DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA registration

RParker762

Reactions
So my Mavic Pro Platinum is registered with the FAA and now I need to register my new MA2 but cannot see where to add another drone. Or is it one registration per pilot?

So my Mavic Pro Platinum is registered with the FAA and now I need to register my new MA2 but cannot see where to add another drone. Or is it one registration per pilot?
If you registered for recreational use, you never registered your drone.
You registered yourself as a drone user and the registration covers as many drones as you own.

Yeah... I think that's the one thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned. When you register, the FAA doesn't ask for drone model or serial. It would appear that they are registering YOU, not the drone. It's just that the drone's weight is the threshold deciding whether you identify yourself to the FAA as a drone owner or not. I would imagine this applies in the US only and other countries would have different registration requirements and standards.

Yeah... I think that's the one thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned. When you register, the FAA doesn't ask for drone model or serial. It would appear that they are registering YOU, not the drone. It's just that the drone's weight is the threshold deciding whether you identify yourself to the FAA as a drone owner or not. I would imagine this applies in the US only and other countries would have different registration requirements and standards.

That's for HOBBY only. Commercial Registration is for each individual aircraft.

Also Part 107 aircraft registration has nothing to do with weight. Any aircraft used outside of Hobby Use (Commercial etc) must be registered regardless of it's weight. 100% of all Commercial UAS must be registered as such.

True, you don't need registration to fly a drone under 250g for recreation, but you still need to abide by the rules. Rules include getting authorization when flying in controlled airspace, and you need a registration number to apply for authorization. Registration is only $5 for 3 years so there's little reason not to register.

I strongly encourage everyone (in the US) to go ahead and register your Mavic Mini. Especially if you already are registered as a recreational flyer. Just put that number on the new Mini. When I give demos or classes, that's my standard reply.

My rationale: if there is ever a situation where someone calls the authorities on you for flying, they'll want to see a registration number. Many do not know that you don't have to register the Mini in the U.S. So just do it. Spend the $5 and consider a bit of hassle insurance.

Reactions: MA2 317 and BigAl07
I strongly encourage everyone (in the US) to go ahead and register your Mavic Mini. Especially if you already are registered as a recreational flyer. Just put that number on the new Mini. When I give demos or classes, that's my standard reply.

My rationale: if there is ever a situation where someone calls the authorities on you for flying, they'll want to see a registration number. Many do not know that you don't have to register the Mini in the U.S. So just do it. Spend the $5 and consider a bit of hassle insurance.

I would agree. It's simple and less than 10 minutes to do. The fact is, that as soon as you attach any gear to the Mini you're over the limit. I've attached photos below showing that leg extensions or a single strobe puts us over the 249 gram weight limit requiring registration. FWIW, prop guards are 158 grams, which is way over the limit.

Not to digress too far, but as a tangent, especially for new pilots, I would strongly encourage putting at least one light, preferably a strobe on your Mini. The small footprint and less-than-bright color makes it really easy to lose sight of it even a few hundred feet away. I would also recommend to new flyers a "headlight" of sorts to have a general idea of how it's oriented. Even after months of flying I cannot tell you how many times I've lost my drones in the sky while still well within the VLOS rule. We have to remember we're trying to spot something the size of a skeletonized shoe box, not a Volkswagen hundreds of feet away. Just sayin'
Mini_WeightwGear.jpg

Disagree, I have two registered drone in Florida.

If you went Hobby Registration how did you do it twice? There's no allowance for a 2nd Hobby Registration in the UAS DroneZone. If you used a 3rd party for your registration they took you for a ride.

If you went Part 107 that's correct.

US/FAA Hobby Registration - The Operator is registered and the same reg# is placed on all UAS that are used strictly for Hobby flights.
US/FAA Part 107 Registration - Each individual UAS gets a unique Registration # and the AIRCRAFT is registered specifically. You can NOT apply a Part 107 Reg# to more than one aircraft. They are AIRCRAFT specific

Also it's important to note that a Part 107 aircraft CAN be flown recreationally but a hobby/recreational registered aircraft can NOT be flown for anything but hobby/recreation.

Also each aircraft can ONLY have a single Registration #. If you need to change Reg # you need to remove the original and replace it with the new VALID Reg #.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Disagree, I have two registered drone in Florida.

That is 100% wrong.

Recreational flyers register themselves as drone operators and are given a number. They put that same number on all of the drones they own. If they then get a Remote Pilot Certificate, then they need to register each drone separately.

Please make sure you understand the question and know the answer before you post. Your misinformation could get someone in trouble.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000