DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EASA and Austrian Drone Regulations Question

PHZ

Reactions
I am planning a trip from the US to Germany, then Austria in two weeks. From the EASA regs, if I use a drone sub-250g, I only need to register with the NAA of the first country I fly in.

While reading the Austrian regs, it appears that if I fly ANY drone with a camera, commercial use or not, I must pay an annual fee for a permit of approx 330 Euro. Can anyone familiar with Austrian rules confirm or deny this?

If this is true, I will leave the Mini 3 in my cart, and leave the "flying camera" behind.

I've asked a friend from the village I used to live in, when I lived in Austria. If he gets back to me, I'll let you know what he says. There are several members here who live in Austria that may get back to you before I do. If you've never been to Austria, you will think you died and went to heaven. What area in Austria will you be visiting?

Pretty much all over Austria, from Innsbruck to Liebnitz, Salzburg, Vienna, Hallstatt, over to Bertchesgaden and Spielberg for the F-1 race in July. This is my fourth time in Austria over twenty three years. I love Austria. I even learned some Deutsch in case I get to some of the smaller towns where English is less common. My son went to school for a while in Vienna, visiting the Nachsmarkt frequently for kabobs. I went with him several times. I picked up a Mini 2 today after getting registered as a drone pilot with Austro Control. Can’t wait for the Mini 3 till the end of July.
I can hardly wait.
Thank you so much for your assistance.

If you are driving and I assume you will be, then do yourself a favour and when you leave Innsbruck to go to Salzburg, stop off at the Ziller valley entrance and take the drive up the mountain to Pertisau. There is a beautiful lake up there and stunning views of the mountains all around it. You can even jump on a large boat and take a tour around the lake. The views driving back down to the Inn Valley are stunning too.

When you get to the valley bottom again, drive straight across to the valley you see opposite and take a drive up the Ziller Valley to Mayrhofen about 30kms, which is the village I lived in for years. Also, take the drive up the Hohen Strasses and again ask where that is, it's a small toll charge but immensely worth it. In fact, there are so many stunning valleys to drive up from Mayrhofen, you could spend two days there easily. Also take the cable car ride to the top of the Ahorn mountain from Mayrhofen and walk to the back valley just minutes and you will see stunning views to photograph. Take a look at my video on Vimeo, the first scenes are from the Ziller Valley and the Ahorn. Search for the video "Austria, Wales, Ohio" and have a watch.

Another great drive is up the Ginzling valley from Mayrhofen, you will get some amazing places to film. I could tell you of loads of places because I lived in Salzburg for years too. Out that way in fact, do visit Hallstatt. Ohhh, and when in Mayrhofen have lunch or dinner at a beautiful 230+ year old restaurant at the end of the village called.. "Zum Griener". It has great food as well as a beautiful place to be in. Ask where it is because it is not readily visible so is one of those great out of the way places. If you would like a contact name and number when in Mayrhofen, send me a PM and I'll give you the contact of another long time friend who lives there and he can point you to all the places I just mentioned and sooo many more.

In Zell am Ziller, which is about ten minutes drive time from Mayrhofen back down the valley, take the time to stop to ride their summer rodel bahn, that too is well worth it and a fun thing to film if you have a GoPro. In fact if you take that cable car by the rodel bahn, up the mountain, that too will give you superb views of the region and some great filming opportunities. I still have not heard back from my friend, I'm hoping he is not on holiday, but at least take a look here for some official information for Austrian flying: dronespace.at die Austro Control Drohnenplattform - Dronespace

Wish I was going with you, I really miss living in that country, it is soooo stunning.

Last edited:
If you are driving and I assume you will be, then do yourself a favour and when you leave Innsbruck to go to Salzburg, stop off at the Ziller valley entrance and take the drive up the mountain to Pertisau. There is a beautiful lake up there and stunning views of the mountains all around it. You can even jump on a large boat and take a tour around the lake. The views driving back down to the Inn Valley are stunning too.

When you get to the valley bottom again, drive straight across to the valley you see opposite and take a drive up the Ziller Valley to Mayrhofen about 30kms, which is the village I lived in for years. Also, take the drive up the Hohen Strasses and again ask where that is, it's a small toll charge but immensely worth it. In fact, there are so many stunning valleys to drive up from Mayrhofen, you could spend two days there easily. Also take the cable car ride to the top of the Ahorn mountain from Mayrhofen and walk to the back valley just minutes and you will see stunning views to photograph. Take a look at my video on Vimeo, the first scenes are from the Ziller Valley and the Ahorn. Search for the video "Austria, Wales, Ohio" and have a watch.

Another great drive is up the Ginzling valley from Mayrhofen, you will get some amazing places to film. I could tell you of loads of places because I lived in Salzburg for years too. Out that way in fact, do visit Hallstatt. Ohhh, and when in Mayrhofen have lunch or dinner at a beautiful 230+ year old restaurant at the end of the village called.. "Zum Griener". It has great food as well as a beautiful place to be in. Ask where it is because it is not readily visible so is one of those great out of the way places. If you would like a contact name and number when in Mayrhofen, send me a PM and I'll give you the contact of another long time friend who lives there and he can point you to all the places I just mentioned and sooo many more.

In Zell am Ziller, which is about ten minutes drive time from Mayrhofen back down the valley, take the time to stop to ride their summer rodel bahn, that too is well worth it and a fun thing to film if you have a GoPro. In fact if you take that cable car by the rodel bahn, up the mountain, that too will give you superb views of the region and some great filming opportunities. I still have not heard back from my friend, I'm hoping he is not on holiday, but at least take a look here for some official information for Austrian flying: dronespace.at die Austro Control Drohnenplattform - Dronespace

Wish I was going with you, I really miss living in that country, it is soooo stunning.
Wow! Thank you! This is better than a Rick Steeves show. I appreciate all the tips and recommendations on where to fly. I wish I had about two more weeks, but all the more reason to return.
Your location is posted as Ohio. I lived in Ohio, between Dayton and Cincinnati for four years and have visited Toledo and Cleveland many times. It's not like Austria. I will post my photos/videos up when I get back. I will be using a new Mini 2, and not my Mavic 2 Pro, so I hope I am not too disappointed with the results. Also bringing a Sony a6400, which does a terrific job with its 18 - 135 mm lens.

Wow! Thank you! This is better than a Rick Steeves show. I appreciate all the tips and recommendations on where to fly. I wish I had about two more weeks, but all the more reason to return.
Your location is posted as Ohio. I lived in Ohio, between Dayton and Cincinnati for four years and have visited Toledo and Cleveland many times. It's not like Austria. I will post my photos/videos up when I get back. I will be using a new Mini 2, and not my Mavic 2 Pro, so I hope I am not too disappointed with the results. Also bringing a Sony a6400, which does a terrific job with its 18 - 135 mm lens.
Funny, I lived in Minnesota as well. Three years in Oakdale, I was a flight instructor there in summer and ski instructor at Afton Alps in winter. We live in Lakewood, right next to (west of) Cleveland but I'm British, from Wales. If you are ever this way, get in touch, we have a drone friendly park right on the lake. I have a Mavic 2 Pro but the shots I did on the Vimeo video were with my original Mavic Pro. If you want to have a chat before you go, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom