DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Example of Placing a Virtual Car into Drone Footage and using the spherical panorama feature to create lighting and reflections.

cgmaxed

Reactions
This footage was taken by a Mav Air 2. I used camera tracking software to create a virtual camera and scene, then imported the video and camera tracking data into a 3d software program. I added the Rolls Royce (looks a little fake), but I'm still learning. I used the spherical panorama to create an invisible HDRI sphere around the car, that reflects the actual scenery and lighting that would be there, if a real car was there. I should have done color and other post processing of the video to help better match the look of the car to the video, but this is just an example.

Very cool & looking pretty good!

I’m a little confused about the scaling of the car; or maybe it’s the scaling of the HDRI. It appears that the car gets bigger, or, the scene gets smaller as the shot progresses beyond 0:19 or so. It looks like the gravel in front of the car is bigger at the start than at the end. Maybe.

(Edit - this section was previously based on my incorrect reading that a 360 was used)
The closer elements you reveal in the shot the wonkier scaling gets. I think the wide angle shots tend to overstate changes in distance, which mostly isn’t a problem until you composite a real 3D model.
(End edit)

Can you change your virtual camera to have a wider field of view to compensate?

For all that this looks very good! And, the image-based lighting is working really well!

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Very cool & looking pretty good!

I’m a little confused about the scaling of the car; or maybe it’s the scaling of the HDRI. It appears that the car gets bigger, or, the scene gets smaller as the shot progresses beyond 0:19 or so. It looks like the gravel in front of the car is bigger at the start than at the end. Maybe.

(Edit - this section was previously based on my incorrect reading that a 360 was used)
The closer elements you reveal in the shot the wonkier scaling gets. I think the wide angle shots tend to overstate changes in distance, which mostly isn’t a problem until you composite a real 3D model.
(End edit)

Can you change your virtual camera to have a wider field of view to compensate?

For all that this looks very good! And, the image-based lighting is working really well!
I noticed that too. I think I didn't enter the correct focal length or distance to lens and cmos sensor and size exactly correct. It deformed the camera solve a bit. I probably needed more parallax and allowed the software to do an auto estimation of the correct values. It takes so long to process, I just didn't have the patience to start over.

Thanks for your comments. You have motivated me to try again. This time I'll put boxes where the car will be. This will allow the software to create a better camera solve. I need it to camera match the drone's path exactly, and reproduce the lens data more accurately, especially if I'm making a shot where I get close to the object and then move further away.

I like it.... still a bit of work before it looks professional but still about 50 times better than I could do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid