DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fantastic D Log cinematic before and after test [emoji108]

Hey guys, sorry only replying now. I posted and went to sleep and only woke up now. I'm in a different time zone in Cape Town South Africa [emoji108]
Ok where do I start. In the YouTube video there is plenty of comments to answer the questions however I will try answer directly here [emoji41][emoji106]

Ah, i apologise, I've just seen the clip on your channel with comments. I can see you put a lot of work in to it. Like you say though, you can also achieve good results with a good d-log/lut combination if you haven't the time or the skills.

Reactions: Shawn3D
Sorry, I can't believe it's done by Mavic. There is no reaction from the people and birds. But really nice areal and movie

Thanks for the awesome comment. It's definitely Mavic. There even better high quality Mavic footage on the channel you can check out [emoji108]

Reactions: iBrownie
I would say he's just shot the d-log footage slightly over exposed and slapped a ground control lut on top of it. That's it!

Hey, actually slightly under exposed. This helps to not have too much blown highlights and bring up the shadows in post. There is plenty of manual grading in this shot. Heard it from the horses mouth now my friend [emoji108][emoji41]

Reactions: Wacker2611
Hey, actually slightly under exposed actually. This helps to not have too much blown highlights and bring up the shadows. There is plenty of manual grading in this shot. Heard it from the horses mouth now my friend [emoji108][emoji41]

Yes, see my retraction above. I was a bit hasty[emoji3]

Yes, see my retraction above. I was a bit hasty[emoji3]

All good. The thing about good grading is that it mustn't look too processed unless that's the look one wants. A balanced image is my preferred look with a light filter look just for style. This is for most cases. If it's normal filming I tend to grade a lot stronger with looks

Reactions: Spanishcop
Ah, i apologise, I've just seen the clip on your channel with comments. I can see you put a lot of work in to it. Like you say though, you can also achieve good results with a good d-log/lut combination if you haven't the time or the skills.

Yes absolutely agree, that will yield good results however the more one practices, the better the results, control and refined look one can achieve. Luts aren't a silver bullet to grading and often doesn't work out the box which often needs pre adjustments on the image to get the lut to work decently

All good. The thing about good grading is that it mustn't look too processed unless that's the look one wants. A balanced image is my preferred look with a light filter look just for style. This is for most cases. If it's normal filming I tend to grade a lot stronger with looks

Well, it's lovely footage, a pleasure to watch. I'm one of those without the skills, so I just tend to slap a lut on everything I do which does sometimes result in that 'over processed ' look. I try to mitigate that by shooting with a slightly over exposed image, but I'm not a perfectionist as you can probably tell!

You are far more able to retrieve image data in post from underexposed clips than you ever will in overexposed shots.

Nice vid, but flying way to close to people and wild life. Try flying further a away buddy

Where can I find your channel and maybe more details about your program (editor) you work with. I don't use D-Log and maybe it's really nice to create such great videos. How many time you spent for?

Where can I find your channel and maybe more details about your program (editor) you work with. I don't use D-Log and maybe it's really nice to create such great videos. How many time you spent for?

I also had issues seeing the Youtube link on the mobile app. I had to choose "web view" to see the URL:

Code:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKqIs-spuzbhpBjRCvzlSy5Xj5rcbA-U9vegSArzmTj-h5v3q5oEscmkxqFU8eYw8vlacNwD&v=fFu0W6P2w6A

I love this comment [emoji23]

Shawn... Under the style setting are you using Custom and what 3 values are you using? 0, -2, -2???? Or different? I've always used D-cinelike but haven't tried D-log.

Thanks,
Mike

The portion looking straight down, just before the birds shows to much over processing. Details in the waves are lost and the water flowing off the rocks appears and disappears then reappears. Nice grading over all.

Just to be clear. It is right that if I'm staying in .400 I'll don't get the privilege of usable d-log?

What firmware brought it back.?

Hey buddy, go to the YouTube video description and all your questions will be answered [emoji41]
I see it, I tried it, and I modified it a little for testing. I didn't see it the first time because I don't always go to YouTube to play videos from the forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN