DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA ~ Recreational Drone Flying Aeronautical Test Moves Forward

Lol, says the guy who compares a windshield to an airfoil.

That would be the guy who actually understands the physics of compressible flow. And "Lol" is not an argument - in this case it's just an obvious declaration of ( Mod Removed )

Last edited by a moderator:
Topic of the thread.
FAA ~ Recreational Drone Flying Aeronautical Test Moves Forward
Lets stick to it from here out guys.
Thanks.

Reactions: Thomas B
Well, here we go again, more un enforceable spew from the FAA. Im not bothered by some regulation re. safety, but recreational licencing is rediculous. That is unless the licencing requirement is directed to the 12 year old kid with the $20.00 play drone he or she flys in there backyard. For the most part this , with few exceptions, is like the 107 that is, I have a licence just to say have a licence . FAA has no time or recourses to enforce this sort of thing. As said before, it has no merit. One thing we should consider is that we who have invested major$ into our drones , for the most part, are aware of safety regulations, but we are a very small % of the drone opperator's in the world. As an example I have a $50 play drone that I can take anyplace and fly it. I could take it to the airport and fly around the controle tower (im sure ,not without consequence) . I guess that the bottom line is that we take safety serious as does DJI and most other high $ drone companys, but we are in a very small minority. A large % dont give a ****
Fly safe
The Hound !

Look ^ and the only ones that think this is positive are the ones with something to gain $$$ 107 instructors faa advisors and so on . Everyone else keeps quite like a church mouse

just things I've noticed over the last year or so

Reactions: PoonDog
I might be wrong but it was stated that there are 1 million drone pilots already. By the time the tests are written and taken there will be more. So your a million + behind on you have to be licienced before you can buy a drone. Companys like DJI will fight against that condition I'm guessing.

The Hound !

Look ^ and the only ones that think this is positive are the ones with something to gain $$$ 107 instructors faa advisors and so on . Everyone else keeps quite like a church mouse

just things I've noticed over the last year or so

I personally think it's a positive idea. I can assure you I have nothing at all to gain other than hopefully improving overall EDUCATION of the NAS and maybe along the way increasing safety.

Will this stop those who INTEND to do bad things? Absolutely not.

Does it have some potential to enhance education and NAS understanding? Absolutely YES!!!

I might be wrong but it was stated that there are 1 million drone pilots already. By the time the tests are written and taken there will be more. So your a million + behind on you have to be licienced before you can buy a drone. Companys like DJI will fight against that condition I'm guessing.

Quick point, not 1 million drone pilots but 1 million people who own a UAS. Other point, out of those 1 million how many own sub $200 UAS devices? You know, the ones made for kids which can barely climb past 100' before losing signal, in other words...toys. Is the FAA going to ask kids to take a test for those too?

The whole thing is ridiculous, someone at the FAA is working to show they did something worthwhile hoping to bump up to the next GS scale by enacting unnecessary legislation for a non issue. ??

One advantage is herd protection. Kind of like like herd immunity from vaccines. But less accurate.

Let's take that arbitrary 1 million number. It's as useful or useless as any number, but it gives us something to work with. If any percentage of that number takes the recreational course and test, then that percentage will have learned something. For what percentage of the "1 million" will actually get it, who knows? But since we started with an arbitrary number, I'm going to say 10% of the people who buy a junk affordable drone from the Sharper Image catalog will actually go the motions of taking the recreational exam. So, of the 10% who go through the course and exam, 10% get it.

At the end of the day, you have 10,000 people who know it's wrong to fly over people at a low light and you shouldn't dive bomb seagulls (some idiot on a sister forum). And that's 10,000 people who have a decent understanding of where and when it's legal to fly a drone.

So when you are flying somewhere, doing the right thing, and someone starts to complain; there may be one of the 10,000 there who will have your back. At least in the US.

If anyone from the FAA is reading this: If you want increase the number of people taking the example, give them something for passing. People love stickers and they are cheap. Give them option of a shirt or mug that says they passed the recreational exam. Just a suggestion...

Reactions: BigAl07
My 2 cents: If there is in fact a test required for hobbyists, then it should also open up more areas for hobbyists to fly. Currently with a few exceptions, drones are not allowed in state parks in my state, but other states welcome drone flights, videos etc (it's free advertising for them). I have no problems with requiring basic education, but when you do all that and still can't fly anywhere, it just leads to the desire to break the rules.

My 2 cents: If there is in fact a test required for hobbyists, then it should also open up more areas for hobbyists to fly. Currently with a few exceptions, drones are not allowed in state parks in my state, but other states welcome drone flights, videos etc (it's free advertising for them). I have no problems with requiring basic education, but when you do all that and still can't fly anywhere, it just leads to the desire to break the rules.

Even Part 107 doesn't open up more "Flying Area". That's not how it works right now.

There's no law prohibiting flying over state parks, since airspace is governed by FAA. What is restricted is takeoff, landing or operating in (meaning where you are standing with the controls) is not under FAA's control, just as not "flying in" National Parks is not under FAA control. FAA simply advises about NP restrictions as a courtesy to you and NP officials.

One advantage is herd protection. Kind of like like herd immunity from vaccines. But less accurate.

Let's take that arbitrary 1 million number. It's as useful or useless as any number, but it gives us something to work with. If any percentage of that number takes the recreational course and test, then that percentage will have learned something. For what percentage of the "1 million" will actually get it, who knows? But since we started with an arbitrary number, I'm going to say 10% of the people who buy a junk affordable drone from the Sharper Image catalog will actually go the motions of taking the recreational exam. So, of the 10% who go through the course and exam, 10% get it.

At the end of the day, you have 10,000 people who know it's wrong to fly over people at a low light and you shouldn't dive bomb seagulls (some idiot on a sister forum). And that's 10,000 people who have a decent understanding of where and when it's legal to fly a drone.

So when you are flying somewhere, doing the right thing, and someone starts to complain; there may be one of the 10,000 there who will have your back. At least in the US.

If anyone from the FAA is reading this: If you want increase the number of people taking the example, give them something for passing. People love stickers and they are cheap. Give them option of a shirt or mug that says they passed the recreational exam. Just a suggestion...
They get a certificate proving they passed in case any officials ask for proof.

Even Part 107 doesn't open up more "Flying Area". That's not how it works right now.

Where do you fly in NC? My understanding is that no one may takeoff or land a UAV from any public or private property anywhere in the entire state without the express permission from the landowner.

Where do you fly in NC? My understanding is that no one may takeoff or land a UAV from anywhere in the entire state without the express permission from the landowner.

Ummmmmmm I fly from many MANY places across the state and the region not just NC. I don't go trespassing (drone or no drone) so such statues don't come into play for me. I also don't fly kites, shoot guns, or g o4-wheeling on other people's property without their permission... again that goes for NC and everywhere else I end up.

I think NC has the toughest UAV law in the country:

15A-300.2. Regulation of launch and recovery sites.

No unmanned aircraft system may be launched or recovered from any State or private property without consent.

I am curious whether this does not functionally ban most recreational flying in your state while leaving commercial and governmental UAV flight operations largely untouched.

As per the title, and posted also in a fresh thread on the FAA testing...
1576534682462.jpeg

For more information about the new testing system, please visit Airman Certificate Testing Service (ACTS).

Webinar Format:

• Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • Webinar sessions are hosted in audio and visual format via GoToWebinar.
  • You must download the GoToWebinar software on your computer, smartphone/tablet app.
  • On the day of the webinar you can access the session via the join link in your confirmation email, or using your 9-digit Webinar ID.
  • You are encouraged to read the GoToWebinar How-To Guide ahead of the webinar.
Questions about the webinar or the test? Please email [email protected].

I don't think that's referring to the upcoming recreational test. They use the same "knowledge test" lingo for 107.

As per the title, and posted also in a fresh thread on the FAA testing...
View attachment 88299

For more information about the new testing system, please visit Airman Certificate Testing Service (ACTS).

Webinar Format:

• Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • Webinar sessions are hosted in audio and visual format via GoToWebinar.
  • You must download the GoToWebinar software on your computer, smartphone/tablet app.
  • On the day of the webinar you can access the session via the join link in your confirmation email, or using your 9-digit Webinar ID.
  • You are encouraged to read the GoToWebinar How-To Guide ahead of the webinar.
Questions about the webinar or the test? Please email [email protected].
Why are they requiring registration? Why not just broadcast live on YouTube or some other open format?

Go to the links rather that guess?
I went by the other post, and recent past research when one posted a topic about training info for recreational test. The link in the latter topic referred to "Airman Knowledge Test" and book was dated 2016.

FAA link doesn't really distinguish 107 exam from the currently non-existant recreational exam. We have no idea how the recreational exam will be administered.
Besides, how can you change the way a test is administered that doesn't even exist?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78