DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Approves DJI To Authorize Customer Flights In Controlled Airspace

I see, so what about recreational guys? Now we're going to have commercial drones to watch out for also? They are doing a bee line (No pun intended) to their delivery in the same air space as recreation pilots?

I'm going to invest in hard hats, just visioning the future in my mind... ha.

I see, so what about recreational guys? Now we're going to have commercial drones to watch out for also? They are doing a bee line (No pun intended) to their delivery in the same air space as recreation pilots?

Currently just call the airport / tower if within 5 miles. The 2018 act states that it will be airspace based for recreational flight too, and mentions getting authorization from the airspace administrator, but no details on how.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Who would be the 'Airspace Administrator'?
I live in class D airspace. The airport just under 5 miles from me is moderately large airport, and I am under a flight path. However all planes passing over appear way over 400 feet so flying under 200 feet in theory shouldn't be an issue. But because of the technical rules, I probably will be prohibited from flying.

Who would be the 'Airspace Administrator'?
I live in class D airspace. The airport just under 5 miles from me is moderately large airport, and I am under a flight path. However all planes passing over appear way over 400 feet so flying under 200 feet in theory shouldn't be an issue. But because of the technical rules, I probably will be prohibited from flying.

In the case of Class D it would be the tower.

This will be interesting. I’m surprised that the FAA is giving so much control to private companies. I wonder if it will cost to get permitted flight authorization.

This will be interesting. I’m surprised that the FAA is giving so much control to private companies. I wonder if it will cost to get permitted flight authorization.

It doesn't cost anything currently - I can't see any reason why it would with this option.

I’m surprised that the FAA is giving so much control to private companies
The FAA hasn't given away any of their control. Requests coming from apps like DJI GO will be checked against airspace data in the FAA UAS Data Exchange such as temporary flight restrictions, NOTAMS and the UAS Facility Maps. If approved, pilots will receive authorization to fly in near-real time.

See more details here:
FAA UAS Data Exchange

Currently just call the airport / tower if within 5 miles. The 2018 act states that it will be airspace based for recreational flight too, and mentions getting authorization from the airspace administrator, but no details on how.

Yeah, I fly recreational and have NO desire to fly near an airport. I also live in the suburbs, so there will probably be few commercial drones flying. But I'm fairly close to some "Small" cities. It's going to be a nightmare when big companies like Amazon start sending out drones en mass for deliveries which doesn't seem safe at all to me. What's to stop a Grandma, kid or a dog from getting hurt by a drone landing on the doorstep? This is kinda OT, but has anyone seen what kind of regulations big companies are going to have imposed. I live in CT where there is LOTS of small airports and heliports (Maybe half the State shows no-fly zones) so the LAANC system is going to be used a lot. It better be a robust system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Yeah, I fly recreational and have NO desire to fly near an airport. I also live in the suburbs, so there will probably be few commercial drones flying. But I'm fairly close to some "Small" cities. It's going to be a nightmare when big companies like Amazon start sending out drones en mass for deliveries which doesn't seem safe at all to me. What's to stop a Grandma, kid or a dog from getting hurt by a drone landing on the doorstep? This is kinda OT, but has anyone seen what kind of regulations big companies are going to have imposed. I live in CT where there is LOTS of small airports and heliports (Maybe half the State shows no-fly zones) so the LAANC system is going to be used a lot. It better be a robust system.

I agree about the question of delivery flights - I have always wondered how on earth that would actually work without designated, protected landing zones everywhere. It just seems completely impracticable with the current state of technology.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
It's going to be a nightmare when big companies like Amazon start sending out drones en mass for deliveries which doesn't seem safe at all to me. What's to stop a Grandma, kid or a dog from getting hurt by a drone landing on the doorstep?

To me, thats the easiest question to answer. Amazon already has locker delivery, which delivers products and allows returns to a location near almost anyone. As of now, they use commercial ground vehicles to deliver goods to and pick up from the lockers. Locker space is cheap, because most of them are colocated with other stores such as gas stations, and other lockers are standalone units, with 24 hour access.

Amazon is the perfect company offer immediate drone delivery to a locker. 1 hour delivery! Imagine it. They already beat the pants off of Fedex, UPS and the USPS in delivery time, they offer same day delivery through its couriers, and I just love their system. Great company, and they care about their customers and who they buy from and distribute for.

Amazon should have been the first one that the US Govt approved as a LAANC supplier, and not DJI and other miscellaneous companies. Their track record is stellar. Politics is at the root of that issue.

To me, thats the easiest question to answer. Amazon already has locker delivery, which delivers products and allows returns to a location near almost anyone. As of now, they use commercial ground vehicles to deliver goods to and pick up from the lockers. Locker space is cheap, because most of them are collocated with other stores such as gas stations, and other lockers are standalone units, with 24 hour access.

Amazon is the perfect company offer immediate drone delivery to a locker. 1 hour delivery! Imagine it. They already beat the pants off of FedEx, UPS and the USPS in delivery time, they offer same day delivery through its couriers, and I just love their system. Great company, and they care about their customers and who they buy from and distribute for.

Amazon should have been the first one that the US Govt approved as a LAANC supplier, and not DJI and other miscellaneous companies. Their track record is stellar. Politics is at the root of that issue.

Yikes! If there are drones ALL over, you will ONLY be able to fly in the boon docks... which is OK with me.

Now let's talk about all these drones NOT in VLOS with it's operator in a cubicle. And again... would you trust an Octocopter Drone is not going to chew your face when you receive the package?

Reactions: Former Member
Now let's talk about all these drones NOT in VLOS with it's operator in a cubicle
That one is easy. The FAA has the power to allow operations outside of VLOS.

Yikes! If there are drones ALL over, you will ONLY be able to fly in the boon docks... which is OK with me.

I dont think that in increase in commercial drone usage for package delivery would cause more congested recreational airspace. Amazons altitudes for its drones would be around 800 - 1000' agl, so wont interfere with recreational flights.

Now let's talk about all these drones NOT in VLOS with it's operator in a cubicle. And again... would you trust an Octocopter Drone is not going to chew your face when you receive the package?

I dont think that drones would cause a hazard to grandmas or dogs if they are landed at the Amazon type locker centers. I wonder how many injuries and fatalities are caused by UPS, USPS and Fedex vehicles every year? Those vehicles clog the roads, create emissions nightmares, and depend on the whim of the weather to get your package to you. Drones will have no such limitations, even in strong winds.

In my Amazon example, you would never even see the drone that just delivered your package. Yes someone in a cubicle would be commanding the launch by a ground station at Amazons distribution HQ or from really anywhere in the world, and that same person would be commanding and tracking dozens of drones during the day. Same as ATC do now, but they wont have to give verbal instructions to the drones, as ATC's do to ATP's. I have been wondering for many years why ATC has not been digitized to give digtally transmitted vectors to aircraft instead of a verbal ATC, who could give the wrong verbal command, or just be having a bad day.

The US military has been using autonomous drones successfully for many years, and all that technology that the military uses eventually trickles down to the consumer market. Aircraft have jetways, drones could have droneways. Even on the Jetsons cartoon, their space vehicles stayed to the right and had designated jetways. A carton could be reality in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
I dont think that in increase in commercial drone usage for package delivery would cause more congested recreational airspace. Amazons altitudes for its drones would be around 800 - 1000' agl, so wont interfere with recreational flights.

I dont think that drones would cause a hazard to grandmas or dogs if they are landed at the Amazon type locker centers. I wonder how many injuries and fatalities are caused by UPS, USPS and Fedex vehicles every year? Those vehicles clog the roads, create emissions nightmares, and depend on the whim of the weather to get your package to you. Drones will have no such limitations, even in strong winds.

In my Amazon example, you would never even see the drone that just delivered your package. Yes someone in a cubicle would be commanding the launch by a ground station at Amazons distribution HQ or from really anywhere in the world, and that same person would be commanding and tracking dozens of drones during the day. Same as ATC do now, but they wont have to give verbal instructions to the drones, as ATC's do to ATP's. I have been wondering for many years why ATC has not been digitized to give digtally transmitted vectors to aircraft instead of a verbal ATC, who could give the wrong verbal command, or just be having a bad day.

The US military has been using autonomous drones successfully for many years, and all that technology that the military uses eventually trickles down to the consumer market. Aircraft have jetways, drones could have droneways. Even on the Jetsons cartoon, their space vehicles stayed to the right and had designated jetways. A carton could be reality in the not too distant future.

So a 50 lb drone falling or going crazy at 800 to 1000 feet with a cargo of Champagne landing on your head ? Nice!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos