DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ECI guy from Northern Ohio

ECI Air

Reactions
Hello everyone, I'm David from Northern Ohio. I'm an evening and weekend Professional Photographer and shoot most Sports, Dramatic Sports Portraits and Seniors. I shoot many levels of athletics from peewee to pro's. I got interested in drones about 7 years ago. I pick up a DJI Phantom 3, but didn't fly it enough and sold it. I then bought a Mavic 2, flew it, found out I would need a license, if I wanted to make money. And I'm not great at passing test, so I sold it. I found a place to learn the rules and regulations and what I needed to know to pass the exam (Pilot Institute). So I picked up another one, ended up selling that one to friend who had a license. He ended up loosing connection of Lake Erie and drone went for a swim.

I purchased a Air2s last year, I passed my test 90%, am licensed and try to fly every week. I'm still searching for my niche in drone business. I'd love to get more sports shots with it, but with rules and regulations, its a challenge, not impossible.

I'm 53 years young, married, have step kids and step grandkids, full time job is a heavy highway construction surveyor. I shoot High School and semi-pro sports thru out the year. For editing the photos its lightroom, for video I used Davinci Resolve. I'm still learning this software, some days its fun, other days its fustrating.

Hello from the Crossroads of America ECI Air.

Nice to meet you David. 🤝

ended up selling that one to friend who had a license. He ended up loosing connection of Lake Erie and drone went for a swim.

We have a vendor here that sells wetsuits and life jackets for drones.

He's from Northern Ohio as well and I think he does his test flights on Lake Erie.

Tell him you're a MavicPilots member for a possible deal on the products.

For editing the photos its lightroom, for video I used Davinci Resolve.

I have seen discussions frequently on this site and maybe you can pick up some tips by using the search engine.

Good luck with your future flights and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

For some unknown reason, I'm more comfortable over the lake then land. I'm hoping to get out a bit today, the city is tearing down a power plant and I have been getting video and images for the last month. Hope to put it together tonight. I, personally, am gonna be really busy thru the month of May, shooting the USFL and moving, to get out and get more updates on this project.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hello everyone, I'm David from Northern Ohio. I'm an evening and weekend Professional Photographer and shoot most Sports, Dramatic Sports Portraits and Seniors. I shoot many levels of athletics from peewee to pro's. I got interested in drones about 7 years ago. I pick up a DJI Phantom 3, but didn't fly it enough and sold it. I then bought a Mavic 2, flew it, found out I would need a license, if I wanted to make money. And I'm not great at passing test, so I sold it. I found a place to learn the rules and regulations and what I needed to know to pass the exam (Pilot Institute). So I picked up another one, ended up selling that one to friend who had a license. He ended up loosing connection of Lake Erie and drone went for a swim.

I purchased a Air2s last year, I passed my test 90%, am licensed and try to fly every week. I'm still searching for my niche in drone business. I'd love to get more sports shots with it, but with rules and regulations, its a challenge, not impossible.

I'm 53 years young, married, have step kids and step grandkids, full time job is a heavy highway construction surveyor. I shoot High School and semi-pro sports thru out the year. For editing the photos its lightroom, for video I used Davinci Resolve. I'm still learning this software, some days its fun, other days its fustrating.

Hey David!

I grew up in Akron & Mentor Ohio. I have a lot of family still in Mentor and Painesville. I’ve been in Tennessee since I graduated high school, but I’m still an Ohio sports fan.

I also fly the Air2S. I love it! I was a hobbyist for a while, but bought the drone launch academy course, and passed my part 107.

I’m in between full-time careers, but have been shooting real estate and doing video tours across the country for senior living facilities lately. I’ve shot some commercial real estate and some residential. From what I’ve read, real estate might not be the biggest bang for your buck as a drone pilot, but it seems to be the niche I know best, having some experience in construction and I know a lot of agents and builders.

I’m learning that in the real estate game getting connected with property developers and builders is more lucrative than agents. I’ve done some land surveys for property developers. I shot a few commercial building projects. I’ve gotten connected with a local builder that is happy with our work and wants to continue to use us.

I just resigned as a children’s pastor after 14 years at a church. At my age, we felt it best to step down and to pursue other career options while I’m still young enough to establish myself on a new career/ ministry path. During Covid shut down our church had to start doing a lot of video work. We filmed what we called “WestmoreKids now online”.

Instead of filming us doing the same thing we do Sunday mornings in person on a stage, we made it like a web series. A friend of mine who is the COO of a senior living facility company saw our work and needed some video work to communicate to employees and their communities around the country because they lost their video production team due to Covid. So we begin filming for them. This relationship with them and video work through COVID opened the door to begin filming video tours of the senior living facilities around the country.

I’m not doing enough to consider it full-time yet, but there is some potential there while I’m navigating career transition. Hopefully my story helps you figure out your niche. Basically, think about what you know and are interested in, who you’re connected to, and needs in your area. Perhaps the answers to these questions will help you narrow down your niche.

Be blessed!

Chris Knipp

Hey David!

I grew up in Akron & Mentor Ohio. I have a lot of family still in Mentor and Painesville. I’ve been in Tennessee since I graduated high school, but I’m still an Ohio sports fan.

I also fly the Air2S. I love it! I was a hobbyist for a while, but bought the drone launch academy course, and passed my part 107.

I’m in between full-time careers, but have been shooting real estate and doing video tours across the country for senior living facilities lately. I’ve shot some commercial real estate and some residential. From what I’ve read, real estate might not be the biggest bang for your buck as a drone pilot, but it seems to be the niche I know best, having some experience in construction and I know a lot of agents and builders.

I’m learning that in the real estate game getting connected with property developers and builders is more lucrative than agents. I’ve done some land surveys for property developers. I shot a few commercial building projects. I’ve gotten connected with a local builder that is happy with our work and wants to continue to use us.

I just resigned as a children’s pastor after 14 years at a church. At my age, we felt it best to step down and to pursue other career options while I’m still young enough to establish myself on a new career/ ministry path. During Covid shut down our church had to start doing a lot of video work. We filmed what we called “WestmoreKids now online”.

Instead of filming us doing the same thing we do Sunday mornings in person on a stage, we made it like a web series. A friend of mine who is the COO of a senior living facility company saw our work and needed some video work to communicate to employees and their communities around the country because they lost their video production team due to Covid. So we begin filming for them. This relationship with them and video work through COVID opened the door to begin filming video tours of the senior living facilities around the country.

I’m not doing enough to consider it full-time yet, but there is some potential there while I’m navigating career transition. Hopefully my story helps you figure out your niche. Basically, think about what you know and are interested in, who you’re connected to, and needs in your area. Perhaps the answers to these questions will help you narrow down your niche.

Be blessed!

Chris Knipp
Good morning Chris,

Thank you for your story, it does inspire me, I have an option that I have been working on, that since going back to full time job, I haven't spent time pursueing. It could be a great part time income. Next time you are up this way, lets get together for a coffee and fly. Downtown Cleveland has a lot of possibilities. I'll be in touch.

God Bless!

Welcome to the forum David. I too am a photographer and I'm British but now live in northern Ohio. I went to drones from standard still photography, but I stuck with them. Never got Part 107 because I didn't need it and the few occasions I had the opportunity, a friend that is 107 would accompany me. Don't know if you knew that was possible. You don't have to have a 107, just someone in attendance to a job needs to have it, and you are legal.

I live in Lakewood and am married with two children and our local park is drone friendly. If you like, I'd be happy to meet up with you anytime and fly here or somewhere else. I am associated with the Northern Ohio Drone Alliance, and we have several flying meet ups a year. In fact, yesterday, Saturday, was one in Parma. I believe the next one might be at Top o' The Ledges, that is another one of the few places that drones are allowed to fly in the Metro Parks.

PM me if you'd care to meet up sometime soon. You will gain lots of knowledge here about everything drones including editing. Like you, I'm fine editing photos, I use Photoshop, One1 and Topaz but I am just learning editing and I also use DaVinci Resolve. Look forward to hearing from you.

For some unknown reason, I'm more comfortable over the lake then land. I'm hoping to get out a bit today, the city is tearing down a power plant and I have been getting video and images for the last month. Hope to put it together tonight. I, personally, am gonna be really busy thru the month of May, shooting the USFL and moving, to get out and get more updates on this project.
Would that Power Plant be the one in Avon? I've shot a bit there too, if it is.DJI_0961websize.jpgDJI_0960websize.jpg

I purchased a Air2s last year, I passed my test 90%, am licensed and try to fly every week. I'm still searching for my niche in drone business. I'm not great at passing tests...

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I cannot help you find your niche, that has a lot to do with your preferences, likes and dislikes, skills and talents…

You might be the Ansel Adams of or school portraits and sporting events, but not have an eye for Real Estate Photography or Construction. But you can learn, Since you are licensed, you might want to approach various Drone Photography/Video companies and see if they might take you on as an Intern, for the learning experience, they get Free Ground Crew labor and your get training…

Many local colleges offer drone classes, beyond the basics (as you already have your Part 107 -- BTW, I am also a PI Alumni…). I also went to my local community college and took their courses in Drone Maintenance and Repair and the Aero Photogrammetry Course.

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Air 2S, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

do.gif

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S