DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

editing your recordings

rsummers87

Reactions
anyone have experience with good edit programs for making movies with your drone? i was told a few in the past but didnt have much luck. im operating on a older HP computer i dont know if i need a newer computer to run these programs or if i can just go buy/download one somewhere. i want the whole 9 yards be able to edit and add music. thanks

Definitely upgrade your computer and either get Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere

i would prefer to getting a laptop that way i can pretty upload videos anywhere. do you recommend having the newest windows version or faster processor? that part of the technology im not to familiar with.

If you are editing 4K it's demanding and will take a while particularly at the export (render) stage.
A mid-range laptop will be able to do it but a few minutes of footage might take hours to render out.
You want to search for photo/video editing computers. Good ones are not cheap.
You need a fast processor, good video card and plenty of RAM
The operating system is less important but in Windows it will be W10 now anyway.

If you are OK with using mainly 1080p it's a whole lot easier.
Generally if your camera can record 4K you may as well do that even if the final video is downsized it will be potentially better quality.
There is the somewhat overlooked 2.7K setting which gives you a compromise between more manageable files and higher resolution

Premier pro is pretty well the standard and has all the bells and whistles, it does work better with a beefier pc though.
I have used cyberlink powerdirector and it is also ok

Really? Already TONS of threads about this. What could be added this time I wonder (not).
It turns out that everybody just loves the software he/she is happening to be using. Matter of taste, OS, 'religion', experience, pro or consumer, free or priced, subscribed or one time fee. There's no single answer for everybody.

Reactions: Kilrah
It turns out that everybody just loves the software he/she is happening to be using.

Except for those of us who have used several different programs and can speak with experience on them.

If you have an iPad Pro you can deal very easily with 4K video. By far the best editing app is LumaFusion. It leaves everything else in the dust.

If you want to stick with a Windows laptop, you’ll want a reasonably fast processor and a lot of RAM, but the graphics card is really important. A lot of video editing programs can take advantage of multiple cores on better cards. Look for a laptop that’s geared either toward video editing or gaming, which also call for good cards.

For software, my preference now is for Adobe Premiere Pro. DaVinci Resolve is also very good. Both have a bit of a learning curve, but nothing that can’t be conquered with a few YouTube tutorials.

I also used to Like Sony Vegas, but it was bought by another company a couple of years ago and seems to be suffering.

If you want to get a Mac, there’s iMovie, but I find it to be too dumbed down. Final Cut Pro or Premiere would be better choices. I’m not sure whether DaVinci Resolve is available for Mac, but I think it might be.

Except for those of us who have used several different programs and can speak with experience on them.

If you have an iPad Pro you can deal very easily with 4K video. By far the best editing app is LumaFusion. It leaves everything else in the dust.

If you want to stick with a Windows laptop, you’ll want a reasonably fast processor and a lot of RAM, but the graphics card is really important. A lot of video editing programs can take advantage of multiple cores on better cards. Look for a laptop that’s geared either toward video editing or gaming, which also call for good cards.

For software, my preference now is for Adobe Premiere Pro. DaVinci Resolve is also very good. Both have a bit of a learning curve, but nothing that can’t be conquered with a few YouTube tutorials.

I also used to Like Sony Vegas, but it was bought by another company a couple of years ago and seems to be suffering.

If you want to get a Mac, there’s iMovie, but I find it to be too dumbed down. Final Cut Pro or Premiere would be better choices. I’m not sure whether DaVinci Resolve is available for Mac, but I think it might be.
You prove my point exactly. Everybody wants to have his own opinion vented, exactly like in a previous thread and the one before that.
I'm a Mac, Windows and Linux user. Resolve runs on all three by the way. I have experience with FCPro, iMovie, Resolve (from 11.x to 15.x), Premiere Pro (subscription per year), Microsoft Moviemaker, GoPro Studio, Power Director. Where possible I tried them on different OS platforms.
I found Resolve on Windows the best solution for me. But there's no reason to say this or that is the best. It's only opinion and taste. Power Director is quite easy to use. For Mac FCP is great, so is iMovie (simpler but same GUI feel as FCPro). I spent years to figure out myself what works best for me. Nobody could tell me what was the best because there's no such thing as the best. There's a choice from free, expensive, cheap, pro, consumer, simple, complicated, modular, integrated etc.
A friend of mine uses Premiere Pro and he's religious about it. I tried it extensively on Mac and Windows. Was not for me. But many people love it.

I use LumaFusion on my iPad Pro 10,5" with Apple Pencil for editing all my video content.
Couldn't be happier with this solution, so flexible and no need to carry around a bulky laptop when traveling.

But if I would edit at home only I would probably get a powerful desktop Mac (or PC) and probably Final Cut Pro.

Reactions: mrreddog
DaVinci Resolve is also very good. Both have a bit of a learning curve,

Navy by any chance?

I used Google to search for DaVinci Resolve free & kept coming up blank. changed search argument and found a DL link for the free version but it turned out to be Filmora, I DL and used it to do what I needed then it said free for 10 days. Much later I found a DL link for Resolve FREE.

Your thoughts please

One thing to bear in mind is video editing involve huge datasets. The best NLE's (non-linear editors) all do rendering in the background allowing you to keep your project moving. Interestingly, performance is affected more by storage media than the computer. If you get serious about video editing you will need to invest in an external RAID array. This is because video files are huge and NLE's leave the data of the external drive and "link" to the external data.

use proxy footage for editing [emoji327]

you can take your footage and create low quality "proxy" footage to create your edit, the software will then use your proxy footage to render a 4k file for you.

this will also allow your footage to be easier to transport in the editing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom