DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Got Slapped Down - Cannot Regulate Model Aircraft

Think about this one too guys, when you are registered with the FAA you are an aircraft. SO now you don't have to register so officially you aren't an "aircraft" so what if John Boy Bob across the street decides to shoot you down with his ole double barrel goose gun. Are you still protected? Has he shot down an Aircraft and can be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law just as if he had shot and hit a manned aircraft? Or now, did he just shoot down a pesky "toy" that was annoying him and flying over his house without his permission.

Not quite true, my friend. All law agrees, hobby aircraft are aircraft.

You just have to be sure you operate in the hobby aircraft realm, or the FAA has jurisdiction over its operation. Registering changed none of this.

I still plan on telling everyone that I'm registered with the FAA. It HELPS you deal with the myriad of law enforcement and local busybodies.

I may be a lone wolf on this but I think this turn of events is a bad thing!

At least with the public perception of the FAA having some level of control we are were fairly safe from any kind of knee jerk reaction created by the drone fearing public. Now with the ball squarely in the hands of politicians we are at the mercy of those who respond to whatever gets them the most votes.

Rob

DJI tend to agree with you... Head of Policy thought the approach to registration was reasonable and provides for accountability and education. I don't disagree.

None of that changes, my friend. Only registration.

If you operate outside of the guidelines of model aircraft, then you instantly become a UAV non-hobby pilot, under full jurisdiction of the FAA.

In over words, an "model aircraft" is not the machine. It's how the machine is used.

Stay below 400' and in line of sight unless you want to leave the realm of hobbyist.
Yep and I'm sure the hundreds of videos on this site means that those people all have been convicted and fined. Look all I'm saying is you all say nothing changed yeah in fact nothing changes people will still fly the way they want and people still won't get fined or jail time for it, as far as flying out of line of sight goes.

None of that changes, my friend. Only registration.

If you operate outside of the guidelines of model aircraft, then you instantly become a UAV non-hobby pilot, under full jurisdiction of the FAA.

In over words, an "model aircraft" is not the machine. It's how the machine is used.

Stay below 400' and in line of sight unless you want to leave the realm of hobbyist.
You are right about the registration part that has changed. What was confusing with the registration process was the flight recommendations that required agreement as part of the registration process. Some of those recommendations are not applicable or enforceable per PL 112-95 sec. 336. As well as the need to register in the first place, as it turns out.
There is question whether the FAA regards an infraction of 336 to mean you are now automatically a part 107 pilot. I've seen argument to support that as well as evidence to the contrary.
The part of "stay below 400'.......realm of hobbyist" does not apply to hobbyists. Just to clarify. The LOS does apply, just not the height restriction.

Again, to be clear... a model aircraft is not just the machine... it's the way the machine is flown. If you fly it outside of the parameters of model aircraft, your Mav becomes a UAS, non-hobby... and you're under FAA jurisdiction at that point.

BINGO

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Guys I have moved this to News hoping more will see it and stop posting duplicates on this .
Thank You to all that have report duplicates and continue to and I
will do my best to keep up :)

At least with the public perception of the FAA having some level of control we are were fairly safe from any kind of knee jerk reaction created by the drone fearing public. Now with the ball squarely in the hands of politicians we are at the mercy of those who respond to whatever gets them the most votes.

Rob
Sheep will always need a Shepard. Some people always feel the need to be governed by big brother.

Every aspect of their lives must be controlled and or regulated or they feel aimless. Poor souls.

You've been freed of a needless and incessant regulation, you should be happy and rejoice in the fact that you're a little bit more free.

Be happy there is a judge saw thought the B.S. and ridiculous drone hysteria.

Last edited:

Rob

I agree with you... The FAA I feel was protecting us and not I think the local and state government will do as they please to provide drone pilots from flying the friendly sky that was once governed by the FAA.

I agree with you... The FAA I feel was protecting us and not I think the local and state government will do as they please to provide drone pilots from flying the friendly sky that was once governed by the FAA.
Fortunately the state and local governments cannot regulate the national air space, and the FAA can continue to do its job. All that was changed was the registration requirement. All other flight rules as outlined by Congress and the FAA are still in effect, and none were removed.

Reactions: Blades
So hold on to your hats. They are not going to take this laying down. They never take no for an answer, and have already responded that they are weighing their options, instead of complying with a federal court decision. If they loose a case, they just keep appealing because unlike Joe common, they have unlimited taxpayer funds to continue until they get the decision they want. They did in the Pirker case and they will do it again.

This is one of, if not the most powerful federal agencies in existence, and they are arrogant. Don't think they will simply go out with a wimper of embarrassment.

For those of you who think that the registration was a good policy, that isn't the point. It was flat out illegal and if Congress wants a registration, they can make it so.
Otherwise, federal agencies simply can not, and should not, be making thinges up as they go, whether or not you or I think it is a good idea.

Last edited:
More than likely the FAA will keep the current registration infrastructure in place and petition congress to change the law giving them the appropriate authority. All in all, not much will change. Except, perhaps, (and I've seen some evidence of it in this thread) for the morons that hear this news and assume that means there are no longer ANY rules on drones. Could get interesting.

More than likely the FAA will keep the current registration infrastructure in place and petition congress to change the law giving them the appropriate authority. All in all, not much will change. Except, perhaps, (and I've seen some evidence of it in this thread) for the morons that hear this news and assume that means there are no longer ANY rules on drones. Could get interesting.
Nice dig at the forum members [emoji108]

Reactions: Blades
Don't go pulling your stickers just yet. Treat this as you would a firmware update.

Reactions: HarryMerkin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv