DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone take off

PhotobyWD

Reactions
What is a safe distance from your automobile to take off with your drone?

I have a glass sliding sunroof in my Hyundai Santa Fe. I am going to take off from the roof and film it from underneath. ...once it takes off I will get my wife to open the roof so I can get an even clearer shot from underneath......……….just got to pluck up the courage and wait for the weather.

Are you asking in order to prevent compass interference? If so, 6+ feet would be sufficient.

This is what I do to check if my take off position is ok.
I place my launch pad with the north compass point facing north. Then I place my Mavic on the pad, turn it on and move 15-20 ft away, turn on my controller and monitor, then check that the triangular radar icon on my DJI Go 4 screen is pointed in the same direction relative to north as the Mavic. If it is, and all other indicators are ok (battery, satellites, etc) I launch.
If, during the flight, I lose my directional orientation, all I have to do is look at my launch pad.

Go 4 should inform you about magnetic interference if there is any. I routinely launch ~6ft from my car.

Go 4 should inform you about magnetic interference if there is any. I routinely launch ~6ft from my car.
There are plenty of cases where magnetic interference was not enough for the app to give a warning but the steel close to the compass causes serious impacts.
Particularly when launching from reinforced concrete.

There are plenty of cases where magnetic interference was not enough ....
Like I said, it should warn you. If there is enough steel to cause serious impact it should warn you. Best practice is to launch away from ferrous metal, check that the Mavic and Go 4 indicator are pointing in the same direction, insure good GPS reception, confirm the home point on the map, and hope it all works.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf