DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones in Portugal

annam

Reactions
Hello,

I am from the UK and I am visiting Portugal in June, hoping to fly my drone there. However when I try to register the drone the system asks for a ‘digital key’ which I do not have and don’t understand how to get.

Do any of you know how to get this or do the registration without this?

thank you!

Firstly, welcome to the forum . . .

Are you flying with professional use ?
I had a quick google to find out about this 'key'.

This site came up and for rec use you don't need a permit ?

Thank you so much for your reply! I am flying for recreational use. Does this mean I don’t need to register my drone at all?

According to that website you should be fine for recreational flying just following the rules as stated.

That said, you know the internet, don’t take what’s on it as gospel.
You should try and check further with other sources, preferably offical Portugal ones, or at least look for other sources to try and confirm.
You will very likely find posts on this forum from the past, maybe try a search on Portugal or search that local forum in regional section.

Cheers.

Hello,

I am from the UK and I am visiting Portugal in June, hoping to fly my drone there. However when I try to register the drone the system asks for a ‘digital key’ which I do not have and don’t understand how to get.

thank you!
Hi Annam,
I live here in the Algarve in the Lagoa area and have a Mavic 2 Pro.
Where will you be staying when you come here ?

Which Mavic do you have ? as the rules vary according to the size & weight of your drone.
If it's the Mavic Mini then you have no problems for social use, but still need to obey all the FAA rules.

I registered my name and address with the FAA last year but also had problems trying to find exactly where to register my 2 Pro and get a digital key.
They want you to apply for permission to fly in a particular area 5 days in advance which is not really practical as the weather and wind can change at a moments notice. Don't fly over over any houses as the owners can ring the GNR who take this seriously.

If it's the Mavic Mini then you have no problems for social use

Is this under new EU rules that may now be in force ?
If so, then some of these drone rules websites are possibly in need of urgent update.
(Must be a nightmare keeping up with all that.)

but still need to obey all the FAA rules
I registered my name and address with the FAA last year

For use in Portugal ?
Or did you visit the US ?

Portugal probably has most of the same rules as the US.

Hello,

thank you!
Check this out 2021 edition:

I'll be traveling to Portugal and can't make sense of the Digital Mobile Key either. It seems to make you choose between using a Citizen card, domestic Financial info, or being there in person. Has anyone by now figured out how to get a Digital Mobile Key as a foreigner?

Hi, Off to Madeira in Jan, tried to register as it is now required but have no idea how to get around the digital key issues. I emailed the Portuguese authorities [email protected] but have had no responses. Anyone out there know how to get registered? Thanks Steve 17 days to go...

I'll be traveling to Portugal and can't make sense of the Digital Mobile Key either. It seems to make you choose between using a Citizen card, domestic Financial info, or being there in person. Has anyone by now figured out how to get a Digital Mobile Key as a foreigner?
Hi I live in Portugal and have obtained my digital key by going to the town hall, "Camara" or their equivalent" and the clerk did it all, all I had to do is put a code into it. I know it contains all my details needed for tax purposes and other government offices, it saves going to the offices in person when my details are needed for any purpose, I think it was the ANAC who was asking for it but I am still trying to get my drone registered and obtain an official number which is needed to stick on my drone. Going quietly mad I think. Hope this helps. .

Hi, Off to Madeira in Jan, tried to register as it is now required but have no idea how to get around the digital key issues. I emailed the Portuguese authorities [email protected] but have had no responses. Anyone out there know how to get registered? Thanks Steve 17 days to go...
Hi, Hope you've had/are having a good time in Madeira. Off for our fourth visit in a couple of weeks, viruses permitting. were you able to get a key and did you do so on the island?

Firstly, welcome to the forum . . .

Are you flying with professional use ?
I had a quick google to find out about this 'key'.

This site came up and for rec use you don't need a permit ?

Keep in mind that this isn't official information from the Portuguese government; it's from a commercial company. It's not correct and current, since EU drone regulations came into effect in Portugal at the end of 2020.

The site warns the "Drone laws are constantly changing." Later on the page, it gives the last revision date for the page a June 2019.

(It was amusing to see this topic presented - Brining Your Drone On Airplanes Guide. Is there a good reason for soaking a drone in salt water.)

Here's the official regulations from the EU Aviation Safety Agency.

This site, not official, discusses additional requirements for Portugal, including insurance for drones weighing more than 900 grams.

(The first item on the google search results page isn't always the best one.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hi, Hope you've had/are having a good time in Madeira. Off for our fourth visit in a couple of weeks, viruses permitting. were you able to get a key and did you do so on the island?
Hi, I ended up having to register in an alternate eu country visited, then used that registrations to manage my flight requests in Madeira. The system is awful, remember to book each request several days in advance, once your within 3 days of a location visit it is to late.... good luck

Reactions: paulomurteira
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000