DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA license

If its anything like the UK then you cannot undertake any kind of commercial work without a valid license or a CAA issued PfCO as its called over here. You will have to wait for some some of your fellow US pilots to answer any other points.

Is there anyone on here that can answer some questions about the FAA license? And the reason for having one.

The main reason to have one is, it is required unless you only fly indoors. Required for a hobbyist, or commercial work in .us. Hobbyist registration is easy. Commercial more difficult. Effective this week, your registration number must be clearly visible on the outside of the aircraft.

The main reason to have one is, it is required unless you only fly indoors. Required for a hobbyist, or commercial work in .us. Hobbyist registration is easy. Commercial more difficult. Effective this week, your registration number must be clearly visible on the outside of the aircraft.
Not quite sure I understand what you are saying here. Clarify please.
License required if you fly outside?????
Or are we talking about registration?

Not quite sure I understand what you are saying here. Clarify please.
License required if you fly outside?????
Or are we talking about registration?

If you only fly inside a building, FAA does not care. But they do care about flying outside anywhere. All drones must be registered (over 500 grams anyway) if they are flown outside. If you fly for any commercial purpose (even if the specific flight is unpaid, but has some commercial purpose), additional licensing and fees must be paid. All the Part 107 stuff.

Your only question was "the reason for having one." Answer is it is required by FAA.

Reactions: JAW
If its anything like the UK then you cannot undertake any kind of commercial work without a valid license or a CAA issued PfCO as its called over here. You will have to wait for some some of your fellow US pilots to answer any other points.
Thanks just trying to see if it's worth the investment for someone like me that is just flying for fun

The op asked about a “license”.
Your response was that it was required.
I get confused in my old age and thought you had found a new rule that I hadn’t seen.

The op asked about a “license”.
Your response was that it was required.
I get confused in my old age and thought you had found a new rule that I hadn’t seen.

No change that I know of. But it is still a requirement. Has been for the last five years or so.

If you only fly inside a building, FAA does not care. But they do care about flying outside anywhere. All drones must be registered (over 500 grams anyway) if they are flown outside. If you fly for any commercial purpose (even if the specific flight is unpaid, but has some commercial purpose), additional licensing and fees must be paid. All the Part 107 stuff.

Your only question was "the reason for having one." Answer is it is required by FAA.

The confusion here is that neither is a "license."

If you're flying as a hobbyist ("just for fun") you need to register with the FAA. Cost is $5 for three years. You can use the same number on every drone you own, and starting Monday that number has to be displayed on the outside of the drone.

If you're doing anything other than flying for fun, even if means you're not making money, you need a Part 107 certificate. It's not a license. This requires passing a test every two years. You also need to register each drone individually.

Let me add to the confusion. :)
Suppose One gets a 107 certification, can he still fly as a hobbyist? If he is never gonna use the privilege of commercial certification?
Some like me, like to learn and get certificated, but never use it to make any financial gain from it.
I just passed my exam yesterday.

Let me add to the confusion. :)
Suppose One gets a 107 certification, can he still fly as a hobbyist? If he is never gonna use the privilege of commercial certification?
Some like me, like to learn and get certificated, but never use it to make any financial gain from it.
I just passed my exam yesterday.

This answers one question you asked an one question you didn’t. Yes you can still fly as hobbyist apparently.

But I believe that if your drone does commercial work it has to be registered as such whenever it is used.

Reactions: Aviator
USA/FAA: No registration is required at all for indoor flying.
There are essentially two different classifications of drone registration: commercial and non-commercial (Fly for Fun), if there is to be any monetizing with the drone, then the commercial or Part 107 comes into play. Each drone must be registered separately under the Part 107 issues. Fly for Fun, the pilot is registered once and only once no matter how many drones s/he possesses. Further a Part 107 pilot may choose to fly for fun at his/her whim. Hope this helped.

Reactions: RogerMav
is there a map of some sort to let u know where u can fly on any given day so u wont have any issues thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78