DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone taken away by police in US?

_supdns

Reactions
Hey all,

Just curious if any of you have had your drone taken by police as a result of reckless flying/ nfz or any other reasons.

Not interested in laws as written, interested in laws as applied by police.

I haven't had anything like that occur.

I would be curious under what authority you would think they would be able to confiscate it. Even if you were violating some actual law, that likely would not give them authority to seize your property.

They don't impound your car if you are driving recklessly.

Reactions: _supdns

I would be curious under what authority you would think they would be able to confiscate it. Even if you were violating some actual law, that likely would not give them authority to seize your property.

If you are misbehaving badly, I think the chance of getting your drone seized by police is quite high. They can contact the FAA in order to eventually turn it over to them. Even if it is seized improperly, the cost and effort to get it back is likely not worth the fight.

I had a detective friend of mine contact me looking for ways to jamb a guy up who kept flying a drone over a school during school hours.

Reactions: beejAMG
Hey all,

Just curious if any of you have had your drone taken by police as a result of reckless flying/ nfz or any other reasons.

Not interested in laws as written, interested in laws as applied by police.

Here’s the skinny... in my opinion we have better things to do than going around seizing drones...like 341 murders, people carrying illegal guns/ drugs, domestic violence, carjack ya, robberies and a opioid overdoses up the—. Where I work there aren’t really any ordances other than the common sense FAA regulations that we all know. I guarantee you that the ordinary cop doesn’t know FAA regulations, suggestions;per 107 from hobbyist, unless he too is a UAV pilot. If you are out flying like an *** orifice endangering property or people’s safety and get caught, you bet your *** you are going to get a stern talking. If you continue, then we have the good ole’ failure to obey a lawful order at which point you could be arrested. (I don’t make the laws and if you want to argue it, I’m not a lawyer a judge or politician) Your drone can’t go to jail with you. It will get seized and submitted for safe keeping. That is only temporarily and you can get it back. It’s a PITA, but you can. It’s a quick I’ll never do that again type of lesson. So if an arrest is made, I’d say that would be the only way to seize the drone temporarily... “for safe keeping”. Other than that, I don’t see any scenarios where an officer would just seize your drone for being an *** other than obvious illegal intentions such as a drone altered to inflict bodily harm or mass casualties. That has always been a fear of LEO during large social gatherings. For the most part, most...not all but most LEO will not direct attention to you unless is warranted. For the few that do, maybe they are uneducated on the actual laws and regulations, have nothing else to direct their attention to or are just plain ole’ “that guy.” I can assure you that most aren’t. Again, where I come from 341 bodies outweights being the drone police. This is my humble opinion based on 24 years of experience. Not saying that it can’t happen.

Here is a tip: best way to never find out, don’t be an *** fly safe and enjoy!

If you are misbehaving badly, I think the chance of getting your drone seized by police is quite high. They can contact the FAA in order to eventually turn it over to them. Even if it is seized improperly, the cost and effort to get it back is likely not worth the fight.

I had a detective friend of mine contact me looking for ways to jamb a guy up who kept flying a drone over a school during school hours.
Sounds like a complete overreaction by the police. And I'm a firm believer in following the rules. But both your paragraphs make no sense. Seizing of property due to "misbehaving" by the operator is illegal. And flying over schools is not illegal.

Sounds like a complete overreaction by the police. And I'm a firm believer in following the rules. But both your paragraphs make no sense. Seizing of property due to "misbehaving" by the operator is illegal. And flying over schools is not illegal.

I don't know the details, but this guy is obviously flying frequently enough and in a manner that concerns others that law enforcement is now interested. You don't have to be doing something illegal to be a jerk. Law enforcement is now studying FAA uas guidelines in an attempt to make this guy stop what he is doing. My guess is that if he continues his drone will get logged as evidence and he can go through the legal process of having it returned.

We call this PSGWSP (play stupid games win stupid prizes)

It's not necessarily right or just but its kind of how the world works.

I was at the DJI store in Times Square yesterday and the staff was telling the new owner of a phantom cops will fine and confiscate if flown in NYC. Although i also wouldnt recommend flying in manhattan, there are tons of photos and videos of people doing so.

Again, looking for actual examples, not your opinion

• Wow
Reactions: Filipok
Here’s the skinny... in my opinion we have better things to do than going around seizing drones...like 341 murders, people carrying illegal guns/ drugs, domestic violence, carjack ya, robberies and a opioid overdoses up the—. Where I work there aren’t really any ordances other than the common sense FAA regulations that we all know. I guarantee you that the ordinary cop doesn’t know FAA regulations, suggestions;per 107 from hobbyist, unless he too is a UAV pilot. If you are out flying like an @$$ orifice endangering property or people’s safety and get caught, you bet your @$$ you are going to get a stern talking. If you continue, then we have the good ole’ failure to obey a lawful order at which point you could be arrested. (I don’t make the laws and if you want to argue it, I’m not a lawyer a judge or politician) Your drone can’t go to jail with you. It will get seized and submitted for safe keeping. That is only temporarily and you can get it back. It’s a PITA, but you can. It’s a quick I’ll never do that again type of lesson. So if an arrest is made, I’d say that would be the only way to seize the drone temporarily... “for safe keeping”. Other than that, I don’t see any scenarios where an officer would just seize your drone for being an @$$ other than obvious illegal intentions such as a drone altered to inflict bodily harm or mass casualties. That has always been a fear of LEO during large social gatherings. For the most part, most...not all but most LEO will not direct attention to you unless is warranted. For the few that do, maybe they are uneducated on the actual laws and regulations, have nothing else to direct their attention to or are just plain ole’ “that guy.” I can assure you that most aren’t. Again, where I come from 341 bodies outweights being the drone police. This is my humble opinion based on 24 years of experience. Not saying that it can’t happen.

Here is a tip: best way to never find out, don’t be an @$$, fly safe and enjoy!
Thank you. I assumed as much, but i have read and yesterday heard DJI employees telling ppl the cops will take their drones. This helps get an inside perspective, thanks for that

If the police came to my house to sieze my drone I would smash it with a foot stomp on the way across the living room. Because like someone else said I’m probably not getting it back and I’ll be **** sure that no one else will get to use it.

Reactions: chadrob30
Thank you. I assumed as much, but i have read and yesterday heard DJI employees telling ppl the cops will take their drones. This helps get an inside perspective, thanks for that

Every jurisdiction is different. New York is always on high alert for obvious reasons. Don’t take what I said to be written in stone as it is based on where I work. I for one try to be informed when flying outside my usual geographical area to ensure there aren’t other laws, regulations or suggestions outside the scope of what I already know covered by the FAA.

Reactions: jamesjts
If the police came to my house to sieze my drone I would smash it with a foot stomp on the way across the living room. Because like someone else said I’m probably not getting it back and I’ll be **** sure that no one else will get to use it.

If the police came to your house to seize your drone, they’d need a warrant to enter your residence, search and then seize your drone. In order to get a warrant, they would need Probable Cause that a crime was committed in order for a judge to even sign it. So please don’t smash the drone...it’s not that serious.

Law enforcement is authorized to seize evidence of a crime or evidence material to a criminal investigation. So, yes, they could seize your drone in various circumstances without a warrant. (Whether they then need a warrant to look at the photos, videos or other data stored on the drone is different issue). This happened to a guy who crashed a Phantom while flying over a parade in downtown Seattle a few years ago. He was convicted of reckless endangerment. The police identified witnesses and reconstructed the flight route using data stored on the drone which they seized at the scene.

Police do confiscate anything they feel is a threat to public safety, someone said they can’t confiscated a car just because the driver is reckless! Yes they can depending on what jurisdiction they’re in! I know this to be fact I worked part time for a local and state contracted towing company I was ordered to take possession of quite a few vehicles and other items like a electric wheelchair (that was being used to obstruct traffic) so yes the police can confiscate a drone without the FAA! If it’s considered a nuanced or hazardous to the public! Then you will have to take it up with a judge or magistrate again depending on if you in a state or commonwealth?

Flying over schools with students, staff and/or faculty is illegal...intentionally flying over any crowd of people is illegal unless you have a release to do so.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and MAVA4
Many cities pass laws of restrictions on drones that are more restrictive than FAA rules. I don't believe these local laws will stand, but, Unless we get a few court cases to resolve the matter the drone operator is always subject to the misapplication of the law by an officer who rarely knows the law. We see every day in the news of well intentioned cops making bad decisions including bad shootings. "Flyer" be aware , you always fly with the inherit risk of having a bad experience when you fly around people or groups.

Reactions: Filipok
I was at the DJI store in Times Square yesterday and the staff was telling the new owner of a phantom cops will fine and confiscate if flown in NYC. Although i also wouldnt recommend flying in manhattan, there are tons of photos and videos of people doing so.

While I agree with previous comments that "most police officers are not going to confiscate" in the larger metropolitan areas the law enforcement agencies are getting up to speed with the drone ordinances and laws. At the same time more an more law enforcement agencies (including local police) are using drones themselves for various reasons (and there are many).

In regards to many people posting the videos of flying in cities... The FAA is watching and in "my opinion" there will be a major crackdown at some point. Most likely it will be a prominent YouTube vlogger/s that will feel the wrath of the FAA. My thoughts are why would they (FAA) come after some small time everyday guy/gal when they can make a lager impact by taking down a social media character who has a million + followers. YouTube star Casey Neistat has many times (of recent) mentioned run-ins with the FAA. Although he hasn't give vivid details... Well look at it this way; he left the country to do his first review of the Mavic Air. Now I'll admit Bermuda was a nice place to do the review of the Mavic Air, but he could have done it anywhere. And he did make reference to "getting out of the city."

So I feel it is only a matter of time that the FAA takes a bite out of somebody well known and local police are getting up to speed (however fast that may be lol).

Fly smart and fly safe.

Here’s the skinny... in my opinion we have better things to do than going around seizing drones...like 341 murders, people carrying illegal guns/ drugs, domestic violence, carjack ya, robberies and a opioid overdoses up the—. Where I work there aren’t really any ordances other than the common sense FAA regulations that we all know. I guarantee you that the ordinary cop doesn’t know FAA regulations, suggestions;per 107 from hobbyist, unless he too is a UAV pilot. If you are out flying like an *** orifice endangering property or people’s safety and get caught, you bet your *** you are going to get a stern talking. If you continue, then we have the good ole’ failure to obey a lawful order at which point you could be arrested. (I don’t make the laws and if you want to argue it, I’m not a lawyer a judge or politician) Your drone can’t go to jail with you. It will get seized and submitted for safe keeping. That is only temporarily and you can get it back. It’s a PITA, but you can. It’s a quick I’ll never do that again type of lesson. So if an arrest is made, I’d say that would be the only way to seize the drone temporarily... “for safe keeping”. Other than that, I don’t see any scenarios where an officer would just seize your drone for being an *** other than obvious illegal intentions such as a drone altered to inflict bodily harm or mass casualties. That has always been a fear of LEO during large social gatherings. For the most part, most...not all but most LEO will not direct attention to you unless is warranted. For the few that do, maybe they are uneducated on the actual laws and regulations, have nothing else to direct their attention to or are just plain ole’ “that guy.” I can assure you that most aren’t. Again, where I come from 341 bodies outweights being the drone police. This is my humble opinion based on 24 years of experience. Not saying that it can’t happen.

Here is a tip: best way to never find out, don’t be an *** fly safe and enjoy!
Amen

Reactions: _supdns
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM