DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Even if you could... Would you?

Was the OP the Youtube channel owner ?
Not sure, if it is, if so he's showing his age well.

This channel has lots of drone videos, so I guess the flight was up to him, he knew exactly what was going to happen.
Slightly outdated Air2, lots of hits on his channel, flying very country so a flyaway probably wouldn't be too much of an issue.
Was not hearing the gentleman in the video, but watching the left stick up until just under 400' yes he was expecting to lose it.
Lol, no not me or my channel.

Cheers!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lol, no not me or my channel.

Cheers!

I figured that was the case, just the post above mine asked if it was ok to insult a member violating forum rule #2.
Was clearing up it that this was just a reposted video.

Pity it came up as just a link, and not the preview window played directly on the forum, each click to YT does give them hits . . . not sure if views on the forum window itself give a hit ??

Can we call another member (Mod Removed Language) because we disagree with them, or does that not violate rule #2? Seems kinda insulting.

I am sincerely not sure of the answer 🤔
The OP wasn't the poster of the YouTube video, so I suppose (Mod Removed Language )was aimed outside the forum and not at a member.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I wouldn't. I don't fly I'd there's a breeze in the first place. I just don't like it. Mine can handle it just fine but it burns battery life. Also it drifts a tiny bit and it makes me uncomfortable.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I might fly....I might not. At issue is the motivation and justification for such a flight under similar conditions. Consider that a well made video posted on YT can generate thousands of dollars, the argument against doing the same for a few hundred dollar drone is silly as the income generated would be a profit maker. If DJI engineers flew similarly as a test flight to determine the critical limits or performance of the Mini 2 under extreme conditions the flight would be welcomed and deemed a destructive test. So the OP's question is somewhat rhetorical unless it seeks to nudge those of us with normal lives and consumer minded, budgeted pocketbooks.

Also on YT this last month was a gentleman who purposely blew up a $10k rifle to see what would happen. Stupid sounding, right? But the backstory yielded much more than idiocy and YT clicks. The guy nearly died from a rifle accident mishap a year back. He recovered and was probably trying to find out how rifles (he destructively tested 2 different rifles) would perform under extreme conditions such as those he experienced in his accident.

"OMY, he blew up a $10k rifle....what an idiot!" many claimed. The guy probably generated 100x more in YT income as well as toning down potential lawsuits against the rifle manufacture (some might argue, millions of dollars).

In the case of this Mini 2, I can't imagine why I would try to launch under similar wx conditions. Then again, if the purpose or job being undertaken justified the flight, sure.

Reactions: EpicFlight
“No absolutely not, it's unfortunately the sort of stupidity youtube encourages these days to get clicks.”

Darn, I thought he said “CHICKS”

Reactions: waltermitty
I use to tell my kids not to put anything in black or white that could back at you but now you can make videos.
Got to love the term "click bait" because it is every where.

The fellow who lost his drone still had the controller and the other things in the full-price kit. You can get just a Mini 2 without extras on Amazon for $350. About £253?

Even at only $350, it's too expensive for me to ridiculously high risk flights.
You are correct re the cost, I stand corrected. Didn't know you culd buy the Mini 2 on it's own from Amazon.

This guy is an ab solute MORON !!! There was nothing safe nor legal about this flight. He knew he wouldn't have control. There was no reasonable expectation of control, only forced landing or flyaway. I hate seeing irresponsible drone pilots doing stupid things. Unfortunately for this hobby...people wil pay/pay attention s to stupid stuff...a prime example was the series and movies 'Jackass'.
I don't think hobby needs this negative attention...just my opinion.

People will sacrifice a lot of money to get views, I'm not going to mention the name and get the video any more clicks but there was a guy a couple of months ago who deliberately* crashed a plane.

* He claims otherwise but it seems highly likely it was intentional

People will sacrifice a lot of money to get views, I'm not going to mention the name and get the video any more clicks but there was a guy a couple of months ago who deliberately* crashed a plane.

* He claims otherwise but it seems highly likely it was intentional
Yes, that was obviously an orchestrated stunt, done just to capture the video. He deserved to have his license pulled.

I'm continually puzzled about why people are so eager to watch and get so caught up in false, showy drama.

What I'm very surprised about is it stayed within a 10 foot window of altitude (390-399) for a long distance at high speed. With horizontal winds like that I'd expect updrafts that the drone could not compensate for within that narrow vertical window.

What I'm very surprised about is it stayed within a 10 foot window of altitude (390-399) for a long distance at high speed. With horizontal winds like that I'd expect updrafts that the drone could not compensate for within that narrow vertical window.
That's a good catch.

Yes, that was obviously an orchestrated stunt, done just to capture the video. He deserved to have his license pulled.
Why?
I'm continually puzzled about why people are so eager to watch and get so caught up in false, showy drama.
I strongly suspect you have keen interests and passions that others can't understand your devotion to, or the sums of money you spend.

So what? Does their different interests mean it's puzzling that you like what you like?

Do you suppose there are people who are shocked at what you're spent on your drone hobby? Do you have more than one? Why do you need more than one drone?

See where this sort of thinking goes...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86