees F and at the time it was over 100 degree F - that certainly motivated me as well. We fashioned a main line I could ascend, while my wife helped with a redundant safety on a separate line. At the top, it was just resting there, I plucked it, placed it bag clipped to my harness, and I lowered myself back down. In the end everything went smoothly and the AC was recovered without any additional damage.

Shawn definitely conveyed his gratitude. That's enough for me.

Attachments

• Various - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Various - 1 of 1.jpeg
    850 KB · Views: 107
I remind myself often that news tends to spew a lot of doom and gloom. You're right, I would rather think there's a lot more good people out there than bad, and when the chips are down we lend a hand where we can.

I was familiar with the bridge, I surveyed the area on my own (I had never considered climbing to the top of the bridge before) both from the ground and from my MA2. I couldn't see it with my AC because I couldn't get close enough and being a new pilot I didn't feel comfortable with my flying skills. I have other skills thought and I realized I could get it, I have the climbing equipment to do it, and most importantly I could get it safely. Climbing it was the best option since the drone was in an awkward position and tucked under the overhead lip of the I-beam at the very top of the bridge, making it difficult for a drone/hook recovery.

I PMed Shawn and asked him to do the leg work to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble climbing up there. We met after he got in contact with a reasonable response. Since there were the occasional people bike riding and walking on the bridge at the time, we wanted to be efficient as possible and minimize our disturbance. Its was hot out here, the high temp for the day was 106 degrees F and at the time it was over 100 degree F - that certainly motivated me as well. We fashioned a main line I could ascend, while my wife helped with a redundant safety on a separate line. At the top, it was just resting there, I plucked it, placed it bag clipped to my harness, and I lowered myself back down. In the end everything went smoothly and the AC was recovered without any additional damage.

Shawn definitely conveyed his gratitude. That's enough for me.
[/QU
Grade A badassery there.
It was an awesome sight for the passers by. For me is was SPIRITUAL! Badass describes it well!

Reactions: r.gwynn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000