DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fell from the air in sports mode

Bob1023

Reactions
I was flying the air in sports mode while gaining altitude. As I’m looking down at the screen the drone feed just started showing the drone was tumbling out of the sky (flips and rolls) and it eventually regained itself (pretty amazing).

What happend? I literally had both sticks pushed forward in sports mode and no sudden change of direction.

Edit: temperature was 73 degrees, no birds...unintentional failed stunt if that’s possible?

Last edited:
For a short while no, but prolonged time it might complain about overloading the battery.

What conditions? If cold/humid you could have had prop icing which is made more likely to happen the faster the props spin.

Was the gimble freaking out ?
I don’t believe so because the screen looked like the ground was getting closer. This is all a split second thing and obviously adrenaline kicked in too. I’m trying to remember the details. Unfortunately I wasn’t recording.

For a short while no, but prolonged time it might complain about overloading the battery.

What conditions? If cold/humid you could have had prop icing which is made more likely to happen the faster the props spin.

I’m in the Phoenix area. It’s a nice 73 degrees. Thanks for the quick questions though.

I’m new to the Air but I’ve had my Phantom 3 Advanced for 3 or 4 years.

Do you have a flight log you can post?

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

or

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

It's at 0:28 seconds in

According to the DJI app my controller was in sports mode with sticks forward right when I crossed Sierra street the drone flipped 180 degrees and then another 180 degrees back. Obviously in the app it looked like it "fell" I'm not sure if my camera was facing the ground or not. Height didn't record as a fall it...it felt like it at the time and I thought so but it's erratic behavior

Last edited:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

or

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

It's at 0:28 seconds in

According to the DJI app my controller was in sports mode with sticks forward right when I crossed Sierra street the drone flipped 180 degrees and then another 180 degrees back. Obviously in the app it looked like it "fell" I'm not sure if my camera was facing the ground or not. Height didn't record as a fall it...it felt like it at the time and I thought so but it's erratic behavior
I don't see any drop in altitude at or around 0:28 seconds. I'm going to guess that it was a gimbal reset.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Sticks forward it flipped. I immediately let go of the sticks afterwards and it did a full 180 before self correcting.

Attachments

• 58393A10-B542-4951-A895-23F4084CC182.png
    58393A10-B542-4951-A895-23F4084CC182.png
    932 KB · Views: 61
You were definitely full up and full forward and the abnormal behavior shows, but I don't see anything suspicious that could have caused it.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Clipboard02.png
    Clipboard02.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
The altitude did not decrease, but something odd certainly happened here:

Log.jpg

The altitude did not decrease, but something odd certainly happened here:

View attachment 32576
A gust of wind flipped you? Maybe with a lot of wind shear? I think that full forward full up maybe the least stable flight mode. It may be light enough, with enough thrust, a fairly centered CG and a nasty little puff to do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman