DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Embarrassed to fly.

As a generally self-concious person myself, I do understand where you're coming from.
What I have found-out, though, at least with respect to drones, is that the more I fly the more I gain confidence... it really is that simple.

• Love
Reactions: c64-dev
Its probably the fear of possibly doing something wrong while you're being watched.

I have flown next to folks that can't wait to show me their new bird but are too terrified to fly it. Was hoping that watching me would give them confidence but.... Anyways these new small drones are so quiet and unobtrusive that they rarely draw much attention. I'm only using my Phantoms for fishing over the ocean anymore, just too big and loud but have the power needed to haul bait. No one cares. "Just do it", enjoy!
PS: Mark your drone, FAA # and ph # and practice "find my drone", it works.

I've had similar feelings, I think it's partly to do with the bad press drones had a while back and the thought people are looking at you disapprovingly. I'm one it now.

I've had similar feelings, I think it's in part due to the bad press, drones attracted a while back, and the thought that people are looking at you disapprovingly.
I'm over it now.

Its probably the fear of possibly doing something wrong while you're being watched.
I think that is part of it in my case....but also lurking in the back of my mind is, "why is this adult playing with a toy?" But then I tell myself, "because it is challenging and fun!".

Wow! Once again, thanks everyone for all the replies. It makes me feel so much better, knowing that there's a lot of others out there with similar feelings when out flying their drones.Having said that, this afternoon was the first time I took the brand spanking new M2 out for a spin. I must say it was absolutely nerve-racking!

I went to a mountain side very close to my house, where there is a monastery and a big parking lot. Some cars parked around but not many people there. A tiny bit breezy, about 10 miles or so, but nothing that the M2 can't handle and otherwise a very nice, warm afternoon.
It should be dead easy; I only had to take the bird up, fly straight, hover, do a return. I had seen dozens of YT videos; I had noted all the proper techniques, and all the things that I should not do. I had it all down pat. Right? Wrong!

Forget about being embarrassed to fly; as soon as the drone was in the air everything just went out the window and all I could think was "ohsh!t ohsh!t ohsh!t ohsh!t don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash".?

The little beast flew perfectly, shrugging off the wind and hovering perfectly still in the sky, as if saying to me "I can do so much more that you can right now buddy!"

However, there is one thing I want to ask and please don't laugh: when I was going through the pre-flight IMU calibration etc, I had the drone on a small flat ledge and as I was waiting for it to finish calibrating a tiny little ant casually crawled on the Mini and happily went inside through one of the arm joints to the body. A few seconds later I saw an ant walking on the nose of the aircraft (which may have been the same little critter). I tossed it away and when I went back home I had a good look inside, even trying to shake the drone gently with the battery door open, but there doesn't seem to be something in there. I know I shouldn't be worried but I can't help it. Do you think I should just forget the whole thing? Could it do some damage in there? I really don't want to do a full tear-down to appease my OCD. ?

Lol, from one nervous issue to the next :)
You'll settle into it after some more flights.

I thought you were talking M2 firstly when I read your reply, not Mini2.
Not sure how the Mini2 handles wind compared to the original Mini, but it's good you are aware to watch the wind with that bird.

As I was on the side of a mountain I didn't want the drone going up another 50-60 meters to the preset altitude to return to home,

It won't go higher than it's RTH altitude above the take off point, if / when RTH is activated (or kicks in low battery).
If higher on the mountain, it will either go up if not yet at the return alt set, OR if higher than the take off point + RTH setting, it will stay at the height it is at.

Remember that, if it's windy, you should bring the Mini2 down as you descend, else it might get into higher wind than necessary.

I would actually fly it home most times, rather than use RTH.
Manual RTH to help you sure, watching the height above ground as it comes back, drop as needed if higher as described above.
I wouldn't trust RTH low battery in some of the flying you are describing though, unless going out against the wind, for a return home with the wind.

All the best with the nerves and the continued learning curve.

Oh . . .

tiny little ant

Unless there were two suitable candidates and they can preproduce, you should be ok.
Keep an eye out for little trails of ants coming and going to your Mini2, if that happens, some AntRid overnight near the trail should fix it.
Seriously, it probably hitched a ride for a while then disembarked, or otherwise left the 'building' at some point.

Last edited:
Leave the mini on the shelf with a chocolate biscuit. (Cookie).
He'll come out for a nibble where you can catch him and let him go.

:)

Hahaha! That's actually a pretty good idea! ? I should probably leave out a small mug of warm milk while I'm at it. Wouldn't want the ant to think we are not hospitable...

Reactions: keat63

If the OP can't catch it, he may eventually end up with a software bug. ;)

On a more serious question: when I took off yesterday, the Fly app showed a notice that I was near a enhanced warning area or something like that, and offered the option to either unlock it or cancel the warning. Since I was keeping the drone literally a few meters off the ground and right in front of me, I dismissed the notice. (Please don't bash the newbie)
I think the notice was mentioning something about the drone landing automatically of a pilot cancels the warning or something like that?

Can the drone decide to land on its own in certain such conditions when the pilots doesn't proceed with the unlocking procedure? If you do proceed to unlock, do you need an internet connection? Here in Greece there are plenty of places where a net connection would not be available. Then what?

On a more serious question: when I took off yesterday, the Fly app showed a notice that I was near a enhanced warning area or something like that, and offered the option to either unlock it or cancel the warning. Since I was keeping the drone literally a few meters off the ground and right in front of me, I dismissed the notice. (Please don't bash the newbie)
I think the notice was mentioning something about the drone landing automatically of a pilot cancels the warning or something like that?

Can the drone decide to land on its own in certain such conditions when the pilots doesn't proceed with the unlocking procedure? If you do proceed to unlock, do you need an internet connection? Here in Greece there are plenty of places where a net connection would not be available. Then what?
You can unlock at home in advance given you know where you will be flying the next day(s).....the unlock has an expiration date.

I bought a used Mavic, and deep inside the Go4 app, I see two license files for the area from which I purchased it.
Considering the GO4 app is installed on my phone, and i've never been to the area concerened, this info must either be in the Mavic or held by serial number with DJI.
I believe it's called GEO fencing and designed to stop you flying it over the runway of an airport etc.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I have been flying for all most four years now, Still do not like to fly around people. I have a friend that uses his drone for inspecting roofs etc, he has not had a accident in 4 years on the job. One day little boy was watching him fly, and he started showing off in front of the little guy. And, forgot about a heavy tree limb above him, and crashed the drone. Totaled the drone, had to explain to his employer how he did it. Case in point, people can distract your concentration when flying the bird.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke