DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extreme newb scared to fly mavic

I just opened the link in a new safari window and it went right there and started playing.

2d578629b132de4037d071b56750ae88.jpg

Ah, i just copied that link to a chrome window and it is indeed locked. I guess its because i never closed the window in safari that im still able to view it.
Sorry, my fault. I suspect that when i close that window, it will be locked again. I watched the whole thing and i think it would be worth paying for if its not a crazy price.

Oh thats not exactly cheap but it appears you can view the info from the trial membership and can cancel without being charged.

Will I be charged during my free trial?No, you won't be charged during your free trial which begins today, and ends on August 06, 2017. You can cancel anytime before August 07, 2017 to avoid being charged.
How can I cancel during my free trial?We make it easy for you to cancel online. Just look for the link on your account + billing page or contact us at 1-888-33-LYNDA
What happens after the free trial period?You'll automatically be charged your plan's rate on the 07th of every month unless you decide to cancel your account.
Will I get updates from Lynda?We'll share new courses, recommended content and special offers with you by email. You can update your email preferences at any time.

I have had my mavic for a few days now and finally took it out in the back yard to see if i could just take off, move around a little and then land it.
Beginner mode ? √
GPS locked on 15 √
Scared the crap out of me ? √
Almost crashed it on maiden voyage? √
Had to check underwear after landing and prop shut down √
Scared to do it again ? √√√√√√√√√

:D Pages of excellent advice here. What did help me was just getting out in an open field and play. Do the figure eight thing until you see it in your sleep... adjusting altitude up and down as you go. Once muscle memory kicks in with the RC you'll start to feel that creamy feeling in your underwear fade away. Took me a while to let 'er loose up to max altitude. That gets easier with time, and trust, as well. Although, I ain't gonna lie.. still gets my anxiety fired up when she's way up there and far away.

Oh thats not exactly cheap but it appears you can view the info from the trial membership and can cancel without being charged.

Will I be charged during my free trial?No, you won't be charged during your free trial which begins today, and ends on August 06, 2017. You can cancel anytime before August 07, 2017 to avoid being charged.
How can I cancel during my free trial?We make it easy for you to cancel online. Just look for the link on your account + billing page or contact us at 1-888-33-LYNDA
What happens after the free trial period?You'll automatically be charged your plan's rate on the 07th of every month unless you decide to cancel your account.
Will I get updates from Lynda?We'll share new courses, recommended content and special offers with you by email. You can update your email preferences at any time.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I can access Lynda.com content for free through my local library. They have a portal to the Lynda.com site, and I can log in with my library card number and pin. Lots of great content on a wide variety of topics. Good stuff!

There is, but it hinder the true performance of the MP a wee bit.
Take it to an open fields in B mode for a few flights until you learn to control it.
Familiarize your self to the app display/usage (icons) on your phone/device.
Baby steps @ 1st until you develop confidence.
Read the manual and watch tutorials on YouTube on "how to's and setups etc".
Pretty soon you'll be up there confident w/ your flying.
GOOD LUCK!

The setting in the app is not for prop guards but the "caged" prop guards. No need to change any settings when using the open prop guards.

Tri-pod mode. It's slow but use it - steady as a rock (when locked onto gps).

around the corner of the big garage out of my sight and landed it on the deck of an equipment trailer via the ipad view ( kinda scary still ). but the garage is metal and i had an interference error after landing and it stopped me from taking off from the deck of that trailer
You admitted a few days ago to being unable to fly due to your lack of drone experience. A lot of folks have provided good tips here and I'm sure you found a wealth of good videos on youtube. You are an IT tech, so you should know the limits of wifi/radio transmissions. The GPS, the compass and the sensors work together to keep the mavic flying and aid you in that respect. I wouldn't have flown it around a metal building that could potentially block radio signal and then land on a metal trailer. You were just lucky. You are asking for a crash. Stay clear of the large metal objects, in fact stay away from concrete that might have rebar in it. Your radio works best line-of-sight. You can fly out of sight visually, but controller and bird should have a clear path between them. The GPS needs a clear unobstructed view of sky and some might say there is a potential for bounced signals when you are too close to metal buildings/trees etc. Don't take off under trees unless you have set RTH accordingly. If you lose signal it will go straight up to whatever altitude is set and fly a course directly back to where it took off and then land, so obstructions defeat that auto-safety feature. Make sure you set RTH altitude to clear the highest object it has to fly over to return home. As others have said you might want to get a cheap drone and learn to fly it. It will help you save your $1000 drone someday when you have to fly manually.
I had the double led stay on with my battery. I made sure it was charged, flew it to 30% and when I charged it next time it was fine.

I have had my mavic for a few days now and finally took it out in the back yard to see if i could just take off, move around a little and then land it.
Beginner mode ? √
GPS locked on 15 √
Scared the crap out of me ? √
Almost crashed it on maiden voyage? √
Had to check underwear after landing and prop shut down √
Scared to do it again ? √√√√√√√√√

I have the flight record if anyone is willing to look at it and tell me what im doing wrong.
Im sure i probably should have not hit RTH but then i did manage to cancel it so i could take control. I have NO IDEA how i managed to keep it out of a BIG tree in the back yard after hitting RTH. I just got lucky.

This is my first drone and i clearly have no clue what im doing.
I also have prop guards on it if that may be causing any issues.
What i really need is a flying teacher as its clear im in trouble.
Problem may = 59 year old man with 20 year olds drone . That all equals trouble. Especially as a newb.
I am 63..... have wanted a quadcopter for several years now. I bought a Mavic a couple of weeks ago and it has yet to leave the ground bacause the app will not open on my phone. DJI chat sent me a link that will fix the problem...... the link refuses to open..... DJI then tells me it must be my phone and said my Galaxy J3 is not compatible.
G to the phone store to see if they carry any of the compatible devices listed on DJI website, the cheapest of the available devices was a $400 mini i-pad 4 !
What choice do i have ? Reluctantly i purchased it and guess what ? ..... The app still freezes and will not connect !
Contact DJI for the 9th time and they now say sorry, but there is nothing we can do but perhaps i should try another device !!!
$1300 Mavic
$400. Tablet
Sitting on shelf as parerweights !

You may be a nervous wreck, but at least you can fly yours.

I am 63..... have wanted a quadcopter for several years now. I bought a Mavic a couple of weeks ago and it has yet to leave the ground bacause the app will not open on my phone. DJI chat sent me a link that will fix the problem...... the link refuses to open..... DJI then tells me it must be my phone and said my Galaxy J3 is not compatible.
G to the phone store to see if they carry any of the compatible devices listed on DJI website, the cheapest of the available devices was a $400 mini i-pad 4 !
What choice do i have ? Reluctantly i purchased it and guess what ? ..... The app still freezes and will not connect !
Contact DJI for the 9th time and they now say sorry, but there is nothing we can do but perhaps i should try another device !!!
$1300 Mavic
$400. Tablet
Sitting on shelf as parerweights !

You may be a nervous wreck, but at least you can fly yours.

Did you install the latest OS on the ipad?

when i came back in the house with it, i did not feel like i just had fun.
i felt like i may have made a mistake thinking that i could do this.
the stick left / right being opposite of what actually happens is really disorientating.
Alos, i never once looked at the ipad mini until i saw that i was in trouble and needed to do something to get it back on the ground.
Probably the same feeling when you first started driving a car...practice, patience and time required so keep at it

I've been on this forum for months and I too am worried about pulling the trigger due to the issues _week_ _after_ _week_ _after_ _week_. At first I assuaged myself by saying, "I'll just wait until the goggles come out...", then "I'll just wait until the first hand experiences for the goggles come out...". Now, I'll rationalize it to, "I'll just wait for 2.0 to come out".

Me scared...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3