DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA and follow me mode

Mark Rowan

Reactions
This is a copy of my post at InspirePilots forum.

FAA UAS regulations for recreational hobbyist and commercial pilots requires that the PIC (pilot in charge) must operate the aircraft in line of sight. This basically means that using a follow me or tracking mode would not be allowed.
However the PIC can allow another pilot to control the UAS while under his supervision/control so perhaps somehow the follow me or tracking modes could "legally" be used.
Any opinions, ideas, comments or interpretations of this topic is welcome.
Here is an example :
I want to fly in a local park (drones are still permitted as of this post) and I have in this flight my Mavic Pro track me at say 12 feet above ground and follow behind me while I walk the trails. To comply with the FAA I must maintain the UAS in my line of sight...so do I walk back words in this case.
I also plan to fly from my boat.etc.

As far as using from a boat (or moving vehicle such as from back of pickup truck) not an issue since someone else will operate the boat (or vehicle) and I can be free to keep drone in line of sight.

Reactions: dholy1
You are fine if you can see it in the sky, even if you look away. As long as you can relocate it when you look back up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada