DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones already a problem at the Super Bowl

Interesting enough, yesterdays Tfr expired at midnight and today’s doesn’t start until 10am est, so there appears to be no current active Tfr...

Attachments

• 6ED7D78F-E348-49FD-A730-F4B0F03C2EA9.png
    6ED7D78F-E348-49FD-A730-F4B0F03C2EA9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 4A767293-EC20-43F9-B5BB-765C6A06D680.png
    4A767293-EC20-43F9-B5BB-765C6A06D680.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Wow $20,000 + fine plus FBI involved confiscation of personal property, all for just an unoriginal uninspired (and maybe even copyright protected) photo for your Instafame page.

I was on a business trip last week and had the good fortune to sit next to a young pilot who was commuting to the airport I was flying into. He was into Harley’s but we also talked about drone flying. He mentioned that newer drones all have a chip that limits altitude. However, older drones do not. Older drones are also less high-techy, so their functionality and maneuverability is more limited which potentially makes them more dangerous. I asked if he had any issues with airborne drones when flying a jet. He said no. He did mention the FAA has guidelines for drones. He believed all drone pilots needed to get an FAA license but was not positive. I’m not positive either. I suspect if a drone pilot has plans to use the drone professionally, then an FAA license may be necessary. I also learned how to get 60 free minutes of WiFi while in flight. Very worthwhile!

Reactions: Bella
There's a pattern to every airport drone report.
  • Someone calls BS on it.
  • Someone posts the ID chart.
  • "They're going to ruin the hobby for everyone." (At least this person accepts the possibility this could be a true sighting.)
  • "I doubt a pilot could see a drone doing 500 knots, especially if he's multitasking with flaps, instruments and landing gear."
  • What? No video? Someone else refuses to believe because the aforementioned multitasking pilot didn't snap a photo of the drone with his iPhone.
  • "A Mavic can't even go that high." (Forgetting there are non-DJI drones out there. And early Phantom 1 and 2 drones.)
  • And my favorite: the Conspiracy Theory. The whole thing is being fabricated with the collusion of the FAA and pilots so they can restrict drones further, (despite the FAA seeming to be relaxing drone rules.)
Am I missing any?

I'm not saying the sightings are real or imagined, but the assumptions and opinions come in before any further information or evidence. It's kind of knee-jerk, really.

Whether it's airports or sports stadiums, I never underestimate the quantity and ability of idiots, including some drone operators.

You're forgetting ... The government smoke and mirrors.. Distracting the public with srone activity so eyes are to the sky and someone just walks through security as a real threat.

There's a pattern to every airport drone report.
  • Someone calls BS on it.
  • Someone posts the ID chart.
  • "They're going to ruin the hobby for everyone." (At least this person accepts the possibility this could be a true sighting.)
  • "I doubt a pilot could see a drone doing 500 knots, especially if he's multitasking with flaps, instruments and landing gear."
  • What? No video? Someone else refuses to believe because the aforementioned multitasking pilot didn't snap a photo of the drone with his iPhone.
  • "A Mavic can't even go that high." (Forgetting there are non-DJI drones out there. And early Phantom 1 and 2 drones.)
  • And my favorite: the Conspiracy Theory. The whole thing is being fabricated with the collusion of the FAA and pilots so they can restrict drones further, (despite the FAA seeming to be relaxing drone rules.)
Am I missing any?

I'm not saying the sightings are real or imagined, but the assumptions and opinions come in before any further information or evidence. It's kind of knee-jerk, really.

Whether it's airports or sports stadiums, I never underestimate the quantity and ability of idiots, including some drone operators.

You forgot the “questioning authority” part!

Reactions: Clipper707
You're forgetting ... The government smoke and mirrors.. Distracting the public with srone activity so eyes are to the sky and someone just walks through security as a real threat.
You kind of lost me there...

That agent also has the controller in the picture. Do they have the authority to seize someone's property like that? I'm sure they will bully you and most will comply but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure. If a drone is considered an aircraft can they just seize and hold your property?

Yes, if you are using it to break the law. Can the police take a gun from an armed robber? Not even a question.

I assumed that if the guy flew the drone where is marked a NFZ and didn't even called to notify the fly. He is liable for flying in a prohibitive zone. But involving the FBI is just too much. He should have received only a fine.

Uh - I think maybe the FBI is there because the Superbowl would be a very attractive target for a terrorist so I think it's a good idea that they are there. And if they seize a few non-terrorist drones of people flying illegally - that's ok by me

Reactions: macoman
The law refers to either as the instrumentality of the crime. As such it is subject to seizure by a law enforcement officer. Whether you agree that flying the drone contrary to the law is another matter entirely

I bet those drones were flown by Recreational drone pilots who would not know where the NOTAM is published for the Super Bowl airspace.
They probably never heard of a NOTAM (manned aircraft speak for: Notice To Airmen).

Reactions: Jackcutrone
Do they have pictures of these confiscated drones? Law enforcement loves to display the type of stuff on a table for a photo op.

CBS This Morning earlier did a story on arrested drones and displayed everything on a large table from a spark to a phantom so they aren’t kidding around

Just a general comment in defense of drones. The down wash from a helicopter (assuming the helicopter is above the drone) would destroy the drone and flip it over and send it earth bound. No fixed wing aircraft are allowed under 500 feet over anything (crowds, boats, parks, etc.) and most of the time this is 1000 feet. and don't trust CNN for anything they report in the news, they just accused our Virginia governor of being an R when he is actually a D.

While a plausible theory, that same downwash could drive a drone into the windscreen, or other part, of the helicopter.

The FAA recorded 665 helicopter bird strikes in 3 years. It's not an astronomical number, but they are attributing one fatality and several injuries to the bird strikes.

The article doesn't mention how many birds were destroyed by the helicopters' downwash.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
“None of the confiscated drone pilots were Part 107 pilots” per the PhantomPilots post. Not to disparage non-certificated pilots, but why the **** would you consider flying around there at all (MBS is already a restricted area, all the time) but especially this week???

Reactions: Blaksony
“None of the confiscated drone pilots were Part 107 pilots” per the PhantomPilots post. Not to disparage non-certificated pilots, but why the **** would you consider flying around there at all (MBS is already a restricted area, all the time) but especially this week???

Simple ignorance of the law is probably the most likely explanation. Not giving a **** may also be an issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer