DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Even if you could... Would you?

db4476

Reactions
He flies his Mini 2 in a storm with gusts up to 90mph reaching a speed over 100mph then loses the drone. Would you even attempt that?

Flying in a Storm

Cheers!

Well that was different, felt sorry for the drone. Thanks for sharing.
Regards

Reactions: db4476
I believe the drone concerned had its firmware hacked and may have been a DIY repaired drone, possibly using Blue Peter's "sticky backed plastic" and glue.
I wouldn't and didn't put any drone up in storm Eunice, and that includes Mavic 2's, let alone a Mini 2.
The flight was idiotic.

What I find disturbing is that DJI seem to be honouring the flyaway insurance.

Last edited:
Looks like a classic case of "Look at me! Look at me!"

It seems that losing a $350 drone is a reasonable price for a little attention via Youtube likes and comments.

Reactions: Archer
Looks like a classic case of "Look at me! Look at me!"

It seems that losing a $350 drone is a reasonable price for a little attention via Youtube likes and comments.
$350, if only. More like $580 approx. at current rates of exchange. £419!

Suicide run,sorry for the loss ,,poor mini,,out there all alone thinking about its comfortable case,,
That some wind though and I bet wind speed at 400ft would have been a one way ticket
No I would not fly,,

Depends. What was the reason? Was the financial impact meaningful, or was the individual wealthy enough that in the cost/benefit analysis, worth it?

Haven't watched the video. Assuming there was no safety issue, I would do it if the footage was more valuable to me than replacing the drone, $349 from Rotorlogic on Amazon.

People are very diverse. What is a shocking waste to one is simply part of the cost to successfully achieve an objective to someone else.

You can replace it. That opens up a lot of otherwise completely off the table possibilities.

Reactions: merak75
$350, if only. More like $580 approx. at current rates of exchange. £419!
The fellow who lost his drone still had the controller and the other things in the full-price kit. You can get just a Mini 2 without extras on Amazon for $350. About £253?

Even at only $350, it's too expensive for me to ridiculously high risk flights.

Depends. What was the reason? Was the financial impact meaningful, or was the individual wealthy enough that in the cost/benefit analysis, worth it?

Haven't watched the video. Assuming there was no safety issue, I would do it if the footage was more valuable to me than replacing the drone, $349 from Rotorlogic on Amazon.

People are very diverse. What is a shocking waste to one is simply part of the cost to successfully achieve an objective to someone else.

You can replace it. That opens up a lot of otherwise completely off the table possibilities.

But, there is a safety issue. That drone came down somewhere.

As someone raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression, I have a hard time being profligate with resources. I can afford to throw aluminum cans into the trash, but I don't. As someone mentioned in another thread recently, just because you can doesn't mean you should. But everyone makes their own decisions.

I believe that particular flight and video are more about attention and ego than about a measured economic cost/benefit analysis.

(You can really tell when the weather is too bad to fly in many places. We're all here talking about relatively unimportant things, aren't we?)

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
But, there is a safety issue. That drone came down somewhere.

As someone raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression, I have a hard time being profligate with resources. I can afford to throw aluminum cans into the trash, but I don't. As someone mentioned in another thread recently, just because you can doesn't mean you should. But everyone makes their own decisions.
Drone coming down is not a safety issue. Coming down in an unplanned area is a safety issue.

I'm very much like you in this regard. For me personally, I would never judge the cost/benefit to be worth it. Not by a lightyear.

OTOH, I'm not 25 years old trying to break into the drone videography business (speculative example) . Planning a flight like this so it's safe enough (no flight is 100% safe, every flight entails accepting some amount of risk), and the repair/ replacement cost of the aircraft is part of the cost of promotion, I can totally understand the sacrifice, and wouldn't discourage it.

Why should i?

I believe that particular flight and video are more about attention and ego than about a measured economic cost/benefit analysis.
I agree 110%.

So are many, many drone videos posted here by others. What's the harm in that?

I'll bet you too have an ego, and like to get admiration from others too. You just have different priorities, risk acceptance, etc., so you show off in other ways. Regardless, we ALL show off in some ways in our lives, seeking wow and cool from others.

Critize how the flight was carried out, as it might have a negative impact on others. Questioning and then disparaging innocuous motives is like criticizing someone for their favorite flavor of ice cream.

Drone coming down is not a safety issue. Coming down in an unplanned area is a safety issue.
Not to belabor the point, but flying in gale- or hurricane- force winds with 90 mph gusts probably means that one doesn't have full, or even reasonable, power to select the landing site.

Given the fact that the pilot stated he returned to the site multiple times to search indicates to me that he was not planning this as a sacrificial flight. Given the fact that he launched in those conditions indicates to me that he either didn't understand his craft's capabilities or he thought he'd get lucky (or "it won't happen to me") and get away with the flight. Either way, it was a pretty dumb thing to do.

Not to belabor the point, but flying in gale- or hurricane- force winds with 90 mph gusts probably means that one doesn't have full, or even reasonable, power to select the landing site.
Agreed.

Depending on where it's being uncontrollably blown by the wind, it may not be an issue.

Good afternoon to all-
I do believe that people should have as much freedom and right to choose their actions as they can possibly handle responsibly. I also do believe that each person should take responsibility for their actions.

And I do believe flying ANY drone in conditions such as seen in this video in question is just simply (Mod Removed Language) I guess if the individual doing the video has the money to throw away like this, then he can do it. But I still think he's (Mod Removed Language)for doing it.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we call another member "dumb as hell" because we disagree with them, or does that not violate rule #2? Seems kinda insulting.

I am sincerely not sure of the answer 🤔

Was the OP the Youtube channel owner ?
Not sure if it is, if so he's showing his age well.

This channel has lots of drone videos, so I guess the flight was up to him, he knew exactly what was going to happen.
Slightly outdated Air2, lots of hits on his channel, flying very country so a flyaway probably wouldn't be too much of an issue.
Was not hearing the gentleman in the video, but watching the left stick up until just under 400' yes he was expecting to lose it.

Last edited:
Reactions: waltermitty
Is clickbait to gain new users for his youtube channel. He has only 259 subscribers. This is a really cheap way to do it since probably he has a DJI refresh and the flyaway of a DJI mini 2 is very inexpensive when you compare for example the flyaway of a Mavic 3 is $800. I believe the DJI Mini 2 is like $139 the flyaway if I am not mistaken.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86