DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration

KennethH

Reactions
After passing the infamous TRUST exam, I proceeded to start the FAA registration process (my Mini is 304g). I wish the TRUST exam was as simple as the FAA process. And I get a lanyard. We all know how important your lanyard it. Interesting how one FAA registration number covers ALL your drones.

At one point they wanted to know the Mini 2 serial number. I decided to look in the battery compartment, and beside the unreadable sticker, there is another sticker with a QR code. I deciphered a number and gave them that.

Last edited:
Your serial number is also in your Fly app in the settings. And on your box.

One registration covers all your drones for recreational only.

Reactions: mavictk
I don't believe that the FAA provides lanyards. For new folks looking to register, make sure you start at FAADroneZone (note the .gov domain at the end). There are other sites that that "help" you register, and apparently some even send you a lanyard. But they generally cost more.

Last edited:
I don't believe that the FAA provides lanyards. For new folks looking to register, make sure you start at FAADroneZone (not the .gov domain at the end). There are other sites that that "help" you register, and apparently some even send you a lanyard. But they generally cost more.
I think the FAA is for some reason allowing private companies to get involved in the process, and so these companies have made the process a one-stop site for the registration, the stickers, and the lanyard (plus shipping). I paid one price for everything. Yes, I paid more than $5, but now it's all complete.

Last edited:
I think the FAA is working with other companies, and so they made the process a one-stop site for the registration, the stickers, and the lanyard (plus shipping). I paid one price for everything.
Yeah, right. Nope.
Post the link you are talking about. Registration only costs $5.

I think the FAA is working with other companies
It's more likely you paid a 3rd party to submit your information to the FAA on your behalf.

The FAA's registration process is super easy. It seems the hardest part is finding the official FAA website.

It's more likely you paid a 3rd party to submit your information to the FAA on your behalf.

The FAA's registration process is super easy. It seems the hardest part is finding the official FAA website.
The OP definitely did. The FAA doesn't sell items.

I got close with my bad eyesight. Mistook an H for an 8. Don't suppose I can correct that.
I think the FAA is working with other companies, and so they made the process a one-stop site for the registration, the stickers, and the lanyard (plus shipping). I paid one price for everything.
I agree that it probably wasn't the FAA Drone Zone. I was a bit numb after the TRUST test. I went for extra shipping because it's important to know where your lanyard is. They'll also print the stickers for the drone(s). Have to put one of those on my Mini 2. Includes pertinent info so if the Mini gets lost, maybe someone will send it home.

I got close with my bad eyesight. Mistook an H for an 8. Don't suppose I can correct that.
I guess you could reach out to the outfit that processed your payment. However, I'm not sure why they asked you for that information since a recreational FAA registration registers the pilot (you) and not a specific drone serial number.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Yeah, right. Nope.
Post the link you are talking about. Registration only costs $5.
FlyLegit, LLC is the place. Don't know the web site address.

FlyLegit, LLC is the place. Don't know the web site address.
www.droneregistration.com

From the bottom of their website:

"FlyLegit, LLC is not affiliated with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), FAADroneZone, or any other government entity and we are not a TRUST administrator."

Reactions: MS Coast

I agree that it probably wasn't the FAA Drone Zone. I was a bit numb after the TRUST test. I went for extra shipping because it's important to know where your lanyard is. They'll also print the stickers for the drone(s). Have to put one of those on my Mini 2. Includes pertinent info so if the Mini gets lost, maybe someone will send it home.
So you paid $49 for a $5 registration. These companies are not trading illegally, but they sure are taking advantage of a credulous public.

Thanks. I dug out my DJI Mini 2 Combo box, and found the serial number. Off by one digit. The result of bleary eyes right now. Being a Sunday, I sent off an email with the correct serial number, hoping they'd get it to make the correction. Probably doesn't matter that much.

Thanks. I dug out my DJI Mini 2 Combo box, and found the serial number. Off by one digit. The result of bleary eyes right now. Being a Sunday, I sent off an email with the correct serial number, hoping they'd get it to make the correction. Probably doesn't matter that much.
The serial number is irrelevant, since the FAA recreational registration doesn't ask for registration numbers - it is for you, not your aircraft. The question is just for show, and they have nothing to correct.
Plus a few more frills. Expedited shipping, stickers, and a lanyard. :)
Okay - you paid $48 for the $5 registration.

msinger IMike Singer) - MavicHelp has all kinds of extras for you to buy including very durable, easy to install stickers (even listed out specifically in his signature line). Check post #12 above. Mike is very responsive and knowledgeable. You would still be under $20 and have many choices of size and colors that suit your needs. I say this as a customer of MavicHelp. Mike also has guides, how-to points of interest and other good free information also. ...and finally it is all legitimate and not trying to take advantage of you.

Reactions: msinger
I registered at FAADroneZone for $5 after going somewhere else wanting a lot. however I didn’t get a lanyard :) The process was effortless. Then I did the TRUST at a link from FAA. It was free and pretty darn easy. All of this surprised me a bit.
Pilot Institute has a FREE TRUST course and gives you FREE registration stickers.

I have no use for lanyards...

;-)

TCS

Pilot Institute has a FREE TRUST course and gives you FREE registration stickers.
Not going to lie, I'm still trying to reconcile the statement about the TRUST exam in the first post. I mean it's so easy you can't fail!
Apparently, our community has failed another new member.

Reactions: Diordna
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treknotika