DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Software help needed

Falco747

Reactions
Secured a 107 certificate last week through work. I'm a distribution Lineman, been in the trade for 27 years and the opportunity presented itself to fly drones inspecting right of ways, power lines, substations and any other activity with the company that presents itself in the near future. I have 3 projects on my computer that I've done on my own that I'd like to edit for 2 companies and 1 for a friend. I've looked at several free editing programs but the need to pay for the premium functions is needed. I don't mind spending some bucks but, I'd like to get it right the first time. Need to overlay music, vocals, fonts etc. What software are you using??

Reactions: Roy Rogers
Davinci Resolve 16 Free version can do all of that and is a very powerful option. I'm learning it right now and there are tons of You Tube videos that explain how to use it as a beginner. Check out some of Casey Faris tutorials on You Tube. He does a great job showing and explaining in simple to understand guidance.

Secured a 107 certificate last week through work. I'm a distribution Lineman, been in the trade for 27 years and the opportunity presented itself to fly drones inspecting right of ways, power lines, substations and any other activity with the company that presents itself in the near future. I have 3 projects on my computer that I've done on my own that I'd like to edit for 2 companies and 1 for a friend. I've looked at several free editing programs but the need to pay for the premium functions is needed. I don't mind spending some bucks but, I'd like to get it right the first time. Need to overlay music, vocals, fonts etc. What software are you using??

DaVinci Resolve is a good one but you can trial the other big name ones and see which one seems the most intuitive to you. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

DaVinci Resolve: free and powerful but takes forever to render.

Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects: Gold standard easiest to get help with if you need it. Comes in Adobe Creative cloud do you also get Photoshop/Lightroom and a host of other pro apps. Most expensive but you get way more than the other options. After Effects is an fx program and will enable you to do a lot of stuff you can’t do with Resolve but steeper learning curve. $49.99 per month for Adobe Creative Cloud Suite.

Final Cut Pro X (Mac only) Is by far the fastest to render, cleanest, simplest design and most intuitive (assuming you are a Mac user which you’d have to be to use it). Lacks some of the fine control the other two have but that can be a good thing or a bad thing. Has some fx ability like After Effects, not to the same degree but some. $299 1-time purchase.

The two paid options offer trial periods for free. Final Cut Pro offers a 30 day trial which is nice

Reactions: Falco747
Video Pad - video editor is one that is simple to get to grips with, if you can get a free trial it could be worth a look.

Movie maker pro is very easy to learn and does everything you listed . It has a free version but the Full version is only 10 bucks.
If your going to be make videos often you should try OpenShot video editor It is free and very powerful but unlike DaVinci Resolve, its not too hard to learn. Good luck and if you find a editor that's just amazing let me know Thumbswayup

Movie maker pro is very easy to learn and does everything you listed . It has a free version but the Full version is only 10 bucks.
If your going to be make videos often you should try OpenShot video editor It is free and very powerful but unlike DaVinci Resolve, its not too hard to learn. Good luck and if you find a editor that's just amazing let me know Thumbswayup
Thank you RoyRogers. I wanted to try Davinci but my Mac OS is a little out of date to run it. iMovie just isn't cutting it for me anymore. OpenShot seems to be able to run on my machine and I'll try it out this weekend.

I started out with Adobe Premier RUSH but soon found that it had limitations so purchased a subscription to Adobe Premier Pro - it's the Gold Standard for video editing - highly recommend it - expect an extended learning curve but well worth it! Lots of YouTube videos to get you started.

HitFilm Express is great and free. Some paid effects but plenty free to keep you happy. Highly recommend

After researching most of everyone's suggestions and the suggestions of the apps, I purchased a computer that should handle processing above and beyond the call. Thanks everyone!! Y'all are the bomb!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk