DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Expanded Controlled Airspace

ScottTX

Reactions
When I went to fly my drone this morning, I discovered via the B4UFLY program, that the local community park that I regularly fly at, is now in Controlled Airspace. For today, I moved to another location that was unrestricted.

I also saw that I would be able to "Notify & Fly" at up to 300 feet.

As I have before now never attempted to Notify & Fly in Controlled Airspace, can some give me a quick rundown or point me to how this works?

The B4UFLY app is controlled by Aloft. When you're in controlled airspace you will need to get LAANC approval. When you click on the Notify and Fly button in the B4UFLY app, it will take you to the Aloft app to apply for the LAANC approval.

Reactions: twickers14
The B4UFLY app is controlled by Aloft. When you're in controlled airspace you will need to get LAANC approval. When you click on the Notify and Fly button in the B4UFLY app, it will take you to the Aloft app to apply for the LAANC approval.
Thanks! - What is the time interval between applying for approval & getting it/being able to fly?

Thanks Again - RCing since the late 1970's - Have not flow in Controlled Airspace yet. :)

Thanks Again - RCing since the late 1970's - Have not flow in Controlled Airspace yet. :)
Just so I know what to expect, you basically tell them you want to fly during such & such time period?

Just so I know what to expect, you basically tell them you want to fly during such & such time period?
Yes, and the altitude. If it has a 300' limit, then that's all you can get approved.

As a recreational pilot, once you get the text message to your phone, you are good to fly:

Actually, HQZ (Mesquite Metro Airport) has been in operation since 1976. It's been Class D controlled since then to my knowledge.

And you can still fly there (assuming it's not a 0' AGL Grid) by simply getting LAANC approval. Download the AirControl app and set up a free account. It takes seconds to get approval as long as you're flying in a grid of 50' or more.

Also, based on your confusion about airspace (it isn't restricted airspace, just controlled airspace), you may not have taken your TRUST. If not, I suggest you go to trust.pilotinstitute.com and do that. It is required.z

That will explain the differences in airspace classifications and when or where you can fly.

The arear that I was discussing is Forney Community park. The expanded controlled area just happened, it previously only went to just outside of the border of this park.

Sorry, I didn't mean to use the word the word unrestricted, I meant to say uncontrolled.

I took/passed my TRUST test on 1-18-22, before I even 1st flew my Air 2. :)

When I went to fly my drone this morning, I discovered via the B4UFLY program, that the local community park that I regularly fly at, is now in Controlled Airspace. For today, I moved to another location that was unrestricted.

I also saw that I would be able to "Notify & Fly" at up to 300 feet.

As I have before now never attempted to Notify & Fly in Controlled Airspace, can some give me a quick rundown or point me to how this works?
Notify and Fly is a separate thing from LAANC that just shows that your drone is in the air in a certain location. You still need LAANC authorization to fly in controlled airspace.

Screenshot_20230910_120314_B4UFLY[1].jpg

Reactions: Vic Moss
Understood :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13