DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Approves DJI To Authorize Customer Flights In Controlled Airspace

Scary to think that a little over a year ago, the US Army ordered its members to stop using drones made by DJI because of “cyber vulnerabilities” in the products. Now the FAA is giving DJI the keys to the kingdom by allowing them to instantly authorize flights into NFZ's.

Now the FAA is giving DJI the keys to the kingdom by allowing them to instantly authorize flights into NFZ's.
From the article:

"DJI now has the ability to allow enterprise customers and other professional users to use their DJI accounts to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals while planning their flights"

It looks like you're the one who really has the keys to the kingdom now. DJI is just making it super easy for you to communicate with LAANC. It's a huge win for everyone.

That's a game changer.....
Created in Airmap, a few minutes later...
:Automated FAA Controlled Airspace authorization accepted for flight with confirmation number #########.
Please fly in accordance with Part 107 rules and regulations.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Scary to think that a little over a year ago, the US Army ordered its members to stop using drones made by DJI because of “cyber vulnerabilities” in the products. Now the FAA is giving DJI the keys to the kingdom by allowing them to instantly authorize flights into NFZ's.
The military also banned FitBit watches and those sort of things because they were pointing out our locations and troop concentrations.

so i have been looking at the evo as a alternative to the mp. is dji going to have a say in where other brands can and cant fly? we want the truth,,, oh no not that truth,, the one we want. seems like a really bad idea to me.

Reactions: Former Member
so i have been looking at the evo as a alternative to the mp. is dji going to have a say in where other brands can and cant fly?
No. DJI is not going to have a say for their aircraft either. All that has changed is DJI GO will soon be able to communicate with LAANC. This article explains the facts in more detail.

so i have been looking at the evo as a alternative to the mp. is dji going to have a say in where other brands can and cant fly? we want the truth,,, oh no not that truth,, the one we want. seems like a really bad idea to me.

Excellent question. I think the FAA integration might be embedded in the DJI Go 4 app, so the answer might be no.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Does this mean we would no longer have to call airports?

This system is for authorization of Part 107 flights. Calling the airport is a Part 101 (recreational) requirement. That may change with the repeal of Section 336 but for now this mechanism doesn't apply to recreational flights.

From the article:

"DJI now has the ability to allow enterprise customers and other professional users to use their DJI accounts to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals while planning their flights"

It looks like you're the one who really has the keys to the kingdom now. DJI is just making it super easy for you to communicate with LAANC. It's a huge win for everyone.

It looks pretty good to me. Will it be easier to find lost drones also?

But there must be some kind of new data if they are going to monitor the drone?

The LAANC system doesn't monitor drones - it simply allows Part 107 pilots to apply for and receive authorization to fly in controlled airspace. Potentially that can now happen in the GO app.

The LAANC system doesn't monitor drones - it simply allows Part 107 pilots to apply for and receive authorization to fly in controlled airspace. Potentially that can now happen in the GO app.

I see, so what about recreational guys? Now we're going to have commercial drones to watch out for also? They are doing a bee line (No pun intended) to their delivery in the same air space as recreation pilots?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661