DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Eerie View of an Abandoned Nuclear Plant

rickmurray1989

Reactions
Disclaimer... this is an old photo from 7 years ago and it was not taken by a Mavic 3, instead, it was taken by one of my old DJI Phantom 3 Pros. It is a black and white rendering of an image taken of the site of the TVA Hartsville, TN nuclear plant, which was abandoned prior to completion in 1984. I have always thought that there was something eerie about the remains of the unfinished construction. This spring, I intend to revisit the site with my Mini 3 Pro...
DJI_0059-Edit-S.jpg

B/W images have a special place in my heart!

Me, too. I cut my photographic teeth using Kodak Tri-X and Panotomic-X back in the late 60s and early 70s.
My first camera was the Pentex K-1000. A very long time ago lol

I started with a 35mm camera my Dad bought while stationed in Korea 1953/54. It had a viewfinder and all settings were manual. It really taught you the relationship between film speed, f-stop, shutter speed , and depth of field. That was the summer between 6th and 7th grade.

Did all of my own developing and printing. By the time I graduated high school I started using a Minolta XD-11, and doing my own color slides, negatives, and prints.

I have to say digital photography sure beats the hours spent in the darkroom.

A lot of similar stories. Mine was an Argus C3 willed from my grandfather. The fully manual adjustments were the hook for me.

Really great Rick. I am just getting into photography again after 30 or so years and find it fascinating. I have always found the black and whites interesting with the shadowing and sharp lines that I see in them. Thank you for sharing sir!

Disclaimer... this is an old photo from 7 years ago and it was not taken by a Mavic 3, instead, it was taken by one of my old DJI Phantom 3 Pros. It is a black and white rendering of an image taken of the site of the TVA Hartsville, TN nuclear plant, which was abandoned prior to completion in 1984. I have always thought that there was something eerie about the remains of the unfinished construction. This spring, I intend to revisit the site with my Mini 3 Pro...
View attachment 159656
I remember that place I worked there for a couple weeks on some equipment when they were tearing it down. They told us that they knew it would never be finished when they started building it and at the height of construction there were around 10,000 workers there. Also got to drive around in the cooling tower at the top of picture.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
Holy cow. I got out in ‘87 and worked on the Rancho Seco plant outside of Sacramento. It had been put out to the crews that the plant would never be finished either. I found it all rather sad. Then I went back in in ‘89 and never heard much about it after that.

Ha, ha. A lot of seasoned photographers in this group. I bought a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic in 1966. My sister still has it. I loved that camera and still do. Shot mostly Tri-X for the high school newspaper and yearbook. I had a Hasselblad in 1974, for a while, but soon realized a whole system was beyond my reach. (Apologies to Richard Avedon).

I started with a 35mm camera my Dad bought while stationed in Korea 1953/54. It had a viewfinder and all settings were manual. It really taught you the relationship between film speed, f-stop, shutter speed , and depth of field. That was the summer between 6th and 7th grade.

Did all of my own developing and printing. By the time I graduated high school I started using a Minolta XD-11, and doing my own color slides, negatives, and prints.

I have to say digital photography sure beats the hours spent in the darkroom.
It beats the hours, the uncertainty of knowing if you got a must have shot (I shot for the local newspaper) and the smell of the chemicals. :)

View attachment 159656
This is definitely an excellent image, with a great range of white to black tones. I am old enough to have used a dark room for many years, developing TriX and printing these images to bring out great details in the highs a lows. You have certainly captured these details with this image. It is also well composed with a leading line to the main tower.

Dale
Miami

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400