DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA

If they really want to get ahold of you, they'll call back. They are nothing if not persistent. Don't call them back, wait for them to call you. Phone calls are usually ok. Letters in the mail, however, usually aren't.

FAA sometimes reach out to drone operators and just ask them if they know the local laws.

I some how doubt this is correct. No law enforcement agency makes random calls to "quiz" people on laws. Certainly a national agency will not on local laws.

The FAA has been known to call people who post media online such as youtube. They usually will call from the local office to be sure you know about safe flight operations and the rules. If you have something they deem inappropriate they may ask you to remove the media.

Reactions: redfred
I have had a few facebookers whine about some of my photos and say over 400 feet and the are going to tell on me. It’s lame and childish. Although I haven’t gotten any calls.
Lol

363d34313c53fd7237d524b106fb3a73.jpg

Reactions: BeefStew
It may just be another telemarketer that spoofs a caller ID...those rotten bastiches do it all the time.

If they ARE the FAA, they’ll call back.

I some how doubt this is correct. No law enforcement agency makes random calls to "quiz" people on laws. Certainly a national agency will not on local laws.

I think it's more of a national agency vs. a law enforcement agency? In any case, some of my local law enforcement agency personnel (local PD) have no idea what the "FAA" is when I ask for permission to fly in the area. So, I certainly hope the FAA is better about acronyms than general law enforcement agencies.

Okay, I am trying to be funny, but the fact is still true that my local PD has no idea how to deal with quads or evidently what the FAA is or why I need to ask their permission to fly given some of them have helipads.

Okay, I am trying to be funny, but the fact is still true that my local PD has no idea how to deal with quads or evidently what the FAA is or why I need to ask their permission to fly given some of them have helipads.
The requirement is not to obtain permission, it's that you only inform them of your flight. If they are n putting you through to the people in charge of their helipad (who would know what the FAA is and why you are calling), then that is on them.

Reactions: cgfriberg
If they really want to get ahold of you, they'll call back. They are nothing if not persistent. Don't call them back, wait for them to call you. Phone calls are usually ok. Letters in the mail, however, usually aren't.

Here is copy of one of FAA's most famous letter orders of assessment. Note: the FAA mailed letter to Pirker at his residence in Switzerland. The FAA believes it can reach out and touch you anywhere in the world based on one flight in the USA.

FAA Order of Assessment1.jpg FAA Order of Assessment2.jpg FAA Order of Assessment3.jpg

The FAA called me and I'm kind of freaking out a little. They did not leave a message, I tried calling back and the call will not go through.

Should I be concerned?

I don't know, should you? :)

If you've just been posting drone footage on social media, YT, etc. under a screen name that makes it easy to ID you they will often call as part of sUAV community outreach. It's one of those initiative things.

Now if you've been doing stuff that guy in the video who made the freight train his b*%ch then it may not be so friendly a convo.

Just curious - if they did not leave a message and you were unable to call back, how do you know that it was the FAA?
Scammer - that would be my guess. Just like the scammers that spoof the IRS number and try to get you to give them a credit card number to pay a fine or go to jail.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock