DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

eagles snatching drones - anyone lost their drone yet?

motopokep

Reactions
I saw some videos of eagles trained to destroy drones. Now I'm nervous to fly in the summer, as we do have some predators flying, not sure if they are eagles or hawks, haven't seen them up close, just on roofs and trees, and they have been known to snatch small toy-size dogs from the ground.... kinda sux to lose a $1,000 friend (and I'm starting to feel an emotional connection to Mavic aside from the $ :) to a bird

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen videos of geese attacking drones. Even saw one video of a pigeon downing a Mavic.

But I agree with what Thelightningbolt said, just watch where you're flying.

I saw some videos of eagles trained to destroy drones. Now I'm nervous to fly in the summer, as we do have some predators flying, not sure if they are eagles or hawks, haven't seen them up close, just on roofs and trees, and they have been known to snatch small toy-size dogs from the ground.... kinda sux to lose a $1,000 friend (and I'm starting to feel an emotional connection to Mavic aside from the $ :) to a bird

Moto...I have always been concerned too about flocks of seagulls...that fly in our area. Sometimes I will be flying my Pro and all of a sudden a whole mess of seagulls will fly right across the path of my drone. Made me tense up really, but I guess they are not as close to it as they appear from ground. Also there is a feral cat colony that I take care of and there’s a bunch of buzzards...scary critters. But from what I understand they are really kinda picky. Gotta be dead, ha. Yea emotional connection. We are funny people, us dronesters.

So, I don't have an EAGLE problem here in Texas, but guess what? We have a bird here that is NOT afraid to dive on a Mavic Pro sized drone. It's a large Red-Tail Hawk. They get aggressive during lean months. Yesterday, I was flying my MPP and a hawk dove on it.

I have had this happen once before. Both times the hawk seemed to realize that it wouldn't be a good idea to continue and broke off about 10-20 feet from the MPP, but they did dive on it, lol. I live out in a rural area. Anyway, that's my bird story, lol.

as long as you stay calm and be alert on where you're flying then you're perfectly fine Thumbswayup

So, I don't have an EAGLE problem here in Texas, but guess what? We have a bird here that is NOT afraid to dive on a Mavic Pro sized drone. It's a large Red-Tail Hawk. They get aggressive during lean months. Yesterday, I was flying my MPP and a hawk dove on it.

I have had this happen once before. Both times the hawk seemed to realize that it wouldn't be a good idea to continue and broke off about 10-20 feet from the MPP, but they did dive on it, lol. I live out in a rural area. Anyway, that's my bird story, lol.
Dude... birds are generally quite brave when they are defending their nests. I have seen blackbirds chase hawks away...

Funny story; a couple of years ago when I was still paragliding, one day we were flying in the Austrian Alps and made use of a landing field next to a forest. Due to the way we flew our landings, we would fly next to the edge of the forest at about 50-10m altitude. At a certain point, a friend of mine had a little falcon (wingspan 20cm tops) divebomb his glider (wingspan 8m)!!!! We were all wondering how that little falcon was able to fly with such big balls...

Dude... birds are generally quite brave when they are defending their nests. I have seen blackbirds chase hawks away...

Funny story; a couple of years ago when I was still paragliding, one day we were flying in the Austrian Alps and made use of a landing field next to a forest. Due to the way we flew our landings, we would fly next to the edge of the forest at about 50-10m altitude. At a certain point, a friend of mine had a little falcon (wingspan 20cm tops) divebomb his glider (wingspan 8m)!!!! We were all wondering how that little falcon was able to fly with such big balls...
the little falcon was a savage...

Reactions: JoostGT3
Motopokep, i also live in Texas and wondered where you are flying from? I am down in central texas.

Motopokep, i also live in Texas and wondered where you are flying from? I am down in central texas.
Sorry I took so long to answer, lol. Been slammed at work. North Texas (North of Greenville, TX). Lots of hawks in this area.

We have falcons in this area and I admit that as a new pilot the concern has crossed my mind. On my first flight yesterday there was a small bird that kept buzzing my Mavic until I landed for a while.

Reactions: JoBri
We have falcons in this area and I admit that as a new pilot the concern has crossed my mind. On my first flight yesterday there was a small bird that kept buzzing my Mavic until I landed for a while.
You should be alert at these times. You don't wanna see your drone ending up hatching eggs :D

Reactions: JoBri
i hope there's some type of device that could easily scare the birds away...

I was at my Father in laws farm and the barn swallows attacked my drone. Knocked it right out of the sky with a couple of dive attacks. I guess I flew too close to the barn for their liking.

Reactions: ryanolivas

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr