DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA license

All drones are required to be registered with the FAA. Not the same as an FAA license.

Having dealt with the FAA and its "licensing" for many years, let me clarify something. Typically, manned aircraft pilots get their Private license first. That one IS "the license." Any additional entries (to the best of my knowledge,) are "ratings" and the instructor who signs off on this new addition gives the new pilot his "endorsement."

So again, to the best of my knowledge, the feds would consider a Part 107 certificate a "rating." I don't have mine yet but for any of you who also have a Private or more and you have received your new, plastic "license" after taking the test, does it indicate Part 107 under your other ratings? I'm guessing that's how they duit. At least that's how it works for different aircraft (that require a type rating) or for any additional ratings one gets like Instrument, Multi-Engine, Air Transport Pilot, Seaplane, Rotorcraft, Lighter Than Air or whatever they call the balloonist rating.

Interesting take! I do know on my card, it does specifically state:
II REMOTE PILOT
. . .
XII RATINGS
REMOTE PILOT
SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEM

But for all intents and purposes, the FAA refers to the card as a license/certificate throughout their text when they make reference to Part 107 drone operators, which makes no difference to me what they call it.

So, it seems that, it may be be the highest category is listed on the front (II) of the license/certificate with the ratings on the reverse in XII. Confirm anyone.

Either way, I can fly a drone for money or fun!
Es macht nichts!
It matters not!

The tricky part is that the FAA considers commercial use any flight done in furtherance of business. So, while you may not actually be making money using the drone, if you use it to make money elsewhere such as a monetized YouTube channel or reference photos for architecture, etc. you still may be required to have a part 107. FAA is still figuring all of this out.

Having dealt with the FAA and its "licensing" for many years, let me clarify something. Typically, manned aircraft pilots get their Private license first. That one IS "the license." Any additional entries (to the best of my knowledge,) are "ratings" and the instructor who signs off on this new addition gives the new pilot his "endorsement."

So again, to the best of my knowledge, the feds would consider a Part 107 certificate a "rating." I don't have mine yet but for any of you who also have a Private or more and you have received your new, plastic "license" after taking the test, does it indicate Part 107 under your other ratings? I'm guessing that's how they duit. At least that's how it works for different aircraft (that require a type rating) or for any additional ratings one gets like Instrument, Multi-Engine, Air Transport Pilot, Seaplane, Rotorcraft, Lighter Than Air or whatever they call the balloonist rating.

It's on the back under XII Ratings. (Remote Pilot: Small Unmanned Aircraft System).

is there a map of some sort to let u know where u can fly on any given day so u wont have any issues thanks
There are apps that can help you out. If your using your DJI of some sort, it should give you messages and warnings before you take off. Other apps such has B4UFly and AirMap can help show you airspace and TFRs around you.

It's on the back under XII Ratings. (Remote Pilot: Small Unmanned Aircraft System).
I have 2 separate plastic licenses. I was issued my Part 107 as a separate card. It mentions nothing of my aircraft types or ratings. I also thougth this would have been some type of endorsement, but apparently not the case.

P143: THAT is quite interesting. Based on what you discovered, it seems like the feds do not consider a "UAV License" to be in the same category as a manned aircraft license, sort of like the separate FCC radio "license" that had to be carried but I never had an inspector ask for mine. And, like you, I thought for sure they would simply add to the normal "card" with the 107 endorsement. Two cards is a bit of a pain as well. Same problem with concealed carry, at least here in Texas, but allegedly the state will eventually combine the two. It would be nice if the FAA would do the same thing for 107 folks.

P143: THAT is quite interesting. Based on what you discovered, it seems like the feds do not consider a "UAV License" to be in the same category as a manned aircraft license, sort of like the separate FCC radio "license" that had to be carried but I never had an inspector ask for mine. And, like you, I thought for sure they would simply add to the normal "card" with the 107 endorsement. Two cards is a bit of a pain as well. Same problem with concealed carry, at least here in Texas, but allegedly the state will eventually combine the two. It would be nice if the FAA would do the same thing for 107 folks.
I know whatcha mean! I have a National Concealed carry valid in all 50+DC, but for some silly reason, I also maintain my CO and UT concealed carry. Go figure . . .

I prefer the 2 separate cards. I leave my 107 in my M2 case and my ATP, passport, and medical in my flight bag. No need to swap back and forth.

The way I would look at is a person gets a license (or rating) and an aircraft is registered. Our drones are registered. Now the FAA has muddied it up by saying one registration applies to multiple UAVs. Based on this logic it therefore would follow that part 107 pilots have a license.

No need to swap back and forth.

Now, why didn't *I* think of that?! (cuz you're retired, dummy, and you no longer have to worry about dat stuff.) :) Nonetheless, that is an excellent point and for that reason alone, I too would have wanted both cards to do exactly the same thing. One you can get by without, one you can't.

In the USA:

The Private Pilot certificate is issued under Part 61.
The sUAS Remote Pilot certificate is issued under Part 107.

They are two separate certificates and are for people, not aircraft.

Ratings are privileges noted on the back of the certificate (i.e. for a Private Pilot I have Airplane SEL, Instrument Airplane). Ratings require formal testing by the FAA and can include oral, written and flight testing (check ride).

Endorsements are basically ‘sign-offs’ by a certified instructor...entered in your logbook (i.e. Complex, High Altitude, Tailwheel, High Performance)...not on your certificate.

If you just fly as a hobbyist you must register yourself with the FAA....this is not a pilot certificate. You are issued a registration number and this goes on all your aircraft over .55lbs. So as a Part 101 (hobbyist) pilot you have one card to carry...the registration card.

If you fly as a certificated pilot under Part 107 you must register each aircraft operated under Part 107 separately; each aircraft will have a unique number. As a Part 107 pilot you carry a Pilot certificate, plus you must have a registration card for each aircraft being operated that day.

Last edited:
is there a map of some sort to let u know where u can fly on any given day so u wont have any issues thanks

I use the app “AirMap”. You specify if you are flying for fun (hobbyist) or Part 107 Certified (Commercial). It then gives you a map of your area with flight restrictions.

I know whatcha mean! I have a National Concealed carry valid in all 50+DC, but for some silly reason, I also maintain my CO and UT concealed carry. Go figure . . .

No such license....national concealed carry does not exist at this time....unless you’re a sworn law enforcement officer.

No such license....national concealed carry does not exist at this time....unless you’re a sworn law enforcement officer.
BINGO, after 44 years in the Law Enforcement field, 24 military as a cop, 20 working in prison)
H.R. 218 - Retired Law Enforcement Officer Authority to Carry Concealed Firearms

Here's the background: Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia
Perhaps you are eligible? I hope so, so many are not aware they may be.

Love your avatars
Carl and Dave?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech