DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exposed wire, Antenna?

Blue Cord Drones

Reactions
Greetings, I checked my drone after a flight, and I came across an issue right front landing arm. It looks like something was rubbing so much that it melted away the plastic on the landing arm and exposed a wire ( antenna?)—this is exactly what I would say if I were reading this post. I can guarantee that nothing was rubbing on the landing arm at any time? The drone has worked flawlessly, and I always put it in a secure box after the flight. With that being said, I can't figure what H... happened to my drone? I always check my drone after flights. I may have missed this last check, but I still can’t explained what the heck happen?
Never crashed, always try to land in my hand, nothing attched to it.

I can't figure out what happen; any advice would be excellent.

P.S. probably shouldn't say never crashed, MURPHY.

Thanks, Dan.B28DCD2E-E247-4FA3-9D74-251A9CAD6513.jpegB28DCD2E-E247-4FA3-9D74-251A9CAD6513.jpeg96D1A99E-D55A-46ED-B660-660736A86A66.jpeg8AA54F08-D49E-44DB-82B2-B44BD15A1E5A.jpeg5713A0A5-5661-4881-8DDB-F79641765377.jpeg3729BDB8-3178-4A51-A4B8-E3BE37CBD249.jpeg96D1A99E-D55A-46ED-B660-660736A86A66.jpeg8AA54F08-D49E-44DB-82B2-B44BD15A1E5A.jpeg5713A0A5-5661-4881-8DDB-F79641765377.jpeg3729BDB8-3178-4A51-A4B8-E3BE37CBD249.jpeg

Any chance it was a hot glue gun because it was melted, , its thinner on one side .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on water.

It's not just the burn/abrasion marks, it's also cracked. Something happened there.

There are two wires (or two pair, I forget) that go down into that foot, one for the LED and one for an antenna. You can get a replacement foot from ebay for very little money (but a few weeks wait), but you will have to do some plastic surgery to get the LED light out/in without soldering. The antenna just slips in and out (no rocket surgery required).

Chris

Reactions: Dawnvt
to me it kinda looks like the front leg folded back and the rear prop hit it? any prop damage on the rear prop on same side??

attached pic is my Mavic 2 with front arm folded back and you can see where the rear prop matches the same contact area yours is damaged

Attachments

• 192166385_304184397856796_6511229414524123308_n.jpg
    192166385_304184397856796_6511229414524123308_n.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
It's not just the burn/abrasion marks, it's also cracked. Something happened there.

There are two wires (or two pair, I forget) that go down into that foot, one for the LED and one for an antenna. You can get a replacement foot from ebay for very little money (but a few weeks wait), but you will have to do some plastic surgery to get the LED light out/in without soldering. The antenna just slips in and out (no rocket surgery required).

Chris
I got my legs off Amazon in two days with prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L61C59L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting!

Greetings, I checked my drone after a flight, and I came across an issue right front landing arm. It looks like something was rubbing so much that it melted away the plastic on the landing arm and exposed a wire ( antenna?)—this is exactly what I would say if I were reading this post. I can guarantee that nothing was rubbing on the landing arm at any time? The drone has worked flawlessly, and I always put it in a secure box after the flight. With that being said, I can't figure what H... happened to my drone? I always check my drone after flights. I may have missed this last check, but I still can’t explained what the heck happen?
Never crashed, always try to land in my hand, nothing attched to it.

I can't figure out what happen; any advice would be excellent.

P.S. probably shouldn't say never crashed, MURPHY.

Thanks, Dan.View attachment 129583View attachment 129583View attachment 129584View attachment 129585View attachment 129586View attachment 129587View attachment 129584View attachment 129585View attachment 129586View attachment 129587
If that piece of yellow plastic is not a wire, it looks like the edge of the antenna , in the leg. I've taken my Mavic 2 Leg apart. In my case it was a yellow fiberglass rectangle with a wire entering the top center of the antenna. If your not having any transmission or reception issues, I would simply use epoxy or hot melt glue gun to seal the crack and groove in the leg. I've done this to my drones that have had their legs crack for one reason or another. It worked fine.

Bird strike? But it looks like a Pellet from a pellet gun may have hit it! It’s rounded and a pellet would produce the heat necessary to create the melting.

Reactions: Rich QR
Bird strike? But it looks like a Pellet from a pellet gun may have hit it! It’s rounded and a pellet would produce the heat necessary to create the melting.
INTERESTING thought! Definitely a 'swiping' pattern and a pellet gun hit makes sense.

Ah, a pellet gun shot sounds like the best explanation so far, cracked the case, but hot enough to melt and push material like that. Or even just a bullet.

those saying pellet. look at the wound track and direction of material its moving from body to outter edge. a pellet shot would be going the other direction. and being perfectly level the drone would need to be way low to even be shot that way

those saying pellet. look at the wound track and direction of material its moving from body to outter edge. a pellet shot would be going the other direction. and being perfectly level the drone would need to be way low to even be shot that way

Ok a .22 can travel more than a mile. That exactly looks like what a projectile hit would look like. I first thought about a rock or meteor but all that seems obsurd, os i came up with pellet. Maybe a .22 pellet. Maybe a .22 rimfire. That would explain the further damage of the cracking. We slso are assuming the desciption of the op in that he has taken good care. So whats your thought? I think it is clear it is an impact damage. What could do that? Todays possible pellet guns could eaisly do that damage in that they have velosities over what a rimfire has! Again, whats your thoughts?

I agree...the angle is wrong for a pellet unless the drone was REALLY low. low or high I’d expect possible damage to the rear arm or propeller as well. There also are marks on the motor body aligned the same direction as the deeper groove. What made those marks?

It looks like a rub mark to me.
Something spinning rubbing with pressure to crack the arm.
Is the drone transported in a case all the time?

I agree...the angle is wrong for a pellet unless the drone was REALLY low. low or high I’d expect possible damage to the rear arm or propeller as well. There also are marks on the motor body aligned the same direction as the deeper groove. What made those marks?
thats why in post #5 i mentioned maybe the arm folded back. see the pic i attached his damage lines up pefectly with the rear prop spinning and hitting.
but none of use will ever know for certain, all we can do is guess

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan