DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Erratic behavior sometimes

rscheff

Reactions
I received a Mavic Pro from someone that crashed it and the camera is just dangling. The drone flies but it flies erratically and not always. I was thinking of replacing the gimbal housing (the camera is fine) but is it worth it if something else is wrong? The collision sensor does not seem to work because when I put my hand in front of it nothing happens. Do the sensors rely on the camera? When it starts to fly crazy the back light flashes red and I get a quick msg. about attitude and GPS. I have rarely lost GPS when flying the Mini 1 and the Mini 2, but when I do it just hovers and if lost too long it activates RTH. This thing flys all over, up, down, left right, in circles, just completely crazy. Does this sound like something serious and expensive to fix? The Drone is 5 years old so in drone age that's a lifetime. Any one have some ideas?

Not something I would put in the air. Too risky.
No, the camera itself has nothing to do with the sensors.
Without knowing what damage is inside, hard guess as to whether it’s cost effective to repair.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Unless you can find the reason and fix it I would not fly that drone, if it goes crazy at the wrong time and in the wrong place you could be in serious trouble.

With regards to
I have rarely lost GPS when flying the Mini 1 and the Mini 2, but when I do it just hovers and if lost too long it activates RTH.
you might want to check that, GPS is a prerequisite for RTH since the drone needs to know where it is before it can calculate the path home.

Did you by any chance mean control signal?

When you crash a mavic Pro with enough force ( not Much) to dislodge the gimble you can be 80% sure that the board that controls the camera, Gimble, and front sensors is also toast. Do not fly it. I would say without looking at it you need a new Gimble board ( $200) plus go ahead and trash the cables that are on it ($20.00). The camera works but what about the Gimble motor? I would think it is toast also ($ 80-$100) there will be a few more things that might have to be replaced show me some pics. All and all you are looking at around $ 400 bucks to do it yourself ( Gimble Repairs aren't cheap). for someone to fix it for you ? I would think at least $ 500

There are kits for about $200 ? that are complete camera, gimbal, ctrl board and cables. There are videos on how to do it. Sensors are separate devices and might tie into the ctrl board-can't remember. To have someone else do it, yeah, 300-500. Some places will only replace what's needed, others will shotgun.

There are kits for about $200 ? that are complete camera, gimbal, ctrl board and cables. There are videos on how to do it. Sensors are separate devices and might tie into the ctrl board-can't remember. To have someone else do it, yeah, 300-500. Some places will only replace what's needed, others will shotgun.

No $200 is for the board and board only. Replacing the The gimble will double that ( without camera) and the front sensors are also attached to this board via a cable, best to replace the front sensor module as well as the board. A sensor Module will run you around 20 bucks. Now you may be able to find a deal on these parts but you will have to shop around.

I never received any response so I never answered. I just coincidentally was coming on forum to ask Why the Mini 2 gets constant weak signal, adjust antennas, but has no antenna so how do you adjust? It is happening at 300 feet and 3 or 4 times in a 10 minute flight.

As far as the Pro situation I decided it is not worth fixing. I know the gimbas is gone, it is cracked right off the base and one rubber band broken and the GPS unit is probably fried, it's 8 years old so retirement is due.

I received a Mavic Pro from someone that crashed it and the camera is just dangling. The drone flies but it flies erratically and not always. I was thinking of replacing the gimbal housing (the camera is fine) but is it worth it if something else is wrong? The collision sensor does not seem to work because when I put my hand in front of it nothing happens. Do the sensors rely on the camera? When it starts to fly crazy the back light flashes red and I get a quick msg. about attitude and GPS. I have rarely lost GPS when flying the Mini 1 and the Mini 2, but when I do it just hovers and if lost too long it activates RTH. This thing flys all over, up, down, left right, in circles, just completely crazy. Does this sound like something serious and expensive to fix? The Drone is 5 years old so in drone age that's a lifetime. Any one have some ideas?
I had similar erratic behavior , it was suggested to do a factory reset , after which it seems fine but with some broken bits , I would be careful how and when you fly.

I tried to epoxy the gimbal back in but it did not hold plus one of the rubber bands is broken. The camera is still good so I just cut the whole thing out and was just trying to see if it would fly. The previous owner crashed it pretty bad and was going to throw it out. I initially thought it was only 2 years old but I put the serial number in the system and it is 8 years old. So now not only is the gimbal gone but I think he damaged the GPS unit. I tried the reset and it flew ok for about a minute or two and then went completely out of control. I did it in a big field and I was able to land it but not without a problem. It was extremely difficult to control, at one point I thought I was going to have to duck.

A similar thing happened to me years ago with my Mini. I had set up a simple orbit, had 92% battery, the craft went off about 100 feet away and 90 feet high. Out of the blue I got the fast beeping and notice that craft was making an emergency landing. unfortunately it looked like it was landing in a group of people. I had a heck of a time getting it back and stopping it from crashing but I did get it to land. All the flight records were checked and no one not even DJI could explain what happened. They sent me a new drone. I have had my fair amount of crashes, 3 in all, one was a crow attack, but I was able to glue them all back together. It's the ones with the internal problems that I had no luck fixing. In 3 years I have had 7 Mini's, all replaced under warranty or DJI Care. One drone would not even lift off, just said electrical error and that was right out of the box. I finally went for 2 years without an issue, and still going, when I insisted on a NEW drone, not a reconditioned one. Sometimes it pays to be insistent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne