DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Female droners

Nearlypastit

Reactions
My wife was asking if there are Lady/Female (not sure what I’m allowed to say these days, have to be careful) drone flyers. All the posts/comments seem to be to be from males. She’s not interested in flying a drone herself, she just wanted to know if there are any of a different sex other than males flying them, she’s nosy that way?
Bit of a frivolous question, if not allowed please delete.

My wife was asking if there are Lady/Female (not sure what I’m allowed to say these days, have to be careful) drone flyers
Of course. They aren't the majority, but they do exist in the wild ;)

Before the pandemic, I facilitated a drone workshop at the local computer club. Many there were women. The hit make/model was the Tello which could be flown indoors, under $100, and had vision/altitude stability. First one lady bought it, a couple weeks later I bought it (I'm a guy so I guess I don't count herel, and we weren't afraid to let others fly ours. Boy did they need practice getting familiar with the sticks!

Later a third lady bought one, inspired by the two of us with ours.

I recently went on a trip to Hainan in China and experienced major signal interference flying at a scenic spot, so I quickly landed my MA2 and placed it safely in my bag, too scared to fly any more at that location.

A while later, I saw another drone rise into the air and hover for a good 10-15mins above me. I found the pilot as it came in to land. It was a Mini 2 flown by a new flyer (hence mostly staying in one spot), and yes, she was a young woman in her 20s.

Last October I also went on a drone trip organized by my local DJI store. Around 30% of the tour group were old Chinese ladies who seemed to have the time and money to tour around China on a regular basis and added Mavic 2 Pros to the repertoire of gadgets (fancy cameras and gimbals) that they use to document their adventures.

Before the pandemic, I facilitated a drone workshop at the local computer club. Many there were women. The hit make/model was the Tello which could be flown indoors, under $100, and had vision/altitude stability. First one lady bought it, a couple weeks later I bought it (I'm a guy so I guess I don't count herel, and we weren't afraid to let others fly ours. Boy did they need practice getting familiar with the sticks!

Later a third lady bought one, inspired by the two of us with ours.
See recent thread I started in the the Smart Controller section on getting the SC to work with the Tello. Training newbies on Tello in basic flight handling and maneuvers instills confidence to step up to more sophisticated drones. When making transition, focus on creating Photos and or Video is easier without worrying about stick control.

Yes, there are. And there is a phenomenal organization called Women And Drones.

If you know of any female drone flyers, or want to support female drone pilots, join them. Home - Women And Drones

They also have an online Tuesday morning coffee break with Desi and Kim. Well worth joining that too. I try and ump in there when I can. You can find that link in the site above.

As I've been saying for quite a while, we need more estrogen in this community to offset the testosterone that flows so freely these days. ?

I’ve been flying drones for a little over 2 years now. Started with the Spark and now have the Air 2 and the mini 2 on the way ?. I didn’t know anyone else who flew drones but was so intrigued with getting additional angles for photography and videos. Watched a TON of YouTube videos to learn all about droning and the best techniques for flying. Best information for Canadian pilots is Don drones On YouTube channel! I don’t comment much but this group has also helped me a great deal! I love flying my drones and would now be lost without them.

As a commercial photographer long before drones existed, I've worked with some incredible woman photographers including my partner. We started flying drones about ten years ago, and currently fly an Air 2. Talent is not gender specific. Some of the best drone photographers in my area are woman. One of the best and entertaining YouTube videos explaining "quick shots" was this one.
. I guess what I'm asking is why in this day an age should this be a question? Me and my partner dual controlling a big old hex, with me wearing early Fat Sharks, and us today with the Air2 selfie.

Attachments

• landm.jpg
    landm.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 60
  • lorname copy.jpg
    lorname copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
Female here. Been flying since August. I'm also "of a certain age", lol. I started to get a different perspective for photography, and I love it. Looking forward to the return of warmer weather to explore new locations and viewpoints!

Female here. Been flying since August. I'm also "of a certain age", lol. I started to get a different perspective for photography, and I love it. Looking forward to the return of warmer weather to explore new locations and viewpoints!
Same here with the weather, our lockdown is stopping me venturing very far. Only bought my MA2 in December, my wife encouraged me to start. Certainly a lot to learn, so little time ?

My wife was asking if there are Lady/Female (not sure what I’m allowed to say these days, have to be careful) drone flyers. All the posts/comments seem to be to be from males. She’s not interested in flying a drone herself, she just wanted to know if there are any of a different sex other than males flying them, she’s nosy that way?
Bit of a frivolous question, if not allowed please delete.

I am a female drone pilot. Relatively new to it. I search for missing dogs and decided a drone would help with this, so I fundraised, bought the Enterprise 2 and decided to sit my Pfco and ACofC do that I knew the rules. I also paid for a days flying training.
so here I am looking to see what I can learn on this site to make me a little wiser and more confident.

I've been flying drones for nearly a year, have a Mavic Pro and have been trying to get some decent images of whales and dolphins - I live in the Hebrides where it is great for seeing these amazing cretures.
I too am disappointed when some of the contributors to this forum regard it as a boy's club and do the patronising "little lady" thing. Fortunately they are in the minority and nearly everyone is properly welcoming.

I am a female drone pilot. Relatively new to it. I search for missing dogs and decided a drone would help with this, so I fundraised, bought the Enterprise 2 and decided to sit my Pfco and ACofC do that I knew the rules. I also paid for a days flying training.
so here I am looking to see what I can learn on this site to make me a little wiser and more confident.
That’s interesting, my wife is always following the reports on lost dogs in our area. We have three, only small, 2 Shih Tzu’s and a Chihuahua.
Have you had much luck in locating many dogs?

Reactions: ATW

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland lizmiluk.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi All,
Female pilot here from beautiful green Oregon. I haven't posted much, initially because I was so ashamed that I had crashed my first drone, a Phantom 2+. But the more I read here, the more I realize that there are "those that have, and those that will"! After not flying for a few years, I am now getting used to my Mavic Air I and I love it. In addition to YouTube, this forum has been a valuable asset in my education. Many thanks to all who contribute!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_