DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones for birdwatching"

wordzenpix

Reactions
Drones and birdwatching or photographing other shy critters doesn't seem compatible. But my Mini 2 is excellent perched near my bird feeders as a remote camera. None of my still and video cameras has enough range to do what I want. The Mini 2's range, of course, is amazing. The tape on the drone is holding a strong pair of dollar-store reading glasses in place to correct the focus for close-up. The link goes to 4k videos shot with the Mini 2 and a Panasonic G85.

Attachments

• squirrel drone.jpg
    squirrel drone.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 30
Brilliant!

but with the title in mind what about a Mavic 2 zoom perhaps? It has pan, tilt and zoom, but I'd be a bit concerned about ventilation.

Brilliant!

but with the title in mind what about a Mavic 2 zoom perhaps? It has pan, tilt and zoom, but I'd be a bit concerned about ventilation.
The M2Z has a fan so it will fair better for ventilation than the MM2. M2Z has focus too, so might not need reading glasses. But then the fan does make noise so that could scare off the critters.

Awesome, glad the little critter didn't decide to kick the drone off the platform. :)

Drones and birdwatching or photographing other shy critters doesn't seem compatible. But my Mini 2 is excellent perched near my bird feeders as a remote camera. None of my still and video cameras has enough range to do what I want. The Mini 2's range, of course, is amazing. The tape on the drone is holding a strong pair of dollar-store reading glasses in place to correct the focus for close-up. The link goes to 4k videos shot with the Mini 2 and a Panasonic G85.

For your still cameras, set up on a tripod with a remote release. Many different kinds / brands out there depending on camera make / model.

Now that is being creative. I like how you adapted the gimble camera to use the eye glasses.

That's a good one. But as someone who photos a lot of birds & wildlife, it's really not good to fly around birds. Some will attack your bird, more likely in nesting season. The birds might get goto-tilled, and you might lose your aircraft. I personally would never do it, as much as I would love to peer down into the nests that I can't see from the ground.
I've heard seagulls can be particularly fierce. But even beyond possible injury, it's REALLY bad form to stress wildlife -even without drones. I know you weren't even flying with the squirrel, so no problem there. But am just concerned that some might take inspiration from the title. Again, as much as I'd like to get the "bird's eye view", it's just not a good idea.

Did you mean drones for squirrel watching, I didn't see a bird. Just kidding.

Also, be aware that hungry squirrels will try chewing almost ANYTHING. Maybe even your beloved drone if there's enough scent on it. Squirrels chew the wood on an old owl box here. I wonder what DJI would say when you send in a half eaten gimbal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy